redBlue

why did u choose to live in US instead of Canada?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmmm, Edmonton or New Orleans? Ya- that was a toughie.

My husband has a son here that he shares custody with so leaving LA would never be an option.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, Edmonton or New Orleans? Ya- that was a toughie.

LOL Yeah... I could've made my post a lot shorter, by just saying 'London, Ontario or Santa Barbara, California... gee whiz... I can't decide'... lol ;)

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say Welland, ON vs. Denver, CO seems like a easy choice as well... But they got a snow storm today! In April! Dannng...

I would say Welland, ON vs. Denver, CO seems like a easy choice as well... But they got a snow storm today! In April! Dannng...

Hey, I was in Denver! The airport at least. I almost got stranded overnight by myself! Good times :blink: lol

AND, one of the ladies I work with is from Welland... lol go fig.

It snowed here in April too, but that's nothing new. It almost, ALMOST actually feeeeels like spring now! *knock on wood*

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

My reasons are very similar to those which have already been mentioned. Logistically it makes more sense for me to move there, than for my husband to move here. My husband is far more "settled" in Tulsa than I am in Ottawa. We also decided that I am probably more adaptable than he is. He'd never left the U.S. before he came to visit me and meet my family back in January. Not that I'm well traveled or anything, because I'm not, but it seems to make the most sense for right now. My husband is learning more about Canada all the time, and he seems to be realizing that some things just make way more sense here than they do there, and he's even suggested that we just drop the CR-1 process and start moving things in the other direction. But we're almost done, so it wouldn't really make sense to give up now. At this point, we're figuring that I'll move down there for a few years and see how things go, and then reevaluate our situation. To be honest, I'm really scared about health care in the U.S. We don't intend to have children, so that's not an issue, but I have this overwhelming worry lately that I'm going to move down there and get a job JUST to pay for health care. The idea of that just sucks to me. It's probably not a rational worry, but it's still there.

Edited by Holliday

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Same reason as most people - He's more settled, owns a home, has a recession-proof job with great benefits (so not concerned about health care) and a salary which can support the both of us; plus I have more opportunity to advance myself there, rather than Toronto. I rent, could definitely not support him here and I LOVE NYC :) So it was, not at all, a hard decision for me to make.

I love Toronto, as well, but only in the summer, lol. And I will always consider myself a CANADIAN (and I will be wearing all of my "Canada" t-shirts when I'm out about) - even when it comes to applying for citizenship, hehe!

He does, however, want to move to Canada - some day.. He truly looks forward to becoming a Canadian citizen and would definitely move here if he could work in the same field, with the same salary, but for now, it's just not cutting it.

As far as raising children - I personally feel that it takes good planning no matter where you raise them :thumbs:

*True Love Has No Boundaries. Well... Except The US Border, Of Course!*

Service Centre: Vermont

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-05 *Finally!*

I-129F Received: 2009-03-06 *Package officially signed for*

Cheque Cashed: 2009-03-11 *Woohoo!*

I-129F NOA1: Dated- 2009-03-09 *Woohoo!*

I-129F RFE(s): *Prayers were answered!!! NONE!*

I-129F NOA2: Dated- 2009-07-31 *OMG! LOVE IT!!!*

Packet 3 Received: 2009-08-14 FINALLY!!!

Packet 3 Sent: 2009-09-02 *Totally procrastinated..sighs*

Packet 3 Received at Consulate: 2009-09-03 *Thank you, Canada Post*

Packet 4 Received: 2009-10-27

Interview Date: 2009-11-23 *APPROVED!!!*

Visa Received: 2009-12-03 *PRAISE GOD!!!*

US Entry: 2009-12-27 *YAAAY!*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have this overwhelming worry lately that I'm going to move down there and get a job JUST to pay for health care. The idea of that just sucks to me. It's probably not a rational worry, but it's still there.

It shouldn't be overwhelming, but it's not irrational.

You can buy insurance out of employment - however you have to 'qualify'. If you have anything that is pre-existing, that can be a problem.

We pay $300 a month, through my Husband's employer, for insurance that has a $6000 deductible.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I actually move to Canada from the United States. I love the U.S., but it made more sense for me to move. We were tired of having to settle for a week here or a week tere for the past three years. The immigration process to Canada was easier and took less time (six months when applying outland) versus the long processing times U.S. immigration involves.

My wife isn't opposed to moving to the U.S., but she wants to stay on the West Coast. She likes the idea of living in Oregon or Washington State. She also said that Austin seems nice and Houston wouldn't be necessarily be bad, but she likes to have some winter and thinks Houston is too large.

