July09Bride

Wedding Details

2,369 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually, most Canadians I know give money at weddings. NOT trying to bash registering here, but....

we didn't register & got mostly money(lets not get started on how much $$ Americans give compared to Canadians :P ). I know some people say that money is so im-personal, but we prefered it, to pay our wedding expenses & take a trip. Both of us have also lived on our own & now have double & triple of stuff, since I moved in.

Yeah our registry will be for my bridal shower in June but I'm just registering more to give people an option to give a gift if they want to but I anticipate 80% of my guests will give us money. I'm also registering so that I can buy some stuff I need at a discount. And, we've never lived on our own so we actually do need stuff. I know I technically don't *need* fine china and crystal but I feel like it'll be nice to have once we have a house and a family.

In all both our cultures, it is custom to give money, not gifts at the wedding. I don't think it's an American/Canadian thing though. Because I've been to 2 weddings in the US so far and they have both been money weddings also and they were both Italian/Irish weddings. So I think it's a cultural thing in both countries. My English friends in Canada get gifts at their wedding. All my Portuguese, Jewish, Italian and European friends all get cash at their weddings.

My husband doesnt want to register, but i'd rather not get random stuff if people want to buy a gift. I see it more as a helpful hint for people, not a entitled type of thing that I am asking for presents.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah our registry will be for my bridal shower in June but I'm just registering more to give people an option to give a gift if they want to but I anticipate 80% of my guests will give us money. I'm also registering so that I can buy some stuff I need at a discount. And, we've never lived on our own so we actually do need stuff. I know I technically don't *need* fine china and crystal but I feel like it'll be nice to have once we have a house and a family.

In all both our cultures, it is custom to give money, not gifts at the wedding. I don't think it's an American/Canadian thing though. Because I've been to 2 weddings in the US so far and they have both been money weddings also and they were both Italian/Irish weddings. So I think it's a cultural thing in both countries. My English friends in Canada get gifts at their wedding. All my Portuguese, Jewish, Italian and European friends all get cash at their weddings.

My husband doesnt want to register, but i'd rather not get random stuff if people want to buy a gift. I see it more as a helpful hint for people, not a entitled type of thing that I am asking for presents.

Well, that's it. The ones that have european backgrounds usually give money. But talking to my husband & his family, a lot of people on his side usually give gifts.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Around here it generally goes half half. We will NOT be listing that we have registered anywhere on our invitations. I created a website for us and will list the info there so it doesn't look like we're demanding that they buy us gifts or anything. This way, they have a choice and don't feel pressured into anything if they aren't in the right financial situation to be buying us a gift. I'm even going to make a "registry" button so that they can decide whether they want to click it or not, LOL.

After all, I'm planning this wedding so that I can be married to him, not to get gifts. But gifts would be pretty awesome. :yes:

On another note, I'm seriously terrified about my Bridal Shower. All day today at work one of my MOHs was texting all the other girls and I wasn't allowed to see. :( I just hope I get some good lingerie!

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

I had a surprise shower the night before my wedding :lol:

We had cheesecake and I got nice underwear.

I got a small album of photos that my aunts and uncles had that shows my life from a baby to 16. I didn't really get many pictures taken after 16 :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I bought the invitations last night. Exclusively weddings has a promotion going on right now that if you spend $150 you get a free 2 for 1 cruise certificate. So I ended up buying 100 invitations, 3 bags of sand for my unity sand ceremony, bags for my bridesmaids and a shadow box for my mom. I figure it would be an awesome way to spend our one year anniversary since we weren't able to get quite the honeymoon we wanted.

Tomorrow starts wedding crunch time! I'm going on my diet and starting P90X. The wedding is sneaking up on me fast, it's only 4 months away now.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
I bought the invitations last night. Exclusively weddings has a promotion going on right now that if you spend $150 you get a free 2 for 1 cruise certificate. So I ended up buying 100 invitations, 3 bags of sand for my unity sand ceremony, bags for my bridesmaids and a shadow box for my mom. I figure it would be an awesome way to spend our one year anniversary since we weren't able to get quite the honeymoon we wanted.

