TdotGirl

Less Harassment When Crossing By Land or Air???

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I guess we can simplify this if we want to - I find it offensive when anyone describes people by the colour of their skin - is it irrelevant that the man was black? Yes. I guess Rhiann is the only one that knows what was behind her comment (but as I said, I frankly don't care).

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should have said "African American."

But most of the people I'm aware of are starting to say "black" again.

(No one calls white people "Caucasians". We're white)

I even accidentally said it in front of an African American man once, he didn't take offense.

(The situation's actually quite funny)

I guess it's a matter of what you think is offensive or not. I could have used the 'N' word if I wanted to actually offend him.

My airport comment:

The reason I said I was never impressed with them is because I have yet to find anyone there willing to help me when I needed help, and I've flown out of there like 5 times. I lost my passport in the Detriot airport and they got it back for me within 10 minutes.

I do like the check in staff though, I've never had problems with them. My latest trip (which I never made) had the nicest staff. Or maybe it was my dog, haha.

(Anyway, sorry about making the topic go off topic. I won't pursue anything after this comment.)

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I guess it's a matter of what you think is offensive or not. I could have used the 'N' word if I wanted to actually offend him.

Now I'm sorry I stood up for you.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Now I'm sorry I stood up for you.

Did I actually use it?

No.

Just because I said I COULD have used it, if I WANTED doesn't mean I would.

I know how offensive that word is.

I don't just go randomly insulting people.

Just saying I COULD have said worse.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

Rhiann: Saying "scary big black man" is offensive because the "black" part is irrelevant. By including "black" in the description you are implying that the "black" added to the "scary",which is prejudiced.

Your followup post is just gross. I hope you have the good sense to know why it is offensive. I would edit my comments if I were you.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I really don't see the issue here. Rhiann simply described the guy. Was he black? Yup. Was he scary? yup. So where is that offensive, racist or prejudiced? It seems to me that saying "scary black guy" is just a description, the same as if any other color, race or religion was used. It's not meant to insult, but to give a description.

The knee-jerk reaction here worries me. Have we, as a society, become so indoctrinated with politically correct beliefs, that we're now unable to form an opinion of our own? I'm not suggesting racism; however, I am suggesting that we look at each situation and judge accordingly. Just because someone has add "black" to "scary" doesn't mean that individual is racist.

Timeline

Tdotgirl - I have never crossed by bus, but I have a friend who is a customs officer at a land crossing, and she said they really give buses the once over as a matter of policy. Apparently buses are at higher risk for persons with criminal records, trying to smuggle drugs or commit immigration fraud. She also said that what kind of car you are driving when you cross can really affect how you are treated. If you are in an old beater car, they are going to want to see your ties to Canada.

In my own personal experience, I have always had less problems with land crossings, but I was crossing so often that the customs officers recognized me. I didn't get harassed - got teased a few times. I also had a Nexus card which greatly simplified things.

I also second the comments about who you are crossing with - I've crossed with my parents in their car a number of times and they barely make my dad slow down!

Timeline

A total aside here.....

My daughter is BROWN - she describes herself as BROWN and she's been doing it since she could talk (she's now 17) . As a person of colour she is not offended when someone calls her black or brown or African Canadian or African American - to her it's just a label. i think I'm more offended...but I take my cue from her

Whether it's the 'girl with the cute earrings' or the 'black girl' with the cute earrings...I seriously doubt she cares either way.

The only time labelling becomes offensive occurs when it singles someone out in a derogatory way IMO

I think She's only offend when someone says African American - because she's not american yet!

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I didn't think what she said was initially offense, however, her explanation of what she said was really stupid.

"I could have called him the "n" word...."

#######? Yeah you are right. You could have called him that. Wow, you look so much better now because you didn't call him the n word? Wow. You are SUCH a good person. You refrained from using a derogatory term! Good for you!

