July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

I havn't decided as to when we'll be getting married.

Because of this process, I don't really know what to choose.

Well, we're going to get court married the weekend or so after I can make it to the US (depending on interview date), but we're probably having a ceremonial wedding in May or June of next year.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Looks like you're next HuggleBuggles !!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:wow: Time has flown by, I can't believe it. I only have 9 more days! I'm so excited, but nervous and stressed out all at the same time... I think that's normal right?

June 9, 2009 - SapphireDreams (Civil/Legal wedding)

June 13, 2009? - Tom & Becky

July 7, 2009 - PopRocks (Beach/Legal wedding)

July 17, 2009 - July09Bride (Church/Legal wedding)

July 17, 2009 - Kristin & TorontoGuy (Civil/Legal wedding)

July 24, 2009- Hapycloud (Civil/Legal wedding)

July 28, 2009- Chadlaure (Civil/Legal wedding)

August 6, 2009 - HuggleBuggles (Ceremonial/Legal wedding)

September 5, 2009 - Chadlaure (Ceremonial wedding)

October 10, 2009 - Minnew (Church/Legal wedding)

November 14, 2009 - Hapycloud (Church/Ceremonial wedding)

January 10, 2010 OR February 20, 2010 - AshenFLowers (Civil/Legal wedding)

May or June 2010- Rhiann (Ceremonial wedding)

June 6, 2010 - Kristin & TorontoGuy (Ceremonial wedding)

July 10, 2010 - AshenFlowers (Ceremonial Celebration)

August 21, 2010 - Krikit's daughter (Church/Legal wedding)

September 4, 2010 - JillA (Celebration wedding)

September 25, 2010 - SapphireDreams (Church wedding)

So I was talking to my fiance about a Ceremony Wedding date, and we decided to choose "May 15th, 2010."

Coincidentally one exact year after getting our NOA1 :P

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

:(

so... went dress shopping today... My friend wanted to go with me, and was more excited than me I think. Anyways.... We went to one shop, and i found NOTHING... everything just wasn't right, and looked like #######... then we went to another one... they kept bringing over more and more dresses... I could only fit into about 2/3 of them (I'm plus sized)... most of them looked ... just.... yuck.

But then... I found one that I liked, and it looked great... of course it's too pricey.... found another one that I liked... it was ok... looked great on me... everyone else liked it... I thought I liked it. It was a little over budget, but it was on sale (i.e. 'clearance rack'), and the lady at the shop even said she'd give me an additional $200 off, which I thought was very nice of her.

I decide ok.. yeah this is the one.. it's nice, looks good, cheapish ($399... but with alterations and tax on top... blah... was still over budget for me, but at least not as much, and didn't look like complete ######).

Anyways... It's getting to be about an hour before closing time, and I need to make a deposit if I want this dress (considering it's the LAST ONE, I knew that I had to decide kinda fast, cause otherwise with me moving and going on vacation, it'd probably be a month or more before I can get back to the store to try again).... but I know there's another bridal shop down the street so I want to rush there first. Had to go to the bank anyways to take money out of my savings to put the deposit on the dress... So we go to the other shop... I find a dress that I REALLY like... REALLY... I was excited about it (the sales ladies weren't as excited though, cause I caught them at the end of the day, and unfortunately that was a bit of a let down)... and my friend wasn't as excited, but admitted it wasn't her decision, and she really DID like the one that I liked, but liked the other one better (follow? LOL)... anyways even though it was in a really great style, looked nice, flattering, really quite a beautiful dress.. It was $240 more expensive than the one I had decided on at the other store. :crying: So I had to say no to 'the' dress... and settled for 2nd or 3rd place...

And I had to put down a deposit on the cheaper dress at the other store... because in a week and a 1/2 I'm leaving for a month, and every one was freaking out that it was only 6 months to January as is... so I was like great, if I leave this for another month and a 1/2 later I'm essentially more screwed than I already am, since apparently dresses take 6-8 months to come in. So I REALLY felt pressured, by time constraints, and financial constraints, and I'm settling for a dress that my heart is 'CONTENT' with, but not OVER JOYED with.... And then my fiance freaked out on me for putting a deposit down if I a) didn't overly love the dress, and B) can't afford it right now anyways... I tried to explain to him that I spent three hours looking, which isn't a LONG time, but still... I don't really want to waste money driving up to Toronto to look... don't really want to order online... am apparently running out of time ALREADY... he was angry that I didn't just ask the store to hold it for a day without deposit so I could think about it... I told him they're closed tomorrow. So he says Monday. I say I'm going out of town and won't be back until after they're closed. Tuesday he says... I say I'm meeting with someone after work to see if they can watch my cat next month while I'm gone.. Wednesday, I'm packing, Thursday I'm moving.. suddenly we're at about a week later. So yeah, they can't just 'hold' it for a week without some sort of deposit. And he's upset that I didn't let him in on the situation before making a decision. I tell him most women don't call their husbands while they're trying on dresses to ask him if it's ok. And I'm sorry? But Mr. Dual Citizen isn't HERE when he could EASILY just come back to Canada and we could be together through this whole process of wedding planning and immigration instead of 2,500 miles apart... so screw him.

