Dr. ZoSo

Married To A German :)

436 posts in this topic

katzenzungen!!

Asked hubby what that meant-when he gave me the literal translation... :o

Then he showed me this:

9fv5zt.jpg

Looks yummy! :D

This thread is getting disturbing :blush:: I'm not sure what a lot of these products are but I'm hoping they're more innocent than the picture portrays.

What is quark?

My wife found this chocolate once in our local Bosnia store. At first glance you might think the chocolate has something terrible to do with cats, parts of cats, something cats leave behind, etc...

It is good chocolate though!

Wipfeld.jpg

zep_19579_010.gif

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone every visited a Hofbrauhaus in the U.S.? My wife and I went there about 3 years ago while visiting friends in Ohio.

A horrible story to prove just how into German food my wife is and what she'll do to get it....

While in Ohio (to make a long story short) my wife broke her leg ice skating. Now, not only did she break her leg, she broke it in two places in both of the lower bones in her right leg.

After 10 hours of surgery and one day in the hospital I was getting everything ready to take her back home to Georgia when she demanded to go to hofbrauhaus before leaving Ohio. I think she was still loaded up on hospital pain meds because she hardly complained about her leg at all that first day.

Wipfeld.jpg

zep_19579_010.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

ahh for lunch i had a spießbraten sandwich, it was guuuuuuud

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Anyone every visited a Hofbrauhaus in the U.S.? My wife and I went there about 3 years ago while visiting friends in Ohio.

A horrible story to prove just how into German food my wife is and what she'll do to get it....

While in Ohio (to make a long story short) my wife broke her leg ice skating. Now, not only did she break her leg, she broke it in two places in both of the lower bones in her right leg.

After 10 hours of surgery and one day in the hospital I was getting everything ready to take her back home to Georgia when she demanded to go to hofbrauhaus before leaving Ohio. I think she was still loaded up on hospital pain meds because she hardly complained about her leg at all that first day.

Ouch. Hope she is all better now. :)

I've never been to that, but there is a German restaurant here in Indianapolis that is pretty popular called Rathskeller. I was only there once and then I just drank beer, so I don't know too much about the food. I've just been told that it is pretty good.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

ahh-- döner meat wth rice and salad..

today i had a matjes baguette.. it defintely owns

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
oh, for the Quark btw, go to a mexican store, or the mexican section of a walmart in the cheese section (theres one), and look for REQUESON... thats the mexican quark

That's it!

We only needed it to make the Quarksahnetorte for our wedding (which of course I didn't get....not that I'm bitter). We found it at Whole Foods.

P's mom and oma use it quite a bit, but he's never expressed an interest in cooking anything else with it.

My mouth is watering thinking of the beer and mead I get to drink soon...

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but this seemed like the right group to ask...

For those of you who married your German spouse in the U.S., did you (and if so, how did you) notify Germany of your marriage? And how did you notify Germany of your name change? Obviously we will not be able to attempt this in person since we are K1.

Thanks in advance for your help! I don't want to overload my SO with anything else than he already has with his upcoming move, and he is feeling a bit overwhelmed with his bachelorhood ending. ;) I'm sure that planning a trip to Las Vegas a few days after his arrival is causing that, haha. But at least that way some of his family can attend! The only bummer is that I doubt we will be breaking any china in a LV hotel room for a Polterabend.

And :ot2: how many of your German spouses say "It's just not possible" as a regular phrase? JundP & I have that in common already with our German SO's... so I'm curious just how common that is!

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Timeline

Aubrey, I just made a comment on FB saying you need to update us here :-)

P never notified anyone of our marriage. I don't think it's an issue unless we want to move back (or have kids and register their birth abroad) since he's no longer a resident.

Bummer about the Polterabend though :)

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but this seemed like the right group to ask...

For those of you who married your German spouse in the U.S., did you (and if so, how did you) notify Germany of your marriage? And how did you notify Germany of your name change? Obviously we will not be able to attempt this in person since we are K1.

Thanks in advance for your help! I don't want to overload my SO with anything else than he already has with his upcoming move, and he is feeling a bit overwhelmed with his bachelorhood ending. ;) I'm sure that planning a trip to Las Vegas a few days after his arrival is causing that, haha. But at least that way some of his family can attend! The only bummer is that I doubt we will be breaking any china in a LV hotel room for a Polterabend.

