MARM

Time frame for legally staying in the United Kingdom

282 posts in this topic

Is there a Pakistani Embassy in London? It seems like they would be the ones to help a Pakistani citizen and try to pull some strings to get it pushed through since it's way past due. I can see where the American Embassy probably can't go to bat for a Pakistani for an UK issued visa.

We have contacted the Pakistani Embassy in London, they suggested that the only way they can help would be to issue him a second emergency passport for the interview at the US Embassy....

we later found out that there is a high chance that my fiance can get in trouble for keeping a second emergency passport, I think it is considered illegal in most cases, only very urgent cases can get an emergency passport: such as a stolen or lost passport, and our case does not qualify.

Could he not get an emergency passport for his Embassy interview and as soon as the old passport is returned he surrenders that one? Therefore he would only have one passport in his possession.

His passport is in effect 'lost' in the system while he's trying to get an extension on his student visa.

Going to play devil's advocate on this suggestion:

1. It's sort of fraud...to my mind.

1a. And the US embassy has already been told it's stuck in processing with UK!

1b. Considering how sensitive the US and the UK are to (I hope you'll forgive me for mentioning) terrorist related countries, do you want to go about trying to have 2 passports in the system? I'm sure that there is no relationship in your specific case, but I'd avoid shady-looking actions at all costs.

2. Then how does the visa get transferred to the actual passport again?

3. How do you deal with any hassles that having a reportedly lost/stolen passport presents?

3a. What if Pakistan embassy reports this to UK, and they say 'Oh, well someone's applied for a student visa extension on that passport!' Leading back to #1....

3b. What if a new permanent passport is ordered and the old one is voided? May have to wait for new permanent one. I thought we were looking for the fast track.

4. What if passport stamps were intended to be used in relationship evidence?

5. What other restrictions are there on a temporary emergency passport?

5a. Will the US embassy accept a temporary, emergency passport?

5b. Only good for one way trip back home to get a new one?

These are just a few concerns you'd want to have clear in your mind before you went this route, Marm....

Thanks Nik+Heather, I appreciate that you put everything in perspective.

The bolded points are the exact reason that he cannot pursue this avenue

Another reason I would like to mention is that usually when one says they lost a passport, with the Pakistani embassy, the first measure is investigating whether it has really been lost...and that could take a lot of time.

-I really appreciate everyone's help with all this! (F) (F) (F)

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason I would like to mention is that usually when one says they lost a passport, with the Pakistani embassy, the first measure is investigating whether it has really been lost...and that could take a lot of time.

Yes, requesting a new passport would be a Really Bad Idea in my mind.

The background to what you said is that in order for a country's passports to be considered valid in other country's eyes (e.g. the US and the UK) they must adhere to certain standards to ensure the security of the document. A key to that security is making sure that no more than one passport is available to a person at a given time so they won't issue a replacement for a stolen passport without a police report or for a lost one without a thorough investigation to determine whether it's been used recently, returned to the Pakistani embassy after being turned in to the police, etc, etc, etc...

Even if they did issue one, however, an emergency passport will almost certainly be marked as such and the US embassy will want to know why he has it leaving him with two options: (1) tell them the truth that he obtained an emergency passport when the original is neither lost nor stolen or (2) lie to them about it. Both options would doubtless lead to denial and a ban for misrepresentation.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

proclaiming a passport "lost" which is not really lost in the normal sense is most likely committing fraud, so PLEASE do not go down that route

you have to file a police report if your passport is lost (at least you do with the US, not sure about Pakistan), and speaking as someone whose US passport has been both lost and stolen you are setting yourself up for a bureacratic nightmare in applying for future passports never mind visas.

It is a terrible idea. Reschedule your interview!

90day.jpg

proclaiming a passport "lost" which is not really lost in the normal sense is most likely committing fraud, so PLEASE do not go down that route

you have to file a police report if your passport is lost (at least you do with the US, not sure about Pakistan), and speaking as someone whose US passport has been both lost and stolen you are setting yourself up for a bureacratic nightmare in applying for future passports never mind visas.

It is a terrible idea. Reschedule your interview!

Yes I could not agree with you more. And yes, you do need to file a police report if your passport is lost/stolen with regards to a Pakistani passport.

We have our hopes up high that we will get his passport in time for the interview. We are counting down the days...we have contacted his MP as well and will send faxes on Tuesday with an expedite request (we have been told by 2-3 people that were waiting well above processing time that they faxed in a expedite request and were given their passport with in a matter of days). But in case all of this does not happen....

We will reschedule the interview for later in May.

But this is the issue about rescheduling that we have:

How soon should we send a rescheduling request to the US Embassy?

By email, the US Embassy replies within 2-4 days on average.

Last time we rescheduled, we called, got the email code and rescheduled well in advance (2 weeks) because at that time we were not ready for the March 30 interview.