so yeah... that was my crappy wedding dress shopping experience... :(

I mean, don't get me wrong... the one that I picked is really nice, but it doesn't feel like ME. I started second guessing myself when I looked back at the pics that we snuck in the change room LOL I was like 'oh... hmmph, I don't think I like it anymore'. :(

On the plus side, apparently I can use my deposit on any dress in the store if I decide to change my mind. But again, I'm leaving for a month, so when I get back they'll freak out more on me if they have to order stuff, then I likely won't get the dress in time.. OR I'll just have to shop off the sales rack still as well. This blows. Of course the dress I WANT is at a different store than the one I put the deposit at...

wow, I should totally put this in the Vent thread... :wacko:

There is a vent thread? :)

I think sometimes you just have to go with what you can, and not worry so much about the dress. You'll be beautiful!

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

:wow: Time has flown by, I can't believe it. I only have 9 more days! I'm so excited, but nervous and stressed out all at the same time... I think that's normal right?

Hooray!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

If you want to add ours: We're getting married Sept. 19 2009 Ceremonial/Religious/Legal....not sure how you'd word that :lol: We're doing it once with 300 people possibly there!

I think sometimes you just have to go with what you can, and not worry so much about the dress. You'll be beautiful!

awwww what a sweet thing to say!!!

And Ashen..that's exactly right!!

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

There is a vent thread? :)

Thank you :) :) :)

(F)

And thanks for the website tips! I think I checked out theknot, but don't remember, so I'll look again. LOL I also looked at ewedding.com which has cute templates, but the 'free' features seemed limited. I'm so cheap, and picky! It's a bad combo.

And OMG Huggle! You're so close!! You're getting married on the same day I'm leaving to visit my fiance! haha!! We're both counting down to something pretty awesome, except you win by a mile. Can't wait for pics!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Hehe Hi Lisa! We Canadians do alot of venting!! :P

Huggles-Its getting closer!! YAY!!!

ashenflowers-Hope you are able to find a website you like!

Oh dear I almost had a panic attack when I saw how many days until the wedding....its the same as Lisa!! I'm next after chadlures ceremonial wedding!

oops edit...after TimandJoyces!!

The flower girl dresses came in! My fiances aunt sent me some pictures of the 2 girls with them on!! Sooo adorable!! Since again I suck at posting pictures, here is a link to the website where you can purchase the same style dress. They are going to look so cute!! Their mother made little white bolero jackets for them to wear with as well!

http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/mm5/...tegory_Code=110

YAY RSVP's are starting to come in!! Just got an email and a few online ones through theknot!! Of course they were people that we knew were coming already, like bridal party...lol...well except for my aunt who RSVP'd, but she does everything early!! She has her Christmas shopping done by March!

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Hehe Hi Lisa! We Canadians do alot of venting!! :P

Huggles-Its getting closer!! YAY!!!

ashenflowers-Hope you are able to find a website you like!

Oh dear I almost had a panic attack when I saw how many days until the wedding....its the same as Lisa!! I'm next after chadlures ceremonial wedding!

oops edit...after TimandJoyces!!

The flower girl dresses came in! My fiances aunt sent me some pictures of the 2 girls with them on!! Sooo adorable!! Since again I suck at posting pictures, here is a link to the website where you can purchase the same style dress. They are going to look so cute!! Their mother made little white bolero jackets for them to wear with as well!

http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/mm5/...tegory_Code=110

YAY RSVP's are starting to come in!! Just got an email and a few online ones through theknot!! Of course they were people that we knew were coming already, like bridal party...lol...well except for my aunt who RSVP'd, but she does everything early!! She has her Christmas shopping done by March!

That flower girl dress is so adorable!

I love how the flower petals are captured in the dress like that.

Pretty inexpensive too.

awww so cute!!

We've opted out of flower girls, because well, I don't know any young girls well enough! Took care of that one didn't it?

