July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

JulyBride- Love the napkins and invitations!!

JillA-It will feel like a huge weight lifted off your shoulders once you book the venue!

Hugglebuggles- I am wearing a crystal headband too!

Well gals, I have got the Visa!! its finally time to hunker down and do some serious wedding planning...i only have 4 months to do it and I am freaking out!! All we have booked is the church and the reception. There is still DJ, photographer, flowers, cake...oh boy the list goes on! :wacko: The DJ and photographer if they are both still available by the time I book(hopefully this week) they will totally be in my price range...if not....well time to start looking again! I need to book a consultation with the florist! I might be doing silk, we will see!

How much advance notice does a cake decorator need?

When do I start dress fittings?

How much time does a place like Men's Wearhouse need for tuxes and alterations?

:help:

Guess I should go find my checklists on theknot.com!!

Oooo Did I mention I LOVE Michaels? There was a 40% off coupon in a flyer this weekend for this week that I used today, another 40% off coupon for next week, a 50% off coupon just for signing up for email newsletters, and I received a 50% off coupon for buying something today at Michaels with my 40% off coupon. So in total I still have 3 to use! Yippee!!

Let's see if I can help here.... :P

CAKE: Book asap, because they can only bake and decorate so many cakes at one time. BUT, you can generally get away with giving them a specific number about 7-12 days out from the date.

DRESS: These, you typically start 4-5 weeks before. Just because, again, they can only alter so many dresses at one time. I'm going for my 1st fitting on 6/5 and the wedding is 7/17. That might give you an idea... but it all depends on who/where you're you are getting your dress and alterations.

TUX: Depending on the tux supplier, guys can probably get measured and "order" at anytime. However, the "final" fitting should be at least 2-3 days prior to event. That way, if necessary, there is enough time for exchanges if the sizes that were originally sent don't fit right.

As far as lists... the online list at TheKnot.com is amazing! They cover everything... except for the additional personal items you choose to add. For example, when to apply for the wedding license.

Good luck! :thumbs: Keep us up to date on how things are going for you!

BTW, the napkins were from TheKnot.com's Wedding Shop!

Congrats on getting the visa minnie!

For the cake it really depends on where you're getting it! Our baker said he doesn't need anything until a week before the wedding. We went for a consultation and picked out the design, but that's about it. He was a pretty cool dude!

I had my dress altered rather early. The David's Bridal location I got it at told me they were taking 10-12 weeks to complete alterations. So I had to go in February, as that was the last time I was going to be in state until 6 weeks before the wedding. I asked if they could fit me in in that 6 week window and they all freaked out and said there was no way. Hopefully everything fits just fine! I will try on the dress ASAP when I move down there just to make sure!

We're getting our Tux's from Men's Warehouse too! We went in and looked at some catalogs back in February and they told us that its smart to order 6 weeks to a month before the wedding, and then have the men come in a couple days before the wedding to insure everything fits.

Honestly, don't worry! When I was in Colorado back in February I found and booked all my vendors in a week! I had my dress altered, picked out a cake and bought a topper, looked at and picked out Tux's, picked out my fiances wedding band with him, picked out flowers and booked the florist, found and booked a DJ and a violinist for the ceremony, and found and booked an officiant. All in a week! You can make it happen.

That reminds me I still need transportation...

JulyBride I love your napkins! I'm still trying to decide If I want them. Like, what are they for? The cake? If you have cloth napkins at the table why do you need to get paper ones?

When I last visited my fiance after the NOA2 is when we booked the church and the reception venue, and I also went to the Men's Wearhouse and the local HyVee as I heard they do really good cakes. The only thing that might be logistically a nightmare is his best man and groom tuxes will need to be ordered in GA and picked up there and brought to NE or just sent to the store in NE...not sure how that works quite yet. Pretty reasonable prices for cakes I just can't remember how long she said to wait to order the cake! I think it will be within the next month..holy ####### its June 1st tomorrow! :wacko: Now I just need to call the wedding coordinator at the church and ask her questions about the ceremony and how we can decorate the pews! She also gave me the name of a lady who is an organist/pianist so I need to get on that too! I didn't want to call her before and say well...we tentatively have a date you now?

My dress was also from DB but because the DB is 6 hours away I am going to get it altered here at home by the same lady who did my graduation dress and my sister's. She is a bit older, and has slowed down her business alot but she said she would do mine! She also makes wedding dresses, but again has slowed down. So I am thinking by end of July at the latest because I don't know how fast she will be from fitting to fitting.

