TdotGirl

Less Harassment When Crossing By Land or Air???

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi my fellow Canucks!!! :)

Quick question:

I plan on visiting my fiance, soon enough (not sure when, as of yet), and I'm up in the air about how I should travel...

I've been flagged back in 2007 and I've been harassed pretty much everytime I cross since then (which is why I carry a HUGE package of evidence showing ties to Canada and never lie) but the interrogation that I have to deal with (which is on and off - I guess it depends on which officer didn't get dibs on the chocolate timbits) is emotionally frustrating and puts me in great distress (I always go straight to the bathroom after they allow me entry and literally bawl my eyes out in the stall) ...

So my question is...

In your opinion would I be less harassed if I take a bus or fly (flights are ridiculous, so I'm considering the bus *sighs*)???

**It's been awhile since I last crossed the border (July 2008) because I HATE dealing with the unecessary drama they put me through so I'm not even emotionally prepared as I usually am (I used to go every month from 2007 - 2008)

Oh..also.. I'm planning on including a copy of our K1 package along with the original NOA1 with the rest of my "ties" evidence - Opinions anyone? Good idea? Bad idea???

bkg info:

I'm from Toronto hoping to fly to either LGA or JFK (I hate going to Newark) so anyone who can relate, as far as location goes, I would appreciate your replies :)

THANKS A BUNCH, in advance (I guess that wasn't so quick afterall, my bad, lol)!!!

*True Love Has No Boundaries. Well... Except The US Border, Of Course!*

Service Centre: Vermont

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-05 *Finally!*

I-129F Received: 2009-03-06 *Package officially signed for*

Cheque Cashed: 2009-03-11 *Woohoo!*

I-129F NOA1: Dated- 2009-03-09 *Woohoo!*

I-129F RFE(s): *Prayers were answered!!! NONE!*

I-129F NOA2: Dated- 2009-07-31 *OMG! LOVE IT!!!*

Packet 3 Received: 2009-08-14 FINALLY!!!

Packet 3 Sent: 2009-09-02 *Totally procrastinated..sighs*

Packet 3 Received at Consulate: 2009-09-03 *Thank you, Canada Post*

Packet 4 Received: 2009-10-27

Interview Date: 2009-11-23 *APPROVED!!!*

Visa Received: 2009-12-03 *PRAISE GOD!!!*

US Entry: 2009-12-27 *YAAAY!*

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I've never ever been harassed or even heavily questioned when I fly through Pearson. I've also flown through Porter and went through customs at Newark and it was a breeze. I would visit every 2-3 months though for a weekend or 5 days at a time. So I feel like they didn't really see me as an immigration threat.

When I used to take the bus, going back 4-5 years now, I used to get heavily questioned and it was a bit scary, but I was also very young and I'm sure they really were questioning why a 20 year old girl was travelling on the Greyhound by herself on the overnight bus... now that I look back on that I feel like I did use slightly poor judgement.

The train is actually really nice because you stay in your seat and the Border Guards come up to you. They don't have a computer or anything, so they just ask a few questions and then move in. Maybe they have computers now and I haven't been that way for awhile, but it was quite nice.

That's just my experience though and I can't see why you would have any issues if you have your ties and K1 info.

Good Luck!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You may not have a problem on this visit since your last visit was last summer. I suspect part of your problem was because you were crossing so frequently they weren't sure of your intent. Carrying your folder of proof is important and yes, include a copy of the I-129f/K-1 package as well. I used to alternate on a monthly basis travelling with my fiance. I had to cross the border at Windsor to fly out of Detroit to Georgia and was pulled into secondary twice. They went through my folder, my purse and in both cases when they got to the I-129f file, they took a quick look at it, closed the file up and told me I was good to go.

So, I suspect you would less hassled by air than by bus but the choice is yours. Remember, you ARE doing everything right, so try not to let them get to you. Bring your evidence and have confidence in your honesty. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks so much ladies!!!

I think I just needed some emotional support, a lil kick and some words of encouragement to reassure me that I'll be good. :thumbs:

*True Love Has No Boundaries. Well... Except The US Border, Of Course!*

Service Centre: Vermont

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-05 *Finally!*

I-129F Received: 2009-03-06 *Package officially signed for*

Cheque Cashed: 2009-03-11 *Woohoo!*

I-129F NOA1: Dated- 2009-03-09 *Woohoo!*

I-129F RFE(s): *Prayers were answered!!! NONE!*

I-129F NOA2: Dated- 2009-07-31 *OMG! LOVE IT!!!*

Packet 3 Received: 2009-08-14 FINALLY!!!

Packet 3 Sent: 2009-09-02 *Totally procrastinated..sighs*

Packet 3 Received at Consulate: 2009-09-03 *Thank you, Canada Post*

Packet 4 Received: 2009-10-27

Interview Date: 2009-11-23 *APPROVED!!!*

Visa Received: 2009-12-03 *PRAISE GOD!!!*

US Entry: 2009-12-27 *YAAAY!*

Timeline

Don't worry, be confident! I always get super nervous too when crossing, but I know I'm being 100% truthful and have nothing to hide.... I was always extremely honest about everything.... never had any problems, knock on wood!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Its funny looking back now... I crossed for years saying I was going to visit my boyfriend, and even crossed once saying I was going to visit my fiance, blissfully unaware that they may ask for evidence of ties to Canada. A couple times I even crossed with a 1 way ticket and was never questioned or taken to secondary. I think it helped that I would normally cross with my father when he was taking me to the airport in Buffalo. He is a fairly large and intimidating looking man... That and he would vouch for me if anything ever came up that would identify me as suspicious. "She'll come home or i'll kick her a$$!" :lol:

But i've only ever crossed by car, so I'm probably not much help. If you've had bad experiences with using the bus in the past, maybe you want to consider a different option, just for the peace of mind. Honestly, plane tickets are expensive but they are so worth it. You can get places so much quicker!! For really impatient, restless people like me, planes are the way to do it.

