July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

Sounds about right.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
... None of that candle lighting stuff though. (If that's even done anymore)... Because my fiance originally came from Taiwan, I might switch to a Chinese dress...
... The only way I found out about the candle thing is through my parents' wedding album. Otherwise, I had never heard of it...

Chinese Wedding Night Ritual

The night of the wedding, the bridal room will be lit with dragon and phoenix candles to drive away the evil spirit. This is a Chinese version of unity candle. The newlyweds will drink wine from two cups tied together with a red string, arms crossed from each other. This is the formal wedding vow in Chinese culture.

candle.jpg

Dragon & Phoenix Double Candles

moving right along

The only way I found out about the candle thing is through my parents' wedding album.

Otherwise, I had never heard of it.

My poor parents were forced to do certain things like the candle thing and the giving out of that weird fruit cake to everyone. They didn't even get to pick their wedding song! My grandfather DJ'd, so he picked it.

My poor parents, haha.

My parents gave me an interesting idea for a Cali wedding though.

Apparently if you book far enough in advanced, you can get married on the Queen Mary cruise ship. It's that ship permanently docked in... well, I don't remember where in Cali. They stayed on it and even saw bits and pieces of wedding related things... so that might be a neat idea.

:lol: nope no weird cake at mine!! Tim was describing to me that he's seen TWO cakes at wedding before. A brides cake, and a grooms cake. The brides is more elaborate... :P I might go with that because I'd love to have coconut icing, but some people could be allergic so now we can have two options. And yes, both cakes are going to be real, and (hopefully) all eaten up that day!!

OOOOOO married on a ship!! Very nice.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

The night of the wedding, the bridal room will be lit with dragon and phoenix candles to drive away the evil spirit. This is a Chinese version of unity candle. The newlyweds will drink wine from two cups tied together with a red string, arms crossed from each other. This is the formal wedding vow in Chinese culture.

candle.jpg

Oh my goodness...I must be tired!! I was positive that said "the BRIDE will be lit...." I was silently thinking, "what a strange custom"...

Boy!! I'm glad I read that again!!! :lol: *whew*

K-1 timeline

AOS

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

ROC

NOA November 23, 2011

GLITTER.jpg

... None of that candle lighting stuff though. (If that's even done anymore)... Because my fiance originally came from Taiwan, I might switch to a Chinese dress...
... The only way I found out about the candle thing is through my parents' wedding album. Otherwise, I had never heard of it...

candle.jpg

Hm, that sounds quite interesting.

Something I'd even do.

I just asked my fiance about it, and he's like "But that's waaaaaaay old school."

Lols.

And my wedding cake's gonna be real too.

It's going to be 3 layers with the top layer on a raised... thing. The cake is going to be chocolate with raspberry filling and iced in fudge. I'm going to do light/dark pink and white gumpaste flowers (hydrangeas) and green leaves.

Havn't decided what the wedding piece on the top is going to be yet.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What do you guys mean when you say your wedding cake is going to be real? Do some people have a fake wedding cake?

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

What do you guys mean when you say your wedding cake is going to be real? Do some people have a fake wedding cake?

Yup.

You can rent fake cakes.

My fiance's sister rented a fake cake just for show, they didn't want any cake to eat. She even rented her wedding dress too. (Which is so weird to me).

But they're usually made of Styrofoam or cardboard decorated with fondant n stuff.... since that stuff doesn't' really mold that easily.

Yup.

You can rent fake cakes.

My fiance's sister rented a fake cake just for show, they didn't want any cake to eat. She even rented her wedding dress too. (Which is so weird to me).

But they're usually made of Styrofoam or cardboard decorated with fondant n stuff.... since that stuff doesn't' really mold that easily.

Wow, never heard of renting the wedding cake. Or a wedding dress. My sister had styrofoam, so she could save it in her freezer!! I'm thinking, we'll have enough pictures of it...let's eat!! :P

K-1 timeline

AOS

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

ROC

NOA November 23, 2011

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yup.

You can rent fake cakes.

:lol: Never heard of that, too funny! How can you have a wedding without cake!? :blink:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Yup.

You can rent fake cakes.

:lol: Never heard of that, too funny! How can you have a wedding without cake!? :blink:

They had a very... different wedding. They took their wedding pictures like a month before the wedding, she rented a dress, they rented a cake. I think they did it because they got married a month after announcing engagement. Never really said why, but I assumed it was because she was pregnant (not visibly at the time) and wanted to get married before their kid was born. (Or that's what I thought because she announced pregnancy a month after her wedding and the kid was born like 6 months later) I wasn't there since I couldnt get to the states for it, but oh well.

Just the way they did things just seems so weird, haha.

They did photos with traditional Chinese costumes though. Her husband's hispanic, and he looks kinda silly in the man's traditional outfit :P

Timeline
Hm, that sounds quite interesting.

Something I'd even do.

I just asked my fiance about it, and he's like "But that's waaaaaaay old school."

Lols.

Yeah, there are some distinct differences between the ROC and the PRC having to do with traditions. There are normally lots of other things done to ward off evil spirits, ask him about the lion dancers etc. I hope at least you will incorporate some red into the color scheme. :)

moving right along

Timeline
They did photos with traditional Chinese costumes

I was going to ask if you are going to do the trad Chinese photos with costumes. Check my thread in the China forum about it. It is just about a must-do!

moving right along

Yup.

You can rent fake cakes.

Thanks gals for reminding me. I just went and put my daughter and son-in-law's top tier of their cake in a freezer bag. It is lemon. Yummy, yummy! The idea for their floating unity candle actually came from VJ.

Unrelated - Do you have any suggestions for wording an invitation for a ceremony that is to be over two years after the Thai legal marriage?

It's not going to be just a reception. It gets very complicated.

-Thai Mom

They did photos with traditional Chinese costumes

I was going to ask if you are going to do the trad Chinese photos with costumes. Check my thread in the China forum about it. It is just about a must-do!

Hm, we might, I'm not sure.

The place where my fiance's sister got them done did a really good job.

I think it'd be a nice thing to do for the sake of doing it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.