I went to Michaels today and bought a keepsake chest/card box for $34 dollars regularly $60 with my 50% off coupon...and got another 50% off coupon good until June 13th! I still have 3 to use lol!!

Oh jeez I still need to send out save the date emails (via the knot) and start on invitations!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For the tux's we got measurement cards from men's warehouse, so I'm having my brother and dad measured and will just order their tux's at the same location we are getting everyone elses. That way they don't have to ship them either. I learned when we went to look at tux's that its all a shot in the dark anyways... they don't really have the things there for you to try on, you just give them your measurements and hope its accurate. I don't think they would send them to the other store but I could be wrong. I know David's Bridal wouldn't do that for me.

Smart plan with the dress alteration. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting their dress altered at DB! They are backlogged AND they charged me $200 to have the sleeves altered and the bustle put in. I thought that was a little ridiculous. A lot of smaller bridal shops do alterations at no extra cost, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Micheal's is great! I bet we got the same cardholder/keepsake chest as you! I'm thinking about buying the aisle runner they have too. I think my coupon expired...

For the tux's we got measurement cards from men's warehouse, so I'm having my brother and dad measured and will just order their tux's at the same location we are getting everyone elses. That way they don't have to ship them either. I learned when we went to look at tux's that its all a shot in the dark anyways... they don't really have the things there for you to try on, you just give them your measurements and hope its accurate. I don't think they would send them to the other store but I could be wrong. I know David's Bridal wouldn't do that for me.

Smart plan with the dress alteration. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting their dress altered at DB! They are backlogged AND they charged me $200 to have the sleeves altered and the bustle put in. I thought that was a little ridiculous. A lot of smaller bridal shops do alterations at no extra cost, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Micheal's is great! I bet we got the same cardholder/keepsake chest as you! I'm thinking about buying the aisle runner they have too. I think my coupon expired...

The store manager in NE said it could be done, but I seriously do not trust a store to get it right, I think it would be better for my piece of mind if they just travelled with the tuxes.

$200 for alterations!! Yikes! They would have charged me alot then! It fits me almost perfect on top but needs to be taken in majorly in the hips and the length of course because I am not even 5'4.

Do you get store flyers at home? I got one this past Saturday that had two 40% off coupons for any regular priced items and then thats how this how coupon mess started....they keep giving me 50% off coupons every time day I go back there!! I still have the three to use!!...too bad I can't just use them all at once, I keep having to go back there every day lol! Thats ok though its not far from my house! I guess its good timing because I do need to buy the accessories!!

Does your keepsake box have embroidery and a white tassel in the front?

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Those invites are awesome. I love the scripted letter H on the napkins. Hey! You're getting married on my birthday! :dance:

Thank you! As for the date... I knew it was a great date, for some reason! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

The store manager in NE said it could be done, but I seriously do not trust a store to get it right, I think it would be better for my piece of mind if they just travelled with the tuxes.

$200 for alterations!! Yikes! They would have charged me alot then! It fits me almost perfect on top but needs to be taken in majorly in the hips and the length of course because I am not even 5'4.

Do you get store flyers at home? I got one this past Saturday that had two 40% off coupons for any regular priced items and then thats how this how coupon mess started....they keep giving me 50% off coupons every time day I go back there!! I still have the three to use!!...too bad I can't just use them all at once, I keep having to go back there every day lol! Thats ok though its not far from my house! I guess its good timing because I do need to buy the accessories!!

Does your keepsake box have embroidery and a white tassel in the front?

I think traveling with the tux's is your best bet if you want to be sure everything is right. But, just keep in mind that usually when you rent a tux, you only get it for 2-3 days, so they might charge you more if you need it for longer. At least, when we went in and talked to Men's Warehouse they said the rental fee is for 2 days.

Yes $200 for sleeves and bustle! The dress didn't need to be altered anywhere else, it fit me perfectly. I'm 5'4" and the length was perfect with a 3 inch heel. I think I got really lucky! I have a friend that's 5'8" and all the David's Bridal dresses were to short on her, she was so annoyed. I don't blame her! She's not even THAT tall.

I don't get flyers... I should! I went and bought something two weeks ago and they gave me a 50% off coupon with my purchase but I think it was only good for a week. The Michael's is just far enough from my house that its annoying to go to, but after I move in a couple weeks I have free access! :lol: I'll make sure I get the flyers then. And yes!! sounds just like my keepsake box. Its was the best price I could find anywhere.

