July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh letterpress invites are soooo pretty! A bit expensive though :( Shop around and maybe you can find them cheaper!

I've actually done extensive research on them since I want them so badly. The cheapest I found them is on Etsy. There is also a printing press that does them pretty cheap, but I need to have the actual text designed first, so that might end up increasing the cost so I'm going to go with an Etsy seller. My inital budget was around $300 for invites, but I'm thinking about seeing if i can swing $500-$600 so that I can get exactly what I want.

I'm turning into a Bridezilla, I swear, haha. I want everything to be perfect and what I envision in my head. I refuse to compromise... hahaha (although I know I will have too because I'm not made of money).

That's actually cheaper then I thought they were! Maybe I need to look through etsy more :P

I wouldn't get married in a church.... I don't attend church, never have, and would feel almost fake getting married in a church in front of "god" when I don't have those beliefs. Ours is going to be a non-denominational ceremony outdoors. Luckily my husband's family is supportive, since they are Catholic and all.

Ditto. I'm an atheist and hubby is agnostic!

However his family is pretty religious and not impressed (another reason they don't like me. They think I'm using my devil ways to bring him to the dark side) :rolleyes:

I'm already dreading the time when we have children, and his family is going to want the kid(s) to be baptized Catholic. That won't be happening, just not sure how to break the news to them when the time comes :lol: I was never baptized, I turned out pretty well :P

Oh I'm dreading that too!! His grandmother once mentioned how she likes to always buy the outfits when her great grandkids get baptized (hubby's sister has two kids) and I just smiled at her.

I'm sure I'll be even more EVIL when I tell them we plan to raise them with no religion aka Atheists until they are old enough to make their own decisions. :devil:

Thankfully my fiance and I are on the same page about this too.

He's Christian (Did I spell that right? :lol:) and I'm not religious.

Baptisms are done at the person's will in Christianity, not done when they're young and have no choice.

We're also not getting married in a church either nor by a pastor.

I'm still considering a wedding on the Queen Mary though, get married by the captain instead.

I've been on that boat!! It's lovely :)

AOS Short Version:

06/26/09 - Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox!

07/07/09 - NOA's Arrive for AP, AOS & EAD [dated 07/01/09]

07/17/09 - Biometrics Completed [ Completed in 17 Days ]

08/12/09 - EAD APPROVED! Card Ordered! [Approved in 47 Days]

08/20/09 - Interview notice arrived dated 08/18/09 - Sept 24th/09

08/21/09 - Got EAD Card in the mail!! :D

09/24/09 - Interview Date: 9:00am - APPROVED

10/03/09 -Received GC!!!!!

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval : 86 Days

ROC:

04/01/11 - Preparing for ROC currently

06/27/11 - ROC Mailed!

07/02/11 - NOA1 Arrived [dated 06/30/11]

07/13/11 - Biometrics letter arrived [08/01/11]

10/31/11 - Final Approval!

11/04/11 - Received new card today.

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval: 125 Days

Next Step will be citizenship in June 2012!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Starburst - Etsy is a really good resource for wedding stuff!! A lot of letterpress shops charge in the thousands, but on Etsy, it is a lot more reasonable.

I also plan to get cute little labels for my favours, my garter and a few other cute things I've found on Etsy.

I use the StyleMe Pretty blog as inspiration, and then I do mad searches on Etsy to see if I can replicate for less.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Starburst - Etsy is a really good resource for wedding stuff!! A lot of letterpress shops charge in the thousands, but on Etsy, it is a lot more reasonable.

I also plan to get cute little labels for my favours, my garter and a few other cute things I've found on Etsy.

I use the StyleMe Pretty blog as inspiration, and then I do mad searches on Etsy to see if I can replicate for less.

I loveeeeee the styleme pretty blog!!!!

There is a new letterpress machine that is coming out next month. It's like $150 for the entire kit. I'm been looking at it for a while now but not really sure if it's worth the time it would take me to learn it and then create the invites.

