I AM NOT THAT GUY

United To Charge Heavier Passengers Twice To Fly

155 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

How come two people sitting side by side have to share just one armrest?

Have you read the limits of liability on your plane tickets lately? If they kill you, you are only worth a couple of bucks.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
United To Charge Heavier Passengers Twice To Fly

Airline Says Overweight Travelers Will Need To Buy Extra Seats Or Be Denied Entry To Planes

If "beefy" or "curvy" describes you, here is a word of warning: United Airlines will begin aggressively enforcing a new policy that allows it to charge heavier passengers twice to fly.

WBBM Newsradio 780 has learned that Chicago-based United has instructed its customer service representatives at O'Hare International Airport ticket counters and gates to be extra vigilant beginning Wednesday for passengers they deem to be overweight. Those unable to comfortably fasten a safety belt with one extension or sit comfortably with armrests down will be denied boarding unless they purchase an extra seat, even if they can be placed elsewhere in the aircraft next to an empty seat.

If no empty seat exists, the passenger will be forced to take a later flight.

Couples flying together who can fit in adjoining seats are exempted "unless one of them complains," a United spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said it is responding to complaints from passengers.

While the directive has some United customer service representatives questioning the wisdom or legality of such charges, the airline spokesperson told WBBM that the double charge has become common practice in the industry, and that United is the last airline to adopt such a policy.

O'Hare's other major carrier, American Airlines, begs to differ. American spokesman Tim Smith said that while the airline has the right to require a second ticket, it will do so only if it can find no other solution, such as re-seating the passenger next to an empty seat at no extra charge.

"I don't remember us ever having to impose such a charge," said American spokesperson Mary Frances Fagan.

The United spokesperson said it intends to impose the charge even when empty seats exist and passengers can be re-seated next to one. The spokesperson said United quietly adopted the policy earlier this year.

Southwest Airlines also is known to be aggressive about imposing the double charge.

http://cbs2chicago.com/business/united.ove...s.2.985271.html

having flown 400K miles on united, I say it's way past time.

I have to agree, flown over 500,000 miles in 4 years, Nothing worse than having a 500 pound person in the seat next to you.

Or should I say half in his set and half on top of you for a 9 hour flight, they need 2 seats pay for 2 seats.

The airline charges for overweight luggage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i can see what will happen now. the airline will charge for 2 seats and give only one. i just came back from hawaii a few months ago and that plane was so full u couldnt even move. we requested a window and the one next to it two months in advance and we ended up with inside seats. they wouldnt let us change either. it was horible.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks. I will have to try that.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Do I get a half-price ticket if I only take up half a seat? ;)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

well from a buiness point of view, i can undestand it because can u imagin if the plane is only half full because bigger people are taking up 2 seats?how much money they would lose, so the tickets would get higher to everybody instead and im sorry it is expensive enough as it is...

but then i feel bad for the bigger people, they allready have a lot to deal with on the everyday basis and then thet gotta pay double just to travel, must be very humiliating and of course expensive...

so yea that s a tuff one...

been dating since june 1st 2007

dec-08 -officially engaged,i went back to France to apply for k1

2-11-09:noa1

3-06-09:My angel is visiting me

3-16-09:my angel is going back to the states

6-06-09: received NOA 2 HARDCOPY!!!!! ( notice date:-05-29-09)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Do I get a half-price ticket if I only take up half a seat? ;)

Why not double up, and join the mile high club at the same time? A darkened cabin, and a strategically placed blanket...Laie_7.gif

I've wondered why it's called the "mile high club" considering most flights go several miles up. If you do it on the ground in Denver, shouldn't that qualify?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

So how do the customer service reps for United "eyeball" if a passenger is just barely going to fit in one seat or whether the passenger's "fat" is going to pour over into the next seat? And what about tall people? Not only are they themselves uncomfortable, but passengers next to a tall person also get disturbed by tangling legs or legs that have no where to rest...

Yeah its darn uncomfortable sitting next to "one of those fat people", but this new policy does not make sense. :blink:

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hm I wonder how they spot people... Honestly, I would be fine if everyone gets weighed at the check-in like the luggage does. Every single thing in the world if hauled on planes or ships gets charged by pound, why not people. I would not feel discriminated, it makes sense, each pound more is more expensive to transport. I wouldn't mind at all. And if I gain a lot of weight and it gets pricey, it would be quite the incentive for me to loose it, as I am stingy.

United has the worst seats in my opinion though. On my recent flight I noticed they are very close to each other, closer than in Lufthansa planes. Also they did not give us the booked bassinet seat and made me hold my baby on my lap instead and the attendants were extremely rude. It was my worst flight experience and surely I will never take this airline again.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!