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

It's definitely not the word choice of black instead of African-American that caused the negative response. It's the fact that the man's colour was included at all. Generally, had someone had a scary experience with a white border and customs officer, they would have simply called him a "scary man". Race only seems to come into it when the person we are describing negatively is non-white.

~ Catherine

Timeline
It's definitely not the word choice of black instead of African-American that caused the negative response. It's the fact that the man's colour was included at all. Generally, had someone had a scary experience with a white border and customs officer, they would have simply called him a "scary man". Race only seems to come into it when the person we are describing negatively is non-white.

~ Catherine

You're so right Catherine. It's always in a negative tone, if the IO had been nice and friendly the colour of his skin most likely wouldn't have been brought up i.e. "the sweet and friendly black guy" it had to be that he was scary. Oh gee I'll stop now because I don't feel like getting into a heated argument today and I could go on for awhile

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I guess I see things from a different angle entirely...although I totally see the point that colour can be added in a negative way.

My daughter and her friends include colour/ race all the time in their descriptions of people - 'the cute white guy with the red pants', 'the black dude....'.

Different tone......I get upset when she and her friends (those of colour) use the 'N'word in reference to eachother.....to them it's a funny nickname, not derogatory...obviously not something a white friend could get away with....when you take away the nasty association - it's just a word.

I don't care for them using it, i consider it to be them putting themselves down, but they see it in a totally different light and it's not a big deal

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

~ Catherine

Not necessarily. If Rhiann was black, she might have said she dealt with a "scary white guy." The truly racist thing about that is a black man or woman could have said such and not received criticism. If a white man or woman says something similar, all hell breaks loose.

In fact, I've seen such activities here in this forum. A while back in "The Vent" thread, a few members of this forum heavily criticized people they know at work along with using the label "Jewish." Some made the pretense of saying, "I know not all Jewish people are like this" but the point remains that being a Jew came into the picture somehow.

Now tell me... how is being Jewish any more relevant than someone being black? The answer is it's not. So if one is allowed, without fear of reprisal, the other must be allowed as well. Anything else would be discriminatory.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Timeline
If Rhiann was black, she might have said she dealt with a "scary white guy."

"might" being the important word, there.

In fact, I've seen such activities here in this forum. A while back in "The Vent" thread, a few members of this forum heavily criticized people they know at work along with using the label "Jewish." Some made the pretense of saying, "I know not all Jewish people are like this" but the point remains that being a Jew came into the picture somehow.

Now tell me... how is being Jewish any more relevant than someone being black? The answer is it's not. So if one is allowed, without fear of reprisal, the other must be allowed as well. Anything else would be discriminatory.

The point you are making is irrelevant to me. Why? Because I was the one who brought up the Jewish thing then, and I was also the one now who said I didn't have a problem with what Rihan said INITIALLY even if it's not really relative to note his race.

I was telling a story when I mentioned the Jewish thing, and also, I was asking a question out loud as to whether or not my boss is like this because it is just her, or is it because of stereotypical ethnic things I have heard about Jewish women in general. It was relevent to note her ethnicity as it was part of my questioning my bad situation at work and what others were saying around me. Some people took offense to that, just like some are taking offense to it now.

I'm not offended by it.

What I was offended by was her later comments in where she states, "at least I didn't call him the n word.."

Edited by thetreble

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
Not necessarily. If Rhiann was black, she might have said she dealt with a "scary white guy." The truly racist thing about that is a black man or woman could have said such and not received criticism. If a white man or woman says something similar, all hell breaks loose.

I'm an equal opportunity ciritc. :devil:

I have no idea what race Rhiann is. Her ancestry doesn't really change the fact that I most often see race added to negative descriptions of a person when that person isn't white. We just don't tend to feel the person's race is relevant when they are white.

Seeing fit to add that the border person was Jewish, Muslim, an immigrant, a transvestite or any other commonly maligned group would have been equally questionable.

~ Catherine

Edited by BermyCat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.