I AM NOT THAT GUY

United To Charge Heavier Passengers Twice To Fly

155 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think the biggest seats in coach are something like 17"

I honestly think this is a great idea. If I took up more than one seat I would gladly pay for another one. I wouldn't want anyone sitting on top of me so why would I expect someone to put up with me sitting on top of them?

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Average seat size is definitely "country" dependent. Cebu Pacific Airlines (that's the name, right?) - their seats are super narrow!

US seats are average too - people that are way above average should have to pay more.

Personally I think that the people who complain should pay more - either put up or shut up.

Its economy class for a reason. If you don't want to sit next to someone farting their ####### off, having a child scream in your ear, or having someone's arms in your lap - you pay first class.

What, there are no babies in first class and no one farts in first class?

Oh lets not start with the petty ####### for tat - you know exactly what I mean.

If you don't like the conditions on your flight you pay for a better seat, but some things you have to live with regardless.

Yeah, I know what you mean, buy first class because some fatty is comfortable squeezing into his/her seat and my sit too.

What makes you think that they're "comfortable"?

Flying economy class is generally a shitty experience at the best of times.

Not really shitty... maybe for spoiled rotten Americans it is, true, very true. Overall the experience isn't that bad.... no smoking, clean, food is usually available and if not, you can bring your own, seat reclines just fine for me (what can be expected without being in FC)... blah, blah, blah, it really isn't that bad. Not that much different than a car really.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

I wouldn't feel bad. She picked that lifestyle.

That's true, but can you imagine not being able to do such a simple thing as go on a roller-coaster!?

I think there must be a point where you just give up. It's got so bad you just give up even caring about it anymore. You lose all hope in ever getting rid of the weight.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Why are we fixating on the morbidly obese? Its an extreme - most regular people have problems sitting in those seats, so while someone who weighs 400lbs is going to cause a problem logistically, the reality is that economy class seats are crappy at the best of times - and regular sized people have problems fitting into them.

I may have got lost since the OP but I thought that if they DO NOT FIT in one seat and require two seats, thus depriving the airline of revenue then they will have to pay for two seats. They could offset the cost by eating less.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Average seat size is definitely "country" dependent. Cebu Pacific Airlines (that's the name, right?) - their seats are super narrow!

US seats are average too - people that are way above average should have to pay more.

Personally I think that the people who complain should pay more - either put up or shut up.

Its economy class for a reason. If you don't want to sit next to someone farting their ####### off, having a child scream in your ear, or having someone's arms in your lap - you pay first class.

Oh lets not start with the petty ####### for tat - you know exactly what I mean.

If you don't like the conditions on your flight you pay for a better seat, but some things you have to live with regardless.

Yeah, I know what you mean, buy first class because some fatty is comfortable squeezing into his/her seat and my sit too.

Not really shitty... maybe for spoiled rotten Americans it is, true, very true. Overall the experience isn't that bad.... no smoking, clean, food is usually available and if not, you can bring your own, seat reclines just fine for me (what can be expected without being in FC)... blah, blah, blah, it really isn't that bad. Not that much different than a car really.

Then what are you complaining about?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's true, but can you imagine not being able to do such a simple thing as go on a roller-coaster!?

I think there must be a point where you just give up. It's got so bad you just give up even caring about it anymore. You lose all hope in ever getting rid of the weight.

I think that was kinda the point she was at! To make matter worse, or maybe it should have given her hope...., she had a totally identical twin who was smaller than her. Still obese, but notably smaller. And you have no idea how much self control it is taking me not to tell you this girls first name. I'm being nice :)

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Timeline
Why are we fixating on the morbidly obese? Its an extreme - most regular people have problems sitting in those seats, so while someone who weighs 400lbs is going to cause a problem logistically, the reality is that economy class seats are crappy at the best of times - and regular sized people have problems fitting into them.

I may have got lost since the OP but I thought that if they DO NOT FIT in one seat and require two seats, thus depriving the airline of revenue then they will have to pay for two seats. They could offset the cost by eating less.

Well yes that's true - if the flight is full and you can't fit in your seat, they'll either make you buy a second or have you wait for one that isn't full.

Of course the same issues that apply to the morbidly obese apply, for example, to the disabled.

Hence - charging by weight will get the disabled up in arms if an 80lb paraplegic has to pay a $400 surcharge because of the weight of his wheelchair.

Noone thought about that one did they...

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm not morbidly obese (or even obese), nor am I particularly tall. But I have a hard time being comfortable in the tiny space allocated between seats (as in the space for my legs/feet). If I could afford first class, I'd do it :)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yeah. I know. I used one of that reason as to why not to choose that lifestyle. I am aware. Too bad for her. If she has motivation then she'll probably loose weight. However, I don't like poking nose into someone else problems.

Why do you assume that an obese person is a she? :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not complaining. It has never happened to me personally (obese sitting beside me). I'm just saying that I think they should pay more. That it is fair.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

I think that was kinda the point she was at! To make matter worse, or maybe it should have given her hope...., she had a totally identical twin who was smaller than her. Still obese, but notably smaller. And you have no idea how much self control it is taking me not to tell you this girls first name. I'm being nice :)

I've gained and lost A LOT of weight a few times due to taking steroids for a back problem. When I see people who are morbidly obese I feel really bad for them, but at the same time I know if you want to lose that weight bad enough, you WILL do whatever it takes to lose it. I think denial sets it when you get to a certain size. You never realize how big you are/were until something major happens to open your eyes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah. I know. I used one of that reason as to why not to choose that lifestyle. I am aware. Too bad for her. If she has motivation then she'll probably loose weight. However, I don't like poking nose into someone else problems.

Because he was replying to my post where I talked about a GIRL that I went to University with! :P

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

because marina said it was a she

Timeline

I'm not complaining. It has never happened to me personally (obese sitting beside me). I'm just saying that I think they should pay more. That it is fair.

It isn't fair though - its very difficult to practically implement, especially if you get into the area of looking at other people who require "special handling" as far as seating requirements go.

Pricing the disabled out of air travel isn't exactly going to win you any friends.

It is another case of class envy: No necks versus the pencil necks! :lol: