Leyla

MENA men say the darndest things....

128 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Sofyan use to have these cute little things but after being here for a few years it has sadly went away. Although the other day he asked me if i could get him a beer from the fridge and instead of saying rolling rock he said rocking rock :)

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
My husband knew that a quiz was coming up at school but he wasn't sure what night of the week it would be. He went up to the woman teaching the class and asked, "could you tell me please when you will give the squeeze?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Luckily my husband has thick skin 'cause the kids always making him say english words over and over and they crack up. He laughs right along with them though.

He's stopped saying piss thank God. Not that my kids don't know all the swear words but I was afraid he'd say it in front of my parents or something. He still says azz though even though I try to tell him to say bum instead.

Yes, azz was a big one here also until I had to put my foot down about it. I also had to say something about piss too because my son was repeating him. Not that he hasn't heard it before but I didn't want him to thank it was ok.

I just thought of another one...when my husband first came he would shake hands with people and say welcome to America.....he got it turned around that they were supposed to say that. He also tells too much....mom came over last night and he said have you been to the Hustler store? OMG, I about turned 15 shades of red, mom said no, have you? A conversation I could have kicked his butt for.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I burped ALOT when I was pregnant, I don't know why. My husband tried to playfully call me a pig one day after I belched, instead he blurted out "HAM!!". I had to explain to him that was like wanting to call someone a cow but instead calling them beef.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The first time I heard my ex call toes, "foot fingers" I was dying!!!! My husband says basically the same. Or he'll call his entire arm, his hand, lol.

The cutest things are due to accent. "I think so" sounds like "I sink so". "This and that" sounds like "Zhis and zhat". Stuff like that. I try very hard to contain myself because it is cute but I know it hurts his feelings if I mock.

I told my husband that I am his wife and it's my job to mock him :) It's actually something cute we do to bond. It's also a fun inside joke every now and again. He mocks me too when I say Moroccan words wrong.

Here are some words he taught me:

Hshouma (shame on you): I say: Ashouma

Laqlaq: Crane (the bird) ... I guess I just don't say one of the "A" sounds right... but I think I do it just fine.

Sir tkhra (Go poop): That one is just funny.

He also taught me: Bzazel and Trma (if you don't know... ask your Moroccan spouse lol)

I wish he would teach me something useful. lol

You've got me curious on this one. I thought I knew most of the dirty stuff. :devil:

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I burped ALOT when I was pregnant, I don't know why. My husband tried to playfully call me a pig one day after I belched, instead he blurted out "HAM!!". I had to explain to him that was like wanting to call someone a cow but instead calling them beef.

:rofl: This just cracked me up!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The main reason I don't speak Arabic outloud much is because of the mocking. I'm such a baby. I know it's because he thinks it sounds cute. In Egypt I was like a novelty act...make Kara say...

Ok I'm bored..can you tell?

What's your favorite (unusual) Arabic nickname that your SO has given you?

Mine is "fellaha". Ya fellaha. I dunno why it strikes me as funny. Partly because of the meaning and partly because of the sound. He gave me this name because #1. He's from a rural town and I'm his wife. #2. Michigan (particularly the 'burbs) isn't the most modern/urban of settings.

Mine is "Kanufa" and of course... "Magnouna" B)

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

oh my god, i have laughed so hard reading this thread!!!!

Nick names... I call him Habibi he calls me azz or meg or his queen( its a inside joke )

His family, i love every one of them..... can not say Megan so they call me Maggy, every thing is Maggy Maggy Maggy, but i love it

I have been schooling him on American slang before he comes so he wont freak out, you know here in the south every thing is "dear" or "sweet heart" and you know our guys can get jelouse

as for funny things he says He does the "clozez" or he has to change his wear and the boop not poop thing, i told him tonight i will miss all this when he has perfect english because its all soooooo cute

Gotta love our sweet MENA men.

Edited by Mrs.Bayoumi

p4121284vy5.jpg

"And ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."

"5000 miles away and you are still right here, in my heart and mind.

October 2 2008~~ K-1 mailed

October 8 2008~~ check cashed

October 10 2008~~~ NOA1 recived

11411.gif

I think it is so cute how my husband is starting to learn more words and expressions that he hears me use.

Out of the blue he just comes out and says something so different than what he usually will say and will express himself quite well.

He also has said things like..."do you accept my sorry :( " lol

My DH always says "I have to wear my clo-thez" or "go to wear your clo-thez" instead of "I have to get dressed". It doesn't matter how many times I tell him about dressing. He must think it's about the girly dress and he just won't say it.

He also says Salaam o lakum every time instead of greeting. Like "send my salam olakum to your mom" or "do you salaam olakum by hand with any guys?" I don't even try to correct that, I think it's more meaningful than saying "greetings".

Oh and he always says "look at me" when he means "pay attention". Even when we're on the phone, it makes me laugh when he gets serious and says "look at me very carefully".

I'm sure there are so many more, but it's so late/early my brain is ... weak.

Oh he also says, "I keep you in my eyes" which might be like an arabic expression about taking care of someone... like akin to 'keeping an eye on you' ... or something but I'm not sure.

My hubby too

ahmeds new words: pain in the butt, choke, fart, ha he asks if these are fingers (hands) what are these called (toes), crock pot comes off sounding like ####### pot, liquid sounds like lick ed, when we say (you guys) that can be girls to? (nurse) can be man or woman? the girls at work told me to write a book its something new everyday :thumbs: and a saying for every instance, (at home we have this saying) oh and i shouldnt take a shower so soon after eating, i ask says who and he said the dr, i did anyway then, i felt like he was checking to see and he asks you feel fine now?

(he does the cat box without me asking)

oh and to go to my daughters we can go (country route) or highway, he asks which way we will go the cowboy way?

I was just remembering something else that I find very endearing. It's non-verbal. When the kids or I ask the mister to do something or get something he'll point to each eye. Basically, he's saying yes.

awwwwwwwwwww :luv:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband and I were talking one day before my first trip to Morocco and I asked him if the milk there was pasturized, he said yes of course and the conversation moved on to something else. A few days later it must have been in his head again because he asked me "is the milk there.. b... b.." and of course I knew what he was trying to say but I wanted to hear what he came up with and he finally said "Is the milk baptised?" so I said yes, of course we only drink milk that has been blessed in the name of the father.. the son.. and the holy spirit.

Another time I was teasing him about how he was going to be bald one day like his brother and he proceeded to tell me that his brother was already bald by the time he was my husbands age and it was because "he drank from the ####### of my aunt and all her sons are bald" I had to explain to him that he should say "nursed from my aunt" between trying to catch my breath from laughing so hard.

Filed: Other Timeline
My husband and I were talking one day before my first trip to Morocco and I asked him if the milk there was pasturized, he said yes of course and the conversation moved on to something else. A few days later it must have been in his head again because he asked me "is the milk there.. b... b.." and of course I knew what he was trying to say but I wanted to hear what he came up with and he finally said "Is the milk baptised?" so I said yes, of course we only drink milk that has been blessed in the name of the father.. the son.. and the holy spirit.

Another time I was teasing him about how he was going to be bald one day like his brother and he proceeded to tell me that his brother was already bald by the time he was my husbands age and it was because "he drank from the ####### of my aunt and all her sons are bald" I had to explain to him that he should say "nursed from my aunt" between trying to catch my breath from laughing so hard.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.