Overall, I don't mind Canada. We live in Vancouver, so the weather isn't too cold. We had snow this past winter, but my inlaws said we had a very unusual winter -- one that hadn't occurred in about 60 years. I also got tired of the 100°F and 100% humidity in Houston. :P

Top 10 Reasons to move South

1 - Carnell said it was too cold in Canada -hmmm I live in the Vancouver area

2 - He works for the US government, good pay, benefits, and a great job perfectly suited to him 4/10s and can work from home 85 % of the time

3 - He received a promotion and wants to work another 10 years

4 - He has a house

5 - I have lived in the states before (10 yrs) and have no objections to returning

6 - I have a touch of wanderlust in my blood

7 - Can't beat the weather in southern California

8 - One of my daughters will be living in the USA in about 2 years

9 - I will never make as much money here, as he does there

10 - Maternity leave is not an issue for us - we are passed having kids

That being said, if anything should happen to go wrong with the final part of the visa journey, Carnell said he would move to Canada, but I would have to turn the heat up more and use it more than just Nov 1 to Mar 31.

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Timeline

I moved here for pragmatic reasons as well as romantic ones. We are both older and living away from our families. Joe had a house, a permanent job paying 3 times my salary with a great deal of power and responsibility at work, and the ability to accommodate me into his lifestyle with little need for 'other' adjustments. He was also planning on retiring in a few years so it seemed ridiculous to leave a job now and start a new one in another country. I have no children and he has an adult daughter and two grandchildren in Texas. I was in a job that was dependent on my boss getting re-elected and would only continue for a few more years at most and lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in a small town. If Joe had moved to Canada we would both have had to move to a larger city where he would be able to work, but it would be unlikely he would get as good a job as he had and we would both have had to make a lot of concessions in our daily lives. So, I and my 6 cats moved to Georgia. I love the heat - Joe prefers the cold and would have been very happy with the climate in Canada, hehehehe. I would be happy never to see snow again. It just made more sense for me to relocate than for him to do so.

Will we ever move back to Canada? I don't know. We are literally equi-distant between both our families - his in Texas and mine in Ontario. The recent economic crisis has played havoc with his retirement plans so he will continue to work for a few more years at any rate. His job is secure and his job industry is actually thriving in this environment (tele-conferencing). I know I have concerns about health coverage when he retires and if we will have enough money to survive as I am too young yet to qualify for any of my retirement benefits from Canada. That may be a reason why we would consider relocating - again, pragmatic ones.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I moved to the US because I knew deep down that my hubby didn't want to move to Canada..

he would have of course if I hadn't gotten my visa

Wes wouldn't have really wanted to move either. He likes his job, but for us, its not like he is making more money or one of our benefits are better than anothers, we make about the same with the same type of benefits. I'm also not trying to escape my family as I love them to bits and am heartbroken about leaving them, but he is going to be my life, and I want to be wherever he is....we may eventually move back, never know. He on the other hand doesnt get along with his family at all and his job stresses him out, so we are really backwards. That being said, we didnt really talk much about where to live until I thought "hey...what if i don't get approved". He would move here in that case, but until then for some reason it was just a given I would move there, wasn't even something we had to decide....weird now that I think about it lol. Maybe its cuz I hate the snow. :lol:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Gene and I were both at a time in our lives where we could look at retiring early. I could take an early retirement in 2007, he still had 8 years to go. So, we decided that I would move to the US. Gene's job afforded me the opportunity to not have to access my pension, and not work when I came either, so that to me was an added bonus. He has an excellent health care provider as well. The horrible downside to all of this was leaving my two adult children in Canada. :(

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes and it goes to the 60's and 70's right after. Snow storms here are typical in April and early May. It's to be expected as this is our winter season right now. It goes summer, winter, fall/spring, winter, summer. Some of our biggest snow stroms are in Oct and May.

Good thing is 2 feet of snow is gone 2 days later like it never happened. Being at our latitute but at our Altitude and in the middle of the Pacific storm systems, the Gulf and the Artic systems, makes us one very unique weather climate here.

In fact expected to be 80's later this week and snow on the weekend. Welcome to Colorado winter...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Yes and it goes to the 60's and 70's right after. Snow storms here are typical in April and early May. It's to be expected as this is our winter season right now. It goes summer, winter, fall/spring, winter, summer. Some of our biggest snow stroms are in Oct and May.

Good thing is 2 feet of snow is gone 2 days later like it never happened. Being at our latitute but at our Altitude and in the middle of the Pacific storm systems, the Gulf and the Artic systems, makes us one very unique weather climate here.

In fact expected to be 80's later this week and snow on the weekend. Welcome to Colorado winter...

Its so crazy! I remember being down for a week in October of '07 and there was a huge snowstorm the night I landed. The next day it was gorgeous out! I was just wearing a light sweater and all the snow melted in a couple hours. That is something I love about Colorado... When its cold you know it probably won't last long, and when you get a foot of snow you know it won't linger for 2 months like it does here. That and its always sunny!! Its rare to see the sun between November-March up in Canada. When it comes out everyone makes a point to stop and talk about it... "wow look the sun came out!" :lol:

But, for some reason my skin always gets so dry! I'm going to struggle with that for a couple months... that and the sunburn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.