Leyla

MENA men say the darndest things....

128 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband says lots of very cute things most of them are cute just because of the accent. However, he does not like anyone mocking him or laughing even if it's because they think it's cute. He feels like ppl are making fun and it makes him insecure. Dunno if your SOs feel that way too but it may be something to keep in mind.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
ahmeds new words: pain in the butt, choke, fart, ha he asks if these are fingers (hands) what are these called (toes), crock pot comes off sounding like ####### pot, liquid sounds like lick ed, when we say (you guys) that can be girls to? (nurse) can be man or woman? the girls at work told me to write a book its something new everyday :thumbs: and a saying for every instance, (at home we have this saying) oh and i shouldnt take a shower so soon after eating, i ask says who and he said the dr, i did anyway then, i felt like he was checking to see and he asks you feel fine now?

(he does the cat box without me asking)

oh and to go to my daughters we can go (country route) or highway, he asks which way we will go the cowboy way?

Tarik does that too! :) Lol. It's kind of fun to see that our SO's say very similar things.

My husband says lots of very cute things most of them are cute just because of the accent. However, he does not like anyone mocking him or laughing even if it's because they think it's cute. He feels like ppl are making fun and it makes him insecure. Dunno if your SOs feel that way too but it may be something to keep in mind.

Tarik gets a little weird about being mocked, but I do it all the time. It's TOO Cute! When I was in Morocco he was having stomach pains during Ramadan and he said: "My estomach hurts." I wouldn't correct him because I thought it was adorable.

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

The first time I heard my ex call toes, "foot fingers" I was dying!!!! My husband says basically the same. Or he'll call his entire arm, his hand, lol.

The cutest things are due to accent. "I think so" sounds like "I sink so". "This and that" sounds like "Zhis and zhat". Stuff like that. I try very hard to contain myself because it is cute but I know it hurts his feelings if I mock.

Timeline
The first time I heard my ex call toes, "foot fingers" I was dying!!!! My husband says basically the same. Or he'll call his entire arm, his hand, lol.

The cutest things are due to accent. "I think so" sounds like "I sink so". "This and that" sounds like "Zhis and zhat". Stuff like that. I try very hard to contain myself because it is cute but I know it hurts his feelings if I mock.

I told my husband that I am his wife and it's my job to mock him :) It's actually something cute we do to bond. It's also a fun inside joke every now and again. He mocks me too when I say Moroccan words wrong.

Here are some words he taught me:

Hshouma (shame on you): I say: Ashouma

Laqlaq: Crane (the bird) ... I guess I just don't say one of the "A" sounds right... but I think I do it just fine.

Sir tkhra (Go poop): That one is just funny.

He also taught me: Bzazel and Trma (if you don't know... ask your Moroccan spouse lol)

I wish he would teach me something useful. lol

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

kb7wan37jt.png

Timeline

Lol... one more and then I'll be done for the day haha

Tarik put his socks outside in the sun to warm them up :blink: I asked why: He said: I put them on the sun to make them warm.

Good times in the Anibi house lol

kb7wan37jt.png

The main reason I don't speak Arabic outloud much is because of the mocking. I'm such a baby. I know it's because he thinks it sounds cute. In Egypt I was like a novelty act...make Kara say...

Ok I'm bored..can you tell?

What's your favorite (unusual) Arabic nickname that your SO has given you?

Mine is "fellaha". Ya fellaha. I dunno why it strikes me as funny. Partly because of the meaning and partly because of the sound. He gave me this name because #1. He's from a rural town and I'm his wife. #2. Michigan (particularly the 'burbs) isn't the most modern/urban of settings.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

well mine is about how we almost always call each other some nickname instead of Adam or Tamara. I call him Pookey boo OR boo bear so much that Ive said it in front of his friends and they say to him sometimes now Pookey boo or boo bear... we think its funny and cute.

Edited by TamaraLovesAdam
10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

These days, it's mostly the accent that makes me smile, and he wants to keep his accent -- it's part of his identity. He has used fingers to mean both fingers and toes. Foot can also mean the whole leg. But I haven't heard him do that in a while.

What I love is when he translates a funny expression from Arabic or Darija into English, and it still works. Last night, he told me, "Oh, that man isn't that important. He doesn't pee Coke and sh!t cookies." I almost fell out of my chair.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am from Georgia and I have such a southern accent and of course I say things a little differently. My husband has picked up some of my southern slang. The first time I heard him say "I reckon" I nearly fell over laughing. He is officially a southerner now using all of the typical southern slang like, yall, over yonder, I'm, fixin, and I reckon. It cracks me up.

Deb

Edited by hassan_debbie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

A couple of weeks ago, my husband thought it would be nice to invite some of the ladies at work to drink a cup of coffee with him in the break area. He asked " Let's all go and pleasure ourselves with some coffee". Needless to say all the women fell out while he was standing there wondering what he said wrong again!! :devil:

BTW, Astarte, my name is Kara too! :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This sounds like my husband exactly!!!!

Also, he will say I am cleaning Maleks boops off of his butt. He doesn't use the word pee either he says piss for everything. Like he tells my son sit down when you piss because I do not want to see pissing on the toilet. When he calls me at work he says, "Hi its me, I'm Ayman!" I think it's funny! If I sit here long enough I will be able to tell you some more.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband knew that a quiz was coming up at school but he wasn't sure what night of the week it would be. He went up to the woman teaching the class and asked, "could you tell me please when you will give the squeeze?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Luckily my husband has thick skin 'cause the kids always making him say english words over and over and they crack up. He laughs right along with them though.

He's stopped saying piss thank God. Not that my kids don't know all the swear words but I was afraid he'd say it in front of my parents or something. He still says azz though even though I try to tell him to say bum instead.

Edited by humpkinpumpkin

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Cool! And I know exactly why the :dance: ...there are so few of us especially Kara with a "K". Hehehe. :star:

OMG "pleasure ourselves with coffee"...hahahahahaha!!!!! :lol:

A couple of weeks ago, my husband thought it would be nice to invite some of the ladies at work to drink a cup of coffee with him in the break area. He asked " Let's all go and pleasure ourselves with some coffee". Needless to say all the women fell out while he was standing there wondering what he said wrong again!! :devil:

BTW, Astarte, my name is Kara too! :dance:

Edited by Astarte

The first day the kids spent with my husband when he got here they made him say "King of the Castle, you do thees." You know like in Borat. OMG they laughed so hard. He was good natured about it. Their dad has a slight accent so my husband's accent is quite the novelty.

My husband knew that a quiz was coming up at school but he wasn't sure what night of the week it would be. He went up to the woman teaching the class and asked, "could you tell me please when you will give the squeeze?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Luckily my husband has thick skin 'cause the kids always making him say english words over and over and they crack up. He laughs right along with them though.

He's stopped saying piss thank God. Not that my kids don't know all the swear words but I was afraid he'd say it in front of my parents or something. He still says azz though even though I try to tell him to say bum instead.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.