On a completely random note, JFK is such a ghetto airport! I had to connect there once and there were birds flying around in the terminal. Sooo weird... :lol:

Timeline

I have also been both harrassed and treated very well while crossing the border. My experience is that land is easier than by air, but I've never travelled by bus over the border, which sounds kinda painful. I too have gotten very nervous, but always brought mounds of paperwork, was always honest and respectful, even when they were rude.

The good news is that once you get through all this process and get your green card, it becomes easy. I teared up a bit when one time the U.S. border dude, said "welcome back". After all the tense border crossings, this was wonderful.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

For me the train has always been the easiest border crossing. The last time I took the train was just over a year ago and they didn't have anything on board with them to check passports. It's nice that they come to you in your seat also. On my last trip via train the border officer looked at my passport and ticket and asked me what my plans were, who am I going to see, etc. and I told her I was going to see my fiance for a week and that was the end of it. She didn't ask me for ties to Canada or anything (though I was quite ready for her to!).

Flying was never too much of an issue for me either, but for some reason I always found them to be extremely intimidating. I took the bus once early on and it wasn't too bad (but I was probably lucky in my ignorance of all this stuff). Driving across was the worst. Almost every single time I was taken in to secondary for questioning. I was even turned away once. I had my whole folder of proof of ties to Canada and the officer barely looked at any of it. Very upsetting experience. Went back the next day though and that time the officer didn't input my passport info so I went straight through.

I think if you're looking for the least harassment though, the train is the way to go. But like everyone else is saying... you should be just fine any way you decide to go if you have all your proof of ties docs and so long as you're truthful.

Good luck !!! :)

K-1 Visa Timeline

01.07.08 Sent in I-129f package

01.24.08 NOA1

03.25.08 NOA2

04.18.08 Package 3 received

05.07.08 Medical @ Dr. Seiden's in T.O.

05.09.08 Sent back checklist & forms

05.13.08 Mtl received & eligible for interview

06.12.08 Called DOS & found out interview date

06.19.08 Received interview letter

07.24.08 Interview in Montreal - Approved!! :D

07.28.08 Received Visa!!!

08.04.08 POE Alexandria Bay

08.18.08 Civil Ceremony

10.11.08 Wedding

AOS Timeline

04.25.09 Sent in AOS, EAD, AP package

04.27.09 Accepted at Chicago Office

05.01.09 NOAS for AOS, EAD & AP

05.12.09 Biometrics Appt letter

06.02.09 Biometrics done

07.01.09 EAD card production ordered & AP approval

07.09.09 Received AP

07.13.09 Received EAD

07.17.09 Received AOS interview notice

08.17.09 AOS interview - Approved !! :D

Removing Conditions

08.16.11 I-751 received by VSC

08.24.11 NOA came in mail

09.07.11 Biometrics appt notice

09.30.11 Biometrics appt

I don't have anything to offer in terms of which type of crossing would be better, or what in addition to what you have, you should bring. I was interested however to read your thread and how horrible your experiences have been! Upon reflection, have you ever thought of why this is so? I know you said about the timbits :lol: but really, why do you think you are harassed at such a high level?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I have taken every form of transportation to visit my now husband in the US. Car, Plane, Train and Bus.

I find that the Train and Plane is more hassel-free than Car and Bus.

Bus is just a big hassel, not because of the treatment you get, but because you have to wait for 50 people to get checked out before you can leave again. I once was at the border by bus for 8 hours waiting for every one to go through. If they pull someone into secondary and question them, the bus has to wait there for them to see if they are going to get back on the bus or if they will stay there. I, like Sapphire, traveled many nights on a bus and got some qu estions because i'm sure it was suspicious for a 20 year old girl to be doing that kind of thing. And again, as I look back on it like she does, I was dumb. I could have been assaulted or very seriously hurt.

Any ways, why were you flagged in 2007?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I got flagged recently myself, and it was at Pearson.

I just got an overly alert officer.

I've never really been impressed with Pearson's staff... not that the land border near Detroit was much better.

So many questions, and by a scary big black guy.

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
I've never really been impressed with Pearson's staff.

Are you supposed to be impressed with airport staff? I'm not sure what this comment really means.

I've flown out of Pearson more times than I can remember for all sorts of things and it's always been great. Come fly through EWR and you will have something really different to compare it to.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never really been impressed with Pearson's staff... not that the land border near Detroit was much better.

Wow Rhiann, the comment you just made about the person being a scary big 'black' guy is so offensive.

I don't know what your prejudices are and frankly I don't care - but can you please keep them to yourself.

Tdot, it sounds like you are well prepared with ties etc, try to remember that and be confident.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow Rhiann, the comment you just made about the person being a scary big 'black' guy is so offensive.

I don't know what your prejudices are and frankly I don't care - but can you please keep them to yourself.

Tdot, it sounds like you are well prepared with ties etc, try to remember that and be confident.

I don't think it's offense or at least, not intentionally so. The above was simply a description. Granted, the "black" portion of it probably wasn't needed, but all she did was describe his appearance. It's not like she said anything racist or derogatory.

Timeline

I have to agree with DPX, Trailmix. She wasn't saying "all black men are scary". What if she had said, "the big white scary man..." I don't think any of us would have thought anything of it. Was it necessary to note that he was black? Probably not. But I really don't think she meant anything offensive by it unless she comes out and shares those specific views with every one.

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.