And :ot2: how many of your German spouses say "It's just not possible" as a regular phrase? JundP & I have that in common already with our German SO's... so I'm curious just how common that is!

About the only notification we did at first was to have my wife's name changed in her passport. All that took was a trip to the German consulate here in Atlanta.

On our most recent trip last year however her father asked us to bring our marriage certificate with us when we came over. After we got there he took us to the district government office (sorry to all of the Germans here....I don't know what type of office it was) to update her official I.D.. It looked like a passport office on the inside as well as other court offices in other rooms of the building.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dr. ZoSo

Wipfeld.jpg

zep_19579_010.gif

Aubrey -

Yes, if your German spouse has a name change, then a passport update is necessary. Although, if you have no plans to move back to Germany, then I don't believe there is much more to do.

Dr. Zoso -

You were probably at your local Rathaus when you did that paperwork. (Which is pretty much the equivalent of the American "County Clerk & Recorder's Office" at which you obtain passport services, voter's registration services, marriage services, etc.)

jundp -

I often have the problem with my German husband saying things are not possible. Or, most of the time, he says that I make things sound a million times easier than they really are.

After our most recent conversation about starting our "visa journey," I explained to him the "problem." At the time, we were eating breakfast. I looked at him, pointing at his coffee, and said "How full is your coffee?" He stared at me with a blank look. I told him "I think your coffee is half-full. What do you think?" He jokingly agreed with me, to which I asked if he was being honest. He told me he thinks it's half-empty.

So, the way I see it is this: I am always a happy-go-lucky, positive-thinking person, and he is not. We have a lot of things in common, but that is definitely not one of the things. He always see's the negative side of things.

Although, since we had that conversation that day, he tries to think more positive. :)

Edited by veronicavonn

I am the USC, my husband is German.

I resided in Germany from July 2008-October 2013.

I have two stepsons who are staying in Germany.

Our son was born 3/3/2012 and our daughter was born 4/4/2015.

DCF STARTED!MAY 14, 2013: I-130 Petition sent to Frankfurt as registered mail w/ return receipt!

MAY 15, 2013: Mail signed for in Frankfurt. NOA1

MAY 21, 2013: Return receipt came back in the mail.

MAY 25, 2013: $420 Petition fee was charged to our credit card.

MAY 25, 2013: NOA1 paperwork received in the mail.

JULY 12, 2013: NOA2 received.

JULY 13, 2013: NOA2 sent back.

AUG 15, 2013: Packet 3 sent in.

AUG 30, 2013: Husband's medical in Berlin.

SEPT 12, 2013: Received letter with husband's interview date!

SEPT 19, 2013: INTERVIEW. APPROVED!!

SEPT 21, 2013: Visa received.

OCT 5, 2013: POE in Newark, NJ (layover).

DEC 17, 2013: SSN Card finally arrived!

DEC 19, 2013: Husband (beneficiary) got his first job in the USA! And he loves it!

DEC 28, 2013: Green card arrived!

FUTURE: Visas for my stepsons!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Aubrey, it is not a must to register your marriage and name change in Germany.

However, once your spouse (that's if he will change his name) has to renew his passport, this will have to be done first.

It is illegal to do this in Germany in the local courthouse. I am really confused that they did this for you guys, Dr. ZoSo. Normally everybody not residing in Germany anymore has to get all this paperwork done through the German embassies overseas, local offices will turn you away (well, they should, at least).

So, once you guys are married and everything, have your hubby check out the website of the German consulate, it will have all the info. You can download a form to register the marriage and a name change and send it in. The consulate will do the rest, forward it to Germany etc and notify and send you confimation once everything went through. I really have nothing bad to say about this process, in my case it was smooth sailing.

And I have never said the it's just not possible thing ;) I usually always say "everything will be just fine".

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Timeline
So, the way I see it is this: I am always a happy-go-lucky, positive-thinking person, and he is not. We have a lot of things in common, but that is definitely not one of the things. He always see's the negative side of things.

Although, since we had that conversation that day, he tries to think more positive. :)

:lol: Veronica, that's so us! P says he isn't negative he's just realistic.

So wait, do we need to register our marriage with Germany somehow then? P told me we didn't need to, but it's sounding like we should.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

My (German) husband is definitely the more positive thinker. I'm the worrier of the 2 of us. I'm not sure if that says more about him, or about me! :D

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.