July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
OK I need advice from my fellow wedding planning friends. Lately now, I've been thinking of scrapping the whole having bridesmaids thing. My sister just had me as her MOH and her husband had a best man, that was it. I might do the same, I know it's not "traditional" but anyway! Here is why. So all of my closest friends are in Canada, and I'm already expecting of them to spend lots of $$ on travel and hotel for at least 2 nights for them and their partners. I feel bad as it is having the wedding here and making everyone travel. So, if I ask them to be my bridesmaids, on top of that I'm asking them to spend $$ on a dress, shoes, etc!! I just don't feel right doing that, plus I don't feel comfortable picking out a dress and making them wear it.... I'm not into the matchy matchy thing but I also can't tell them just wear whatever you want, that'd be wierd.... I can't afford to pay for 4 dresses either, so I'm stuck. I just think it's wrong for me to expect my friends to spend $$ on travel, hotel, dress, etc. It's too much. Maybe if I don't have any bridesmaids that will avoid the whole problem, what do you all think?

That's kind of the situation I'm in... there are 4 out of state (2 in Arizona, 1 in California, and 1 in Idaho) and only 1 here in Michigan (the MoH). For the out-of-towners, I covered the cost of their dress. Granted, the dress was "only" $138 after taxes, but still, it was a help. One of my friends from Arizona is just coming back by herself, without her hubby and kids - by her choice. I was bummed, because I was looking forward to seeing all of them, but it was their choice to not all come. Plus, since the wedding is on a Friday, they are coming out on Thursday (some on Wednesday) and returning on Saturday (or Sunday) and they were able to get discounted flight rates b/c of their flight dates. In addition, we're taking care of the majority of transportation & meals (rehearsal dinner, wedding dinner, breakfast (courtesy of the hotel - they have a cook-to-order breakfast) & lunch at our house to open gifts, etc.). So, they were able to make it work.

Dunno if that helps or not. :blush:

WE JUST SET OUT WEDDING DAY!!! :dance:

I'm sure on VJ it's common to plan the months before for the quickie.... lol!

We are marrying on the beach in OCNJ, so we have picked June 11th. If it rains... then we will have to bump it to June 18th. We will spend 2 days on the beach then 2 days in NYC, sitting in Central Park and people watching (HAHA, we love puttering around the big City looking for trouble :) )

So excited!!!!

I mean, nothing compared to the invites and stuff you guys are planning... which sounds like so much fun! it's just gonna be us two, my beach, white dress.... and gthat's it... Kinda like how Cindy Crawford and Randy Gerber married... I always loved that...

We will save the obnoxious Greek reception for the end of the summer...happy happy joy joy...I can't wait to see my MIL who will sit and whisper to others that the 'big boobied girl' married her son for money... HAHAHA! Don't ask.... lets just say, she makes for great entertainment.... OMG, I'm gonna start a MIL thread... It'll be a hoot!!!!! I've got stories that'll entertain for hours!

:)

Yea!!!! I'm so happy for you two! OMG, you had me dying with the stories you've already told me about your MIL... holy cow! :rofl:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

YAY :D so I took your advice and spoke to 2 of my BM, they were really happy I asked and said that they'd be thrilled to stand up with me, even if it meant buying their own dress! We agreed it's best if I just pick a colour and they get what they want, something they can hopefully wear again one day. I was thinking of stealing someone's idea on here (July)? And do black and white theme, so all my BMs would wear black and have black and white linens. I love that idea

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
YAY :D so I took your advice and spoke to 2 of my BM, they were really happy I asked and said that they'd be thrilled to stand up with me, even if it meant buying their own dress! We agreed it's best if I just pick a colour and they get what they want, something they can hopefully wear again one day. I was thinking of stealing someone's idea on here (July)? And do black and white theme, so all my BMs would wear black and have black and white linens. I love that idea

Oh, Jill! That's terrific news!!! Absolutely... steal away! Steal other ideas, too! That's what makes the wedding your own... steal what you want from whoever and where ever you want! :) If you want pics, I'd be more than happy to share! Originally, I was going to do just that... have them wear black and have them choose their own style. But, they said they wanted to match. Okay, as long as that's what they wanted. Here's the BEST thing about a black & white wedding... every girl should always have the "little black dress" in her closet! Although our dresses are floor length, they're excited to have them altered after the wedding to tea or knee length. I told them to go for it! Plus, you can add 1 or 2 other colors for accent. :) Originally I was going to have all black & white invites... but I've given in. We're adding the dark pink to the invites, too. My fiance' just despises pink, but he's okay with it for this, because he'll be in all black and white. :lol:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Oh, Jill! That's terrific news!!! Absolutely... steal away! Steal other ideas, too! That's what makes the wedding your own... steal what you want from whoever and where ever you want! :) If you want pics, I'd be more than happy to share! Originally, I was going to do just that... have them wear black and have them choose their own style. But, they said they wanted to match. Okay, as long as that's what they wanted. Here's the BEST thing about a black & white wedding... every girl should always have the "little black dress" in her closet! Although our dresses are floor length, they're excited to have them altered after the wedding to tea or knee length. I told them to go for it! Plus, you can add 1 or 2 other colors for accent. :) Originally I was going to have all black & white invites... but I've given in. We're adding the dark pink to the invites, too. My fiance' just despises pink, but he's okay with it for this, because he'll be in all black and white. :lol:

Thanks July, I really love this thread! It helps so much to get ideas and discuss! I'd love to see your pics after the wedding, and if you don't mind sharing your wedding website (I think you mentioned earlier you had one?) I'd love that too (you can PM me if you want) because I have NO idea how to do a wedding website, never seen one before.... :)

Edited by JillA

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Thanks July, I really love this thread! It helps so much to get ideas and discuss! I'd love to see your pics after the wedding, and if you don't mind sharing your wedding website (I think you mentioned earlier you had one?) I'd love that too (you can PM me if you want) because I have NO idea how to do a wedding website, never seen one before.... :)

This thread is great for me... b/c my fiance' (although I love him dearly) is truly NOT a wedding planner type of guy. So, it's nice to have a place to chat about wedding plans & everything that goes with that big day! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

My wedding colors are black and white too!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yay we finally booked our venue and photographer.

