July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your worried about bringing the shower gifts back to the US? I woudln't really worry about it. You don't have to pay duty for gifts i believe and if people give you money, you're allowed to bring a few thousand over the border I believe.

Before we had our shower and wedding, since we had one in Canada and the other on the other side of the states, we politely asked people to give money or gift cards. Everyone understood we'd be flying or travelling pretty far and were very accommodating.

That was my concern yes. I'm hoping that most people understand that we're going to have to cross a border, and just give us cash. There is a traditional shower to start with, and I think there will be gifts to that. I only bring it up because it's the first time we have ever traveled into the US with gifts. For Christmas's past, we have bought all the gifts in the US, and then traveled to Canada with the gifts for his family after spending Christmas with my family. We've had trouble every year at the border trying to cross into Canada with gifts for his family, so I imagined a similar experience here. Combining it with using his green card for the first time, it was making me a little anxious. I suppose though we just get to the border and see what happens. If they give us a hard time, it wouldn't be the first time (we had a pretty negative POE with the K-1).

As for the civil ceremony, I wore a gray suit and he wore dress pants and a button down. I had been at work in the morning and we were going out to a nice dinner just the two of us to celebrate. I toyed with wearing a cocktail type white dress, but decided against it because I wanted to save the white dress for our religious ceremony.

May 7, 2009 - 129F submitted

April 6, 2010 - Visa Delivered/POE (Peace Bridge)

April 23, 2010 - Civil Ceremony

May 1, 2010 - AOS/EAD Application submitted

July 12, 2010 - EAD Approved (Card Production Email #1 at 4:02 pm)

July 26, 2010 - EAD RECEIVED

August 5, 2010 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!

August 21, 2010 - Green card arrives

November 13, 2010 - Catholic ceremony

July 2, 2012 - ROC submitted to VSC

August 21, 2012 - Biometrics

February 27, 2013 - ROC Approved

Only one more step to go!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We had our civil ceremony in January and I wore jeans and a red shirt. I wasn't dressed overly casual, per se, I suppose I was dressed as if I was going out on a date or something. We didn't want to make a big deal out of the civil ceremony because no one was invited except our witnesses - we wanted to save all the fancy stuff for the actual wedding (taking place this coming January, on our first anniversary).

Timeline

Those of you that had a civil ceremony first- what did you wear?? I'm at a total loss here.. :wacko:

Hey chick, This is what we wore, my "special dress" this dress has been worn a few times but I love the fit and well I am not a dress person. I did buy a dress for our wedding but then we decided to just "do it" and I didn't have the dress with me. SO now I have a brand new dress that I will one day wear when we renew our Vows in the next few years. I actually loved being married in a court house, civil weddings are so calm and it doesn't change how special the day really is :)

july10th038-2.jpg

june10th039-1.jpg

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Timeline
His family is throwing a couples shower in Canada. I'm not quite sure what we do about bringing gifts back with us? What do I need to consider? Has anyone done this? They aren't really personal effects, because they're new? It's the first time we're using his green card to cross, so I'm a little sensitive about how that goes anyway but add bringing things back with us raises my level of concern.

From the CBP FAQ:

".... if you are returning from countries other than the Caribbean countries or U.S. insular possession you are entitled to an $800 duty-free exemption and the next $1,000 worth of the goods you purchased is subject to a flat rate of 3%."

The above amount is per person if you have been out of the US for 48 hours or more, and includes both purchases and gifts received. Here is the link for the duty free amounts for entering Canada and returning to the US: Duty Free Shopping

Those of you that had a civil ceremony first- what did you wear?? I'm at a total loss here.. :wacko:

I wore business casual.... kind of a dark brown cocktail dress.

iagree.gif

• 1 month later...

I checked half a dozen jewelry stores and most say it takes 2-3 weeks to order wedding bands. Good thing I didn't wait 'til after Dave moves here 2 weeks before the wedding! :o

We're going with a different florist than I first spoke with. The new one says roses can't be dyed the same way as other flowers, they don't wick the water up the stem. Instead they need to be spray-painted. (We want blue roses like in the place in the game world where our characters first met, see my sig.) She spray-painted a carnation for me and the next day I couldn't smell the spray paint unless I put my nose right up to it. I'm glad the florist tells it like it is!