JC Penney had their tuxes on sale for $100. They were really lovely, too. :thumbs:

My parents went shopping across the border a few weeks ago and they bought my dad a really nice black suit, black pants with a black vest and white shirt. It would have cost them around $400 for everything, but because there was a sale I think they paid $200! I am going to mention that to my fiance as well, because maybe it would be beneficial to buy a Tux on sale, it would be the same price as renting. Though I am not sure he would ever wear it again! The only time he has to dress up is for Military events and then he just wears his AF dress uniform.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline
JC Penney had their tuxes on sale for $100. They were really lovely, too. :thumbs:

My parents went shopping across the border a few weeks ago and they bought my dad a really nice black suit, black pants with a black vest and white shirt. It would have cost them around $400 for everything, but because there was a sale I think they paid $200! I am going to mention that to my fiance as well, because maybe it would be beneficial to buy a Tux on sale, it would be the same price as renting. Though I am not sure he would ever wear it again! The only time he has to dress up is for Military events and then he just wears his AF dress uniform.

Oh! Why doesn't he wear his fancy military uniform? I saw a wedding on TV the other day and the groom was wearing some kinda formal military suit (forgive me for having no idea what it was called! But I think it was a navy blue) and It looked pretty sexy!

Oh! Why doesn't he wear his fancy military uniform? I saw a wedding on TV the other day and the groom was wearing some kinda formal military suit (forgive me for having no idea what it was called! But I think it was a navy blue) and It looked pretty sexy!

Yeah he did think about wearing his AF dress uniform..the navy blue is the AF uniform...also called the pilot or airline attendant outfit as some people say.. :lol: The best service dress outfit I think is the marine outfit. No but he's got some ribbons and stripes that look pretty sexy.. :D Anyways, he did think about wearing his AF dress uniform, but felt like it would not look "right" if his 2 groomsmen did not have matching dress uniforms. His dad does have one, but from like 30 years ago when he was in the service, so it would not fit, and his best friend from GA is not in the military.

On the flip side though his mother has asked that he wear his AF dress uniform for the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, so I guess I've got to find a little black dress to go along!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

Did your friends make you do this yet?

4193_622973135585_90403762_37382592_3032133_n.jpg

:lol:

My Canadian gals threw me a bachelorette party last weekend, it was great! The crown was a little demoralizing but... I'm told its all part of the whole marriage thing.

My Canadian gals threw me a bachelorette party last weekend, it was great! The crown was a little demoralizing but... I'm told its all part of the whole marriage thing.

:lol: No I haven't had the honor of the bachelorette party yet! ;) I am told I will be getting one before I leave though...I think I am going to go into hiding before then!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

OH military uniforms are sexy!!! My Fiance used to be in the military and he had some nice uniforms.

I think the sexiest are the Marines ones, or Navy seals...

Edited by chadlaure

K-1
Oct. 2, 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC
May 12, 2009 - Interview - Approved
July 28, 2009 - Civil Wedding
Sep. 5, 2009 - Wedding

AOS
Aug. 10, 2009 - AOS/EAD/AP Package received in Chicago
Oct. 27, 2009 - Interview - APPROVED !!
Nov. 06, 2009 - Green Card Received

ROC
Aug. 13, 2011 - ROC Package sent to VSC
May 31, 2012 - ROC - APPROVED !!!
June 11, 2012 - Green Card Received

Naturalization
Mar 21, 2013 - N-400 Package sent to Lewisville,TX
Mar 22, 2013 - Package delivered
Mar 26, 2013 - NOA
Mar 27, 2013 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2013 - Early Biometrics (Appt scheduled for April 18th)

Jul 10, 2013 - Interview - PASSED

Jul 26, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Cute pic huggles! My Mom bought me the exact same tiara thingy :lol: I have a pic on my FB wearing that. I cut the veil part off though, LOL. No bach party for me yet, I'll come back here for that probably next year sometime!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

No, I'm safe... SO FAR! lol I've heard rumblings though. I've even been asked about how embarrassed my mom might be (a lot of my friends like my mom -- it is so sweet! I love it! AND, I love her, too!) for "whatever" reason. Hmmm... my friends and not being up front about a surprise... now that is NOT a surprise!

*goes into hiding*

:ph34r:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.