Tim and his niece were working together on the addresses yesterday. He got some labels to print and hopefully do them soon and get them in the mail! Should have been out about a week or so *gulp* but most everyone had been told of the date anyways and we're pretty sure that most people are coming. Still, it will seem much more real to receive RSVP's! Well, he'll receive them..:lol:

Three weeks today and I'm moving!!!! :dance:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Oh, I've also been wanting to ask... does anyone have a wedding website? Did I ask this already? I can't even remember. lol I'm trying to find a good host, but there are so many. I want a free one, and I found a great one that has TONS of features, but crappy template designs (www.weddingannouncer.com). Go figure :(

http://www.mywedding.com/main/wedding_websites.html

This is, by far the best I've seen! Julybride told me about it, it's free and the templates are SO nice! I love this one

My latest newlyweds (July 11th) used my.wedding.com. You can even use your own design if you like. He is a graphic designer, so all of their stationery and their website coordinated, right down to the font - 1610 Cancellarsca.

My daughter that married in 2005 used the knot, and it worked well for them. I don't know what changes they may have made since then, though. I noticed a lot lot more people did their RSVPs online this year than in 2005. We put traditional response cards in invitations for those we thought would appreciate them, in addition to the online info.

One thing that really helped with the wedding planning was to have planning sessions, just like one would have for a business. It is good to have everyone on the same page. As a Mom, I couldn't help carry out the bride a groom's wishes without knowing what they were thinking. We brainstormed and attempted to cover every last detail and who was doing what when. The kids seemed to really enjoy their wedding day, and so did the parents. The elements that they communicated as being especially important to them received extra TLC. A wedding is more enjoyable and less stressful if 99% is intentional. Attention to detail doesn't happen by accident.

Have fun and don't get too stressed. Okay, I am a bit stressed about the ceremony and reception for my son and daughter-in-law. The blending of two cultures/religions makes it a challenge. Just the logistics are daunting. Arranging getting family from one side of the globe to the other, and hoping the Navy will cooperate so the groom can be there at the same time, is a challenge. They haven't even decided where this is going to be yet. Of course the groom pays for everything, and my son isn't exactly a saver. It's a bit hard when coughing up over a grand for AOS, etc.

-Thai Mom

Here's a list update:

June 9, 2009 - SapphireDreams (Civil/Legal wedding)

June 13, 2009? - Tom & Becky

July 7, 2009 - PopRocks (Beach/Legal wedding)

July 17, 2009 - July09Bride (Church/Legal wedding)

July 17, 2009 - Kristin & TorontoGuy (Civil/Legal wedding)

July 24, 2009- Hapycloud (Civil/Legal wedding)

July 28, 2009- Chadlaure (Civil/Legal wedding)

August 6, 2009 - HuggleBuggles (Ceremonial/Legal wedding)

September 5, 2009 - Chadlaure (Ceremonial wedding)

October 10, 2009 - Minnew (Church/Legal wedding)

November 14, 2009 - Hapycloud (Church/Ceremonial wedding)

January 10, 2010 OR February 20, 2010 - AshenFLowers (Civil/Legal wedding)

May 15, 2010- Rhiann (Ceremonial wedding)

June 6, 2010 - Kristin & TorontoGuy (Ceremonial wedding)

July 10, 2010 - AshenFlowers (Ceremonial Celebration)

August 21, 2010 - Krikit's daughter (Church/Legal wedding)

September 4, 2010 - JillA (Celebration wedding)

September 19 2009 - TimandJoyce (Ceremonial/Religious/Legal wedding)

September 25, 2010 - SapphireDreams (Church wedding)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you get gifts in the mail before the wedding are you allowed to open them? My fiance won't let me open anything! What does the "etiquette" dictate? I mean, if I don't open them now I won't get to open them after the honeymoon, its really rather upsetting :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
When you get gifts in the mail before the wedding are you allowed to open them? My fiance won't let me open anything! What does the "etiquette" dictate? I mean, if I don't open them now I won't get to open them after the honeymoon, its really rather upsetting :P

I'd open them! I'd just say we need to open them so that we can write a thank you note and send the note right after the wedding before the honeymoon :whistle:

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's perfectly acceptable etiquette to open gifts received by mail before your wedding. Sometimes things need to be returned and the return window is narrow. However, I don't think you're supposed to use any of your gifts until after the wedding. That way you can start working on all your thank you notes early : )

Also... hi guys! I haven't been very active on the boards, but we've set a date and are starting to plan more, so you might see me around!

K-1 process:

05-05-2009: Mailed I-129F

05-15-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: Check cashed

08-19-2009: NOA2 Email

08-24-2009: NOA2 Hardcopy

08-24-2009: NVC In

08-26-2009: NVC Out

08-28-2009: Consulate Received

09-03-2009: Packet 3 Received

09-04-2009: Packet 3 Returned (via fax)

09-04-2009: Interview date (by email)

09-08-2009: Packet 4 received

09-16-2009: Medical Appointment

09-17-2009: Interview

09-22-2009: Visa in hand

10-20-2009?: POE

10-31-2009: Legal marriage

05-22-2010: <3 Our wedding <3

Our wait is almost over <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.