Tomorrow starts wedding crunch time! I'm going on my diet and starting P90X. The wedding is sneaking up on me fast, it's only 4 months away now.

What cruise line?

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Norwegian Cruise Line. My uncle used them for his honeymoon and said that they were really clean and nice on board so hopefully it'll be the same when we go next year.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

We're going on a cruise for... a really late honeymoon when we can afford it.

We're probably going to do a Carnival cruise, I've been on 3 of them and they're AMAZING.

I love cruises.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
We're going on a cruise for... a really late honeymoon when we can afford it.

We're probably going to do a Carnival cruise, I've been on 3 of them and they're AMAZING.

I love cruises.

I've never been on one. I've never even been to the beach. I know, it's sad. I just hope I dont get sea sick!

I'm just really excited about it since it'll give us a good excuse to get away for a while. However, this might all backfire if there's a little Mathew and Kayla on the way. :luv: :luv:

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My hubby and I were supposed to go on a cruise this May but because of the snow, the school year was extended and I cant take the time off.. and Ive already agreed to teach this summer. Anyway we were looking at Carnival and Norwegian Cruise Line. Ive read a whole lot about the two of them and they seem really good. And now, if you book a cruise for May, you can get on a 2 night 3 day one for 209 dollars! Food (except for alcohol) and recreation are included in the price... you just pay for extra excursion when you dock to islands (in this case the Bahamas). Anyway, there are more choices in the summer, but they do get pricier because its in the summer. NCL is especially nice for young couples because they have lots of entertainment functions and they do a more "freestyle" cruise -- no scheduled dining, etc.

Im disappointed we arent going as we've talked about it for months! We're going to Sarasota in Florida instead, so its not so bad... but I do wish we could go cruising :)

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline

We LOVE cruises. We've been on 3 so far together and plan to try and get platinum status on Carnival (10 cruises or more). We are going on cruise for our honeymoon in September. An 8 day leaving from NYC that stops in Bahamas, Turks & Caicos and then the cruiseline's private island in the Bahamas. We sail exclusively Carnival because we love how cheap they are but how much value you get.

I'm contemplating buying something off that site to the get the 2 for 1 coupon... I just want to know if it's for any particular cruise lengths or times of year etc. If I used the coupon, I'd only want go on a 7 day... They don't list out the restrictions though so that makes me nervous!

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My hubby and I were supposed to go on a cruise this May but because of the snow, the school year was extended and I cant take the time off.. and Ive already agreed to teach this summer. Anyway we were looking at Carnival and Norwegian Cruise Line. Ive read a whole lot about the two of them and they seem really good. And now, if you book a cruise for May, you can get on a 2 night 3 day one for 209 dollars! Food (except for alcohol) and recreation are included in the price... you just pay for extra excursion when you dock to islands (in this case the Bahamas). Anyway, there are more choices in the summer, but they do get pricier because its in the summer. NCL is especially nice for young couples because they have lots of entertainment functions and they do a more "freestyle" cruise -- no scheduled dining, etc.

Im disappointed we arent going as we've talked about it for months! We're going to Sarasota in Florida instead, so its not so bad... but I do wish we could go cruising :)

Let me know when you're here! Sarasota is only 2ish hrs from us!

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
Let me know when you're here! Sarasota is only 2ish hrs from us!

I will!!! We havent booked our tickets yet, but it looks like we're going late May, staying 5 days. We wont have a car, but if you are able to, Id love to meet up!

Removal of Conditions:

Timeline

I am going for my menu tasting today! We are thinking of serving Italian for our wedding, as it is the one cuisine the hubby and I agree on. Im also thinking of serving roasted pork on a spit to touch on my Filipino heritage as well. I am so excited!

Removal of Conditions:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.