Flames9_RN

Cdn passport arrived

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I keep meaning to give an update on what happened with my passport process and here seems as good a place as any. lol

I did the simplified process. The passport office called both my references and asked very pointed questions:

What colour is her hair?

What colour are her eyes?

How tall is she?

How long have you known her?

How/where did you meet her?

What is her address?

We had a good laugh because my one friend answered all the questions wrong, and the other told the guy that she would have to call me and ask me for my address and then call him back. :lol:

I got the passport, anyway..... despite the fact that my friends of over 20 years don't know what I look like. :lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

too funny!! Idont think they called my references!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
How'd you manage to pay only $1 to courier it to Gatineau? Did you play your retired military card er sumthin? :P $30 was the cheapest I could get. Even USPS would have cost more for 1 day service.

I did not courier it. I just put it in a regular envelope.

i hope it takes 15 -20 days for mine too""

From the date it was received in Gatineau, mine was returned to me, with all my original documentation, and old passport, within a week. Very fast! They couriered it back to me via DHL.

wow !!!that's supersonic! :thumbs:

Edited by TXLADY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought I'd add on to this thread. I filled out the new form and sent off my pictures and old passport via fedex through work. Fedex picked it up on May 27th at 4:27pm and it was signed for in QC May 28th at 12:16pm. I currently livve in OK. I was impressed.

They took my money out of my account on June 2nd. So here I wait now, hoping to get my passport back before the end of the month. It would be cool to book a flight up there to see Canada Day fireworks again! =)

Joanne

Filed: Other Timeline

I had my passport back in less than 2 weeks.

Krikit, they didn't even call my references to check up on me. I wonder why it's so random?

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine was only slightly longer than reba's and I sent in my paspsort via SNAIL MAIL!!! Saved $$$$$$$ lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Krikit, they didn't even call my references to check up on me. I wonder why it's so random?

I think it's because I used the simplified process and was picking it up the following week. Not to mention I'm a non-resident. Either that, or I looked a wee bit suspicious. Must have been the beard and the moustache. lol

iagree.gif

I used the simplified renwal form as well, and I'm a non-resident. I sent it via courier to Gatineau from the US.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

OMG OMG you guys, I'm freaking out!!! Woohooo I got my new passpoprt in the mail TODAY!!!! That only took them 5 to 6 working days tops to get it back to me. They received my stuff on the 28th of May from Oklahoma!!!

Woohoo, I'm booking my trip tonight for Victoria!!! **bounce bounce** =)

Err hmmm this was something I didn't consider.

Just before I moved to Denver I had to get my passport renewed (it had expired) and when I did move here, I only traveled once back to Canada. I took my Maiden passport and a copy of the marriage cert with me, and it went fine.

I've since forgotten about it... should I send off to have a new one in my married name? :blush:

AOS/EAD/AP:

Apr. 24 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Sent to Chicago Lockbox

Apr. 25 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Arrived at Chicago

Apr. 30 2007: NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

May 02 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Cheques cashed

May 03 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Touched

May 22 2007: RFE

May 25 2007: Biometrics for EAD

May 29 2007: EAD Touched

Jun. 06 2007: Biometrics for AOS Completed at the same time as EAD

Jun. 08 2007: RFE sent back

Jun. 11 2007: RFE Rec'd

Jun. 13 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 14 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 18 2007: AOS Touched

Jul. 10 2007: EAD and AP Touched and approved!

Aug. 17 2007: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!

Lifting Conditions:

Jun. 15 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug. 14 2009: Biometrics

Sep. 17 2009: Approved!

Pillowcased: Diary of a Madwoman. Full timeline coming soon!

Timeline

Just before I moved to Denver I had to get my passport renewed (it had expired) and when I did move here, I only traveled once back to Canada. I took my Maiden passport and a copy of the marriage cert with me, and it went fine.

I've since forgotten about it... should I send off to have a new one in my married name? :blush:

I would just do the same each time you travel, until it's time to get a new one. It seems pointless to pay for a new passport, just for a name change when you just got a new one recently!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I would just do the same each time you travel, until it's time to get a new one. It seems pointless to pay for a new passport, just for a name change when you just got a new one recently!

Did you do an official name change in Canada? Otherwise your new one will be in your maiden name, no?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Ditto to what Jill said. I waited until mine expired before I renewed it with the name change. But, by that time, I had changed my mind about changing my name! :lol: It was less of a hassle to renew it that way, and I still have all my travel accounts in my former name, and changing them is a pita, so I just left well enough alone. I've never had a problem yet. *knock on wood*

iagree.gif

To be honest I haven't thought about Canadian docs since I left. My name would still be my maiden in Canada as far as I know. I didn't know I had to change it if I wasn't living there :innocent:

That's a good point though, I was just told to change it to my married name to make traveling easier, since my SSN/DL/etc. all have my married name on them now...

AOS/EAD/AP:

Apr. 24 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Sent to Chicago Lockbox

Apr. 25 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Arrived at Chicago

Apr. 30 2007: NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

May 02 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Cheques cashed

May 03 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Touched

May 22 2007: RFE

May 25 2007: Biometrics for EAD

May 29 2007: EAD Touched

Jun. 06 2007: Biometrics for AOS Completed at the same time as EAD

Jun. 08 2007: RFE sent back

Jun. 11 2007: RFE Rec'd

Jun. 13 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 14 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 18 2007: AOS Touched

Jul. 10 2007: EAD and AP Touched and approved!

Aug. 17 2007: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!

Lifting Conditions:

Jun. 15 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug. 14 2009: Biometrics

Sep. 17 2009: Approved!

Pillowcased: Diary of a Madwoman. Full timeline coming soon!

Just leave it as is, until you need a new one. And remember any time you fly anywhere make your reservations in your maiden name, because they can't let you on the plane if your passport name doesn't match the name on your ticket.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.