It's pretty much exactly what I wanted... we went a bit over budget, but not by much and it is SO worth it!!!

Now after I move we can move on to the fun stuff like save the dates, invites and flowers! The venue has 30ft ceilings, so now I'm thinking I'll do tall centre pieces!

My colours are Navy & Yellow, but I think I'm going to make my flowers a mix and my bridesmaids all yellow.

post-41404-1240845746_thumb.jpg

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

It's pretty much exactly what I wanted... we went a bit over budget, but not by much and it is SO worth it!!!

Now after I move we can move on to the fun stuff like save the dates, invites and flowers! The venue has 30ft ceilings, so now I'm thinking I'll do tall centre pieces!

My colours are Navy & Yellow, but I think I'm going to make my flowers a mix and my bridesmaids all yellow.

Woohoo, that's great! At least you have the most important detail out of the way.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Awesome Sapphire! I'd love to see the venue!

Our colors are aqua blue and red... Interesting combination but I love it! My sister is a wedding photographer, so to my luck I get her wonderful skills free of charge (aside from paying for her travel expenses, which I was happy to do).

http://charityswords.smugmug.com/

Your sister is definitely talented! Can't wait to see what she does with your wedding! I still have yet to book a photographer, guess I need to get on that :whistle:

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

I wanted to do a mix too... I just LOVE the way they look! But, I gave in to the "color theme". With the black and white theme... my bridesmaids are carrying dark pink roses & gerbera daisies. My bouquet will have the bright white roses (Eskimo Roses - I think??) and Cymbidium Orchids... those are the white orchids with the dark pink throat.

Cymbidium_Stanley_Fouraker_White_Ma.jpg

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

The formal wedding is less than three weeks away and I need a little advice. We are having high tea for our reception so the menu features finger sandwiches, scones, pastries, sugar-free pastries, cake and fruit. The only issue is that our best man is vegan. I don't trust a Bermudian caterer to properly understand what veganism is so I've decided to organize Sean's meal myself. Does anyone have any ideas for good vegan finger foods? Any ideas for some easy vegan meals for while Sean is Dad's houseguest would be welcome also.

~ Catherine

Timeline
The formal wedding is less than three weeks away and I need a little advice. We are having high tea for our reception so the menu features finger sandwiches, scones, pastries, sugar-free pastries, cake and fruit. The only issue is that our best man is vegan. I don't trust a Bermudian caterer to properly understand what veganism is so I've decided to organize Sean's meal myself. Does anyone have any ideas for good vegan finger foods? Any ideas for some easy vegan meals for while Sean is Dad's houseguest would be welcome also.

~ Catherine

Hi Catherine,

I can try and help you out a bit, since I'm vegetarian.... not vegan but I know lots about meat and dairy free foods!

Tofu kebabs (Vegan)

Ingredients:

* Marinated, baked, or Buffalo Tofu (homemade or purchased in the store)

* Toothpicks or similar-sized sticks

Directions:

1. Marinate and bake firm tofu (or simply bake pre-marinated tofu) in a gooey sauce until heated through and bubbly

2. Skewer on small wooden sticks or toothpicks with lightly-roasted vegetables like mushrooms, chopped bell peppers or red onions.

4. Pigs-in-a-Blanket (Vegan)

Believe it or not, some of the most popular brands of croissant-type refrigerated crescent roll dough are vegan. Buy the jumbo-sized rolls, if available.

Ingredients:

* 1 can/package vegan refrigerated crescent roll dough

* 3-4 veggie dogs, depending on size

5. Mini Samosas or Spring Rolls (Vegan)

Think the frozen food store is out-of-bounds for vegetarians? There are meatless appetizers to be found. Samosas almost always come with vegetarian fillings, and their bite-sized brethren are no exception. Curried potato and pea pastries make for a filling, savory snack and are easy to prepare in the oven.

Spring rolls are generally vegan as well, but be sure not to confuse them with egg rolls, which usually contain pork. Serve with soy sauce or vegan plum sauce to dip.

Mini samosas and spring rolls are also available in the frozen foods section of the grocery store.

This link has a great recipe for vegan cabbage rolls:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Vegetarian-Sarma...ge-Rolls-307958

Stuffed (cooked) mushrooms! You can stuff 'em with slightly-ground pine nuts, herbs, and bread crumbs moistened with vegetable broth.

As a main dish, stuffed peppers are a great option.... rice and veggies cooked inside a hollowed out pepper.... Tofu and vegetables are good.... stir fried over rice and noodles, as long as oyster sauce isn't used.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our colors are aqua blue and red... Interesting combination but I love it! My sister is a wedding photographer, so to my luck I get her wonderful skills free of charge (aside from paying for her travel expenses, which I was happy to do).

Totally didn't see your reply!

We're having our reception here: http://lejardin.com

It's exactly what I wanted, a room with high ceilings, gold chivari chairs, windows and a somewhat traditional (with some non-traditional flare) menu.

Now I hope that no one crashes!! I'll probably take the link down soon just to be safe!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Totally didn't see your reply!

We're having our reception here: http://lejardin.com

It's exactly what I wanted, a room with high ceilings, gold chivari chairs, windows and a somewhat traditional (with some non-traditional flare) menu.

Now I hope that no one crashes!! I'll probably take the link down soon just to be safe!

Sapphire your venue looks gorgeous!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.