We finally have/know where to get all the parts required to make the wedding favours, w00tz! Mom's done addressing the invitations in super neat calligraphy. :) Still need to get printer to recognise the size of the invitations instead of erroring "Paper Mismatch". Cake topper is *mostly* done, just needs a few finishing touches. (Srsly the way I do art projects it won't be done 'til the day before it's "due". :P

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol at least this one stays relevent with ppl posting their wedding info, I hate the ones they rez where they ask a question of a person about a situation 80 billion years ago, instead of making a new one. Odds are most of the ppl they ask arent even on the boards anymore.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Yay for the wedding thread!

2-3 weeks for wedding rings? Are you ordering something special? We went in, picked them out, had them sized, and walked out with them the same day. Unless you are special ordering, I'd try somewhere else. That seems excessive!

Blue roses sound awesome!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I had blue roses at me wedding... I think they were white roses that were dyed blue..

I had initially told the lady who did my flowers that I had wanted all blue roses with a 4 or so white roses but when she did it she changed it to white with a few blue roses because she said it was too blue but I had wanted a blue bouquet because I didn't want it to blend into the dress in the pics.....it still was a very pretty bouquet though

41DavidI-engagedspot-1.jpg

I had wanted blue hydrangeas but they weren't in season...

my maid of honour and flower girl had white tulips...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

@Hugglebuggles:

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary, plain white gold bands. I wonder why they say so long. o_o

@Marilyn.:

Pretty pic! That was poopeh of that lady to change your request on you though. :angry:

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

@Hugglebuggles:

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary, plain white gold bands. I wonder why they say so long. o_o

@Marilyn.:

Pretty pic! That was poopeh of that lady to change your request on you though. :angry:

yeah, i was a little upset about it... if I remember correctly i didn't find out til my SIL handed me my bouquet the day of the wedding... we had also discussed leaving the stems showing but she went and wrapped them completely.. this was a lady who just did it on the side.. don't get me wrong it still was a very pretty bouquet...

oh and that pic was taken on the spot where my hubby asked me to marry him.. although he didn't get down on his knees when he asked me ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Our wedding is less than three months away, and I'm just now starting to freak out about it all. I think my problem is that I really don't care about a lot of things I have to plan - musicians for the ceremony, bouquets, men's attire, etc. - and so I procrastinate. I thought I was pretty much done planning when I got the big stuff like my dress, the reception hall, and the food out of the way. But now all the small details I have to deal with are slowly chipping away at my sanity, lol.

Timeline

@Hugglebuggles:

/quote]

All I can say is be careful you ask questions at the jewelry store - we had a wedding ring nightmare about 1 yr after our wedding.

We had purchased them at Ben Moss in Canada (a reputable enough place you'd think) about 4 months before the wedding - white gold and each was engraved

1 year later I take my band off for some reason and was looking at it in the light and noticed it had 'flaked' near the engraving...now ...a wedding ring should NOT flake considering it's solid gold.

Well - guess what - it wasn't - they had sold us gold plated wedding bands....and it was almost funny because from the day we out them on - they didn't seem as 'white gold and gleaming' as we expected them to be...but we figured, ok - whatever. I was very, very upset - it pi$$ed me off that they had made something I considered important into a piece of cheap #######....the warrantee on a wedding ring which is engraved had long run out....we'd bought them in Canada and weren't planning on going anywhere back home anytime soon. We dropped by Jared's and they confirmed it was just gold plated.

So we ended up buying new bands at Kays and this time we went for Palladium - which is a step down from Platinum...a wee bit cheaper, but equally fine looking...slightly heavier them gold....and beautifully silver.

Definitely ensure you are getting solid gold...ask them to confirm...if that's what you want that is.

F...Ben Moss is all I have to say. I considered going to the Better Business Bureau back in Kitchener...but frankly....I don't have time

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.