apgk

First time travel back Russia

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

After coming to US in 2007, I am planning to visit family back in Russia this Summer (July-Aug 09).

I have my permanent resident card. But my Russian (international/travel) passport will

expire during Dec 09.

My question is - will there be any problem returning back to US

during Aug 09 if the passport expires during Dec 09?

There seem to be some >6month passport expiry requirement when

entering US for visitors (but may be its only valid for visitor visas).

By the way, I got myself registered the San Francisco consulate

last year, but still dont want to bother myself now to get in the line

for renewal of my Russian passport.

I don't see why it would be a problem, but you probably should get in line to renew your passport. If not in San Francisco, then when you go home for visit. (Time permitting.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I don't see why it would be a problem, but you probably should get in line to renew your passport. If not in San Francisco, then when you go home for visit. (Time permitting.)

Unfortunately, the name in the passport has to be the one on the plane tickets. Unless you can afford two one-way tickets in maiden name on outward and married name on return, it's not really practical to renew your passport while you're visiting home.

I was planning to do that myself, only to discover that it's a Federal requirement that the ticket name and passport name match and the airline will refuse to carry you if they don't.

Either take your maiden name passport, marriage certificate and green card on your trip OR renew your passport before you leave America. Better to brave the queue than find yourself stuck back at home with the prospect of buying another ticket. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

only to discover that it's a Federal requirement that the ticket name and passport name match and the airline will refuse to carry you if they don't.

Either take your maiden name passport, marriage certificate and green card on your trip OR renew your passport before you leave America. Better to brave the queue than find yourself stuck back at home with the prospect of buying another ticket. :)

It's up to the airline, and the FAA rules that say they must "match" mean they must be the same person. Obviously, they don't want Muhammed bin Al-Jazeera using Ali Hassan al Ammani's passport. Your wife should be carrying just about every form of ID she has and it will be obvious to the person checking IDs and tickets that she is, in fact, the same person as the ticketed passenger.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.