So this time, how soon should we reschedule? We were planning on waiting until April 22 for the passport (which is a Wednesday) so then we email them later on the 22nd so that according to their average days for response by email, they have until Tuesday to respond (but Tuesday is April 28, our interview date). And what if we reschedule on the 22nd because we did not get the passport, but then the passport decides to show up on the morning of the 27th of April? Then we wait until the newly rescheduled interview date or what?

Confused on what to do!!!

can i just say that i will be SO FREAKING HAPPY when you guys get this settled! you are holding up well in circumstances that are beyond trying!

i hear some hope in that last post so i am keeping my fingers crossed that the MP route/expediting gets his passport back to him SOON!

i like your new timelines!

as always, good luck and hang in there!

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

can i just say that i will be SO FREAKING HAPPY when you guys get this settled! you are holding up well in circumstances that are beyond trying!

i hear some hope in that last post so i am keeping my fingers crossed that the MP route/expediting gets his passport back to him SOON!

i like your new timelines!

as always, good luck and hang in there!

thanks dear! you are always so supportive (F) (F) (F)

it is wonderful to have your support, it makes a huge difference for us :yes:

We rescheduled ours a week in advance, if I recall correctly. My then-fiance had a last minute emergency and they were very responsive.

I really do wish you the best of luck - it can't be easy dealing with 2 different sets of visa issues at once! :star:

90day.jpg

We rescheduled ours a week in advance, if I recall correctly. My then-fiance had a last minute emergency and they were very responsive.

I really do wish you the best of luck - it can't be easy dealing with 2 different sets of visa issues at once! :star:

Thanks for the best wishes rkl57!

I am getting a little worried about my fiance's interview in terms of documents I sent to him.

Just to confirm, is the following enough? I still have time to send him more documents if required, so please, I would appreciate advice!

marmdocr.jpg

w640.png

Decided that I am fine with the documents...will find out if we will actually put them together for the interview April 28 in a few days...when we decide whether or not to reschedule the interview.

So far...no passport yet :angry:

Although the US Embassy wants (and needs) to see the passport, I believe it's mainly to establish legal identity with a document issued from the home country so, would it be worth checking if they would accept a notarised photographic document of identity and covering letter from the Pakistani Ambassador at the Embassy for your fiance's K1 interview, explaining the situation, with a copy of his passport particulars (assuming your fiance kept a copy of his passport when he sent the original in)?

Many people have supplied their passport after interviews as a result of RFE's or late medical results, although I'd guess that they originally attended with their passports, so it might be worth a phone call or three.

This is a somewhat unusual circumstance, and something that's out of your control and I hate to see you penalised for it.

Good luck, I hate that you're stuck in this horrid loop, and all haste to your visa! :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Although the US Embassy wants (and needs) to see the passport, I believe it's mainly to establish legal identity with a document issued from the home country so, would it be worth checking if they would accept a notarised photographic document of identity and covering letter from the Pakistani Ambassador at the Embassy for your fiance's K1 interview, explaining the situation, with a copy of his passport particulars (assuming your fiance kept a copy of his passport when he sent the original in)?

Many people have supplied their passport after interviews as a result of RFE's or late medical results, although I'd guess that they originally attended with their passports, so it might be worth a phone call or three.

This is a somewhat unusual circumstance, and something that's out of your control and I hate to see you penalised for it.

Good luck, I hate that you're stuck in this horrid loop, and all haste to your visa! :)

Thank you for the advice :yes:. We have emailed and called the embassy regarding this issue, but so far they have not given us positive results. But we plan to bring up this issue and ask whether it is a possible solution when we call next week to reschedule the interview if the passport does not show up. We will inquire along the line of: "This is the issue....can we do this instead...if not...what else can we present instead of the passport...if nothing else...then please reschedule the interview date..." Basically asking the embassy to make the decision on whether to reschedule the interview date or provide us with a solution.

Have a wonderful weekend, will write an update as soon as something new happens (like hopefully getting our passport in time...) :)

Don't you have to show your passport to get through the embassy's security checkpoint? I can't remember clearly (that day is a blur in my memory) but I'm pretty sure I was asked for mine at the checkpoint...

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Don't you have to show your passport to get through the embassy's security checkpoint? I can't remember clearly (that day is a blur in my memory) but I'm pretty sure I was asked for mine at the checkpoint...

Yes you are correct, one must show their passport at the gate before being allowed to enter the embassy...which is why we ditched the option for my fiance to just show up at the interview with other forms of ID or notarized copies of the passport. I also think this is the reason the embassy wrote in an email to us "no passport, no interview". We are going to email the embassy with our situation again in a few days and have them decide what to do about the passport issue.

The theory here would be that if they accepted an alternative notarised document, Marm's fiance would have it in writing - either a copy of email or letter or some form of hardcopy acceptance for the interview, so the security people would be able to confirm with the authoriser and allow them through the checkpoint.

I very much doubt they'll accommodate the request, but it's better than not trying at all (and who knows, we may end up with a VJ precedent being set if they do allow it because of the unusual circumstances!). :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.