I bought cufflinks off etsy for the boys!! Transformer ones! Hubby loves them! :thumbs:

AOS Short Version:

06/26/09 - Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox!

07/07/09 - NOA's Arrive for AP, AOS & EAD [dated 07/01/09]

07/17/09 - Biometrics Completed [ Completed in 17 Days ]

08/12/09 - EAD APPROVED! Card Ordered! [Approved in 47 Days]

08/20/09 - Interview notice arrived dated 08/18/09 - Sept 24th/09

08/21/09 - Got EAD Card in the mail!! :D

09/24/09 - Interview Date: 9:00am - APPROVED

10/03/09 -Received GC!!!!!

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval : 86 Days

ROC:

04/01/11 - Preparing for ROC currently

06/27/11 - ROC Mailed!

07/02/11 - NOA1 Arrived [dated 06/30/11]

07/13/11 - Biometrics letter arrived [08/01/11]

10/31/11 - Final Approval!

11/04/11 - Received new card today.

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval: 125 Days

Next Step will be citizenship in June 2012!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I bought Martha Stewart invites at Walmart a few months back... they were on sale for $10 per box so I got 2 boxes... it comes with everything including thank you cards.... I got matching place settings and a guest book too..... so hopefully I can do a nice job of them, I will do them well in advance so if they turn out crappy I'll get them made professionally! I think they'll be nice though, I'm all about saving money and $20 on my invites is pretty cheap :lol:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10097955

This is what they look like... very simple

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I would love to get my fiance these cufflinks and get one with my birthplace on it and one with his birthplace on it, but they're 105 dollars.

I think it'd be really cool, and they'd be a nice keepsake.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listi...=cat3_gallery_8

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

You can get that to him as your wedding present to him.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I would love to get my fiance these cufflinks and get one with my birthplace on it and one with his birthplace on it, but they're 105 dollars.

I think it'd be really cool, and they'd be a nice keepsake.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listi...=cat3_gallery_8

Those are really cool. Check around, you might be able to find them for cheaper on Etsy. Things are so competitive on there!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

You can get that to him as your wedding present to him.

... We're supposed to get wedding presents for eachother?

Wow I know nothing about weddings :lol:

And I'm still browsing around Etsy, and I LOVE these placecards.

You can even get custom designed ones.

It'd be nice in my opinion since my wedding wont even hit 50 people.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6486271

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Yeah, your reaction was the same as Varba's.

I told him what I wanted, he hasn't told me what he wants yet. He better soon, because I need to buy it before I move!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline
I wouldn't get married in a church.... I don't attend church, never have, and would feel almost fake getting married in a church in front of "god" when I don't have those beliefs. Ours is going to be a non-denominational ceremony outdoors. Luckily my husband's family is supportive, since they are Catholic and all.

You reminded me of me with that statement! I'm pretty sure I've said the same thing. The only difference is that my family is Catholic, and technically so am I, but I stop practicing a lot time ago and honestly... never believed in any of it. God and I just aren't friends. Our officiant had specific instructions not to mention God or religion anywhere in the ceremony and he succeeded!

In hindsight we spent way to much money on invites. $350 for 50? That was a poor decision... but I'm stubborn.

And wow, talk about grooms keepsakes. My husband went out a week before the wedding and bought himself a Movado watch. A Movado... familiar? I was not. I am now that I've seen the bill. :angry:

I was so mad! He took our rings in to get sized, by himself (mistake 1), and saw this watch he loved on sale. To sound strange, his family has been using the same jeweler for years, so she knows us on a personal level. Apparently she took the watch out of the box, put it on him and convinced him it was perfect for him. So he says he wants it and doesn't ask or tell me! Then, we go in together to pick up the rings a couple days later and she comes up to him with this box and says his watch is ready for pickup. So I look at him like, omg what did you do?! And he looks at me with that face... and says, oh please can I get it? And then the jeweler says, oh you know he deserves this watch, he works hard, he needs it. So, I was basically pushed into a corner and pressured into letting him buy this watch that costs way too much money... And then, the day of the wedding, he forgot to wear the damn watch! Can you believe that? I think he's worn it twice since he's had it, it just sits here on the computer desk reminding me that he's a huge pain in my... rear end... even though I love the goof ball to death. Ok, end rant. :star:

You reminded me of me with that statement! I'm pretty sure I've said the same thing. The only difference is that my family is Catholic, and technically so am I, but I stop practicing a lot time ago and honestly... never believed in any of it. God and I just aren't friends. Our officiant had specific instructions not to mention God or religion anywhere in the ceremony and he succeeded!

In hindsight we spent way to much money on invites. $350 for 50? That was a poor decision... but I'm stubborn.

And wow, talk about grooms keepsakes. My husband went out a week before the wedding and bought himself a Movado watch. A Movado... familiar? I was not. I am now that I've seen the bill. :angry:

I was so mad! He took our rings in to get sized, by himself (mistake 1), and saw this watch he loved on sale. To sound strange, his family has been using the same jeweler for years, so she knows us on a personal level. Apparently she took the watch out of the box, put it on him and convinced him it was perfect for him. So he says he wants it and doesn't ask or tell me! Then, we go in together to pick up the rings a couple days later and she comes up to him with this box and says his watch is ready for pickup. So I look at him like, omg what did you do?! And he looks at me with that face... and says, oh please can I get it? And then the jeweler says, oh you know he deserves this watch, he works hard, he needs it. So, I was basically pushed into a corner and pressured into letting him buy this watch that costs way too much money... And then, the day of the wedding, he forgot to wear the damn watch! Can you believe that? I think he's worn it twice since he's had it, it just sits here on the computer desk reminding me that he's a huge pain in my... rear end... even though I love the goof ball to death. Ok, end rant. :star:

My fiance's done the same thing, buying expensive things without really letting me say anything.

A 3000 dollar used motorcycle when he still has a 15 thousand dollar debt.

I was angry at him for a long time about it, still kind of ticked off... but oh well.

Men are goofballs, like you said :lol:

Edited by Rhiann

Huggle I would tell him to return it. Obviously he doesn't like it that much, he doesn't wear it!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline

The problem is that he likes it to much and is to scared to wear it and ruin it! Its pretty irrational... We have a bad tendency to make our financial problems worse by arguing about these things. Usually the way we "make it better" is when he goes and buys me something of almost equal value to make up for it. Its really not smart! I was mad at him for quite a while, and he admits it was stupid... but will he take it back? I'm pretty sure he'd kick and scream all the way to the jewelers :lol:

Timeline

Ohhh Movado's are super expensive.... yikes!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I was looking around trying to think of what I wanted my party favours to be, and I remembered something really cool from a while ago.

Personalized M&M's!

http://www.mymms.com/

I looked into the costs. Just say I'm having 35 people at my wedding, and I want to give them 2 oz of the M&Ms. I would need 70 oz of them.

I chose to get the dark pink and white with messages on them. One with the wedding date and the other with our names.

5 7oz bags of the personalized ones cost 59.95. 5 7oz bags of just dark brown ones are 34.95

That would give me 70 oz of M&Ms at 94.90. That's without the bags/cases to put them in and with no ribbon.

On the other hand, if I were to buy their pre-wrapped gift ones, they're 139.65 for 35 of them @ 1.75 oz each.

I can easily count out, weigh and package them myself, since I would guess the bags/ribbon would be about 20 bucks if I could find nice looking inexpensive ones. That way I could also get the ribbon colour I wanted.

(I can be a real cost freak when it comes to saving money just by making stuff myself.)

And it's not something that would just sit around forever either.

They taste awesome and you can use the bag for something else.

Not sure if about 130 dollars or so is too much to spend on just the favours, but it doesn't seem so bad to me.

I'd even tag the favours with the people's names for the fun of it.

Edited by Rhiann

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.