MARM

Time frame for legally staying in the United Kingdom

282 posts in this topic

We contacted the Pakistani consulate in the UK:-

They cannot issue my fiance a travel document because his passport is not lost or stolen and according to them, he can ask for it back anytime from the US Embassy in London. They state that if my fiance MUST leave because of UKHO laws and regulations, the US Embassy cannot hold his passport in their possession, otherwise they would be in a predicament with the UKHO.

So we are stuck in this vicious cycle of everyone redirecting us to everyone else and the circle goes round and round forever.

I guess worse comes to worst, my fiance will just have to sit there and wait for the US Embassy in London to return his passport to him before he can attempt to leave the UK. And if he is questioned about his overstay, he just has to explain himself very well and submit all proof of attempts to communicate his situation with the US Embassy in London, who are in possession of his passport.

About 1 month and 2 weeks is all the US Embassy in London has to return his passport in time for him to exit the UK in time of his UK FLR(S) expiry.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know things have changed A LOT since this happened but I overstayed (before becoming a UKC) my student visa back in the 90s because I was stupid and didn't know better and it wasn't a major issue for me on subsequent returns and visa applications. I think the overstay was 3 months.

90day.jpg

Well I know things have changed A LOT since this happened but I overstayed (before becoming a UKC) my student visa back in the 90s because I was stupid and didn't know better and it wasn't a major issue for me on subsequent returns and visa applications. I think the overstay was 3 months.

Thanks Trompe le Monde! Frankly speaking, my fiance does not ever want to go back to the UK, he was there for the sole purpose to study, and now that he is done, he doesn't see anything there for him. Also, he doesn't have any family there, no other ties there either, so there is probably a 0.0001% chance that we would even think of going there in the future. The .0001 is because as they say you never know, but we really don't have a reason to go back there. The only thing both my fiance and I fear is any trouble with the UKHO when he is exiting London once he gets his K-1, and also the fact that he doesn't want the UKHO show up at his door the day after his UK FLR(S) expires, because they aren't easy to deal with, and it is just a lot of added stress!

The only thing both my fiance and I fear is any trouble with the UKHO when he is exiting London once he gets his K-1, and also the fact that he doesn't want the UKHO show up at his door the day after his UK FLR(S) expires, because they aren't easy to deal with, and it is just a lot of added stress!

Remember that when you leave a country, you don't ordinarily pass through any form of immigration control. I'm sure there's a technical possibility of his name being flagged at check-in and him being asked to speak to the nice gentlemen in suits but I suspect that's very unlikely. Are there reports of such things happening at UK airports? Even if they do give him a ticking off for overstaying, (IANAL) I can see no legal or logical reason to stop him boarding the plane - it would be totally counter productive to stop somebody who's out of status from getting on a flight that will take him outside the UK's borders.

If he has no conceivable reason to want to return to the UK in the future, I wouldn't be too worried about a little bit of overstay. I suspect the chances of the UKBA turning up on the doorstep are slim too.

But as you said, there's still 6 weeks, I should hope it will never come to that :)

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Remember that when you leave a country, you don't ordinarily pass through any form of immigration control. I'm sure there's a technical possibility of his name being flagged at check-in and him being asked to speak to the nice gentlemen in suits but I suspect that's very unlikely. Are there reports of such things happening at UK airports? Even if they do give him a ticking off for overstaying, (IANAL) I can see no legal or logical reason to stop him boarding the plane - it would be totally counter productive to stop somebody who's out of status from getting on a flight that will take him outside the UK's borders.

If he has no conceivable reason to want to return to the UK in the future, I wouldn't be too worried about a little bit of overstay. I suspect the chances of the UKBA turning up on the doorstep are slim too.

But as you said, there's still 6 weeks, I should hope it will never come to that :)

Thanks JeremyR, we are hoping that he gets his visa any day now. The thought of even speaking to the nice gentlemen in suits is pretty intimidating to us...to be honest, Pakistani citizens are quite scrutinized these days and the horror stories of being detained (even though there was no real reason to detain to begin with) are scary!

they have checked passports on the way out - it is rare, but it has happened and seemed to happen quite a bit after 7/7/05 - there are immigration desks at both Heathrow and Gatwick near security but they are rarely staffed. Actually the one time I overstayed was one such time....I got a bit of a grilling but the IO was fairly cool when I admitted how stupid I had been. When I re-entered (only weeks later) with a valid visa I was grilled a bit but it was all fine.

your fiance carried documentation he would be able confirm it.

90day.jpg

they have checked passports on the way out - it is rare, but it has happened and seemed to happen quite a bit after 7/7/05 - there are immigration desks at both Heathrow and Gatwick near security but they are rarely staffed. Actually the one time I overstayed was one such time....I got a bit of a grilling but the IO was fairly cool when I admitted how stupid I had been. When I re-entered (only weeks later) with a valid visa I was grilled a bit but it was all fine.

your fiance carried documentation he would be able confirm it.

We will be ready with piles of documents if that is what they need!

Update: (although it is confusing to us :wacko: )

DOS told me today (I confirmed this by calling twice) that London put a note in the system today about receiving my fiance's passport. I don't know what this means because my fiance sent his passport to the US Embassy in London back in June, and the embassy received his passport (via SMS) on June 15, 2009. So the fact that London recorded his passport in the system on June 15, 09 and also today is weird. Does this make sense?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

DOS told me today (I confirmed this by calling twice) that London put a note in the system today about receiving my fiance's passport. I don't know what this means because my fiance sent his passport to the US Embassy in London back in June, and the embassy received his passport (via SMS) on June 15, 2009. So the fact that London recorded his passport in the system on June 15, 09 and also today is weird. Does this make sense?

maybe they sent to washington for the AP/AR after june and they just got it back from there now?

maybe they sent to washington for the AP/AR after june and they just got it back from there now?

Maybe, but I thought the passport was kept at the embassy the whole time and AP information to Washington is submitted electronically...oh well, whatever it is, I just hope it is a GOOD thing and that it means that my fiance will get his visa soon! (SSS8380: just sent you a PM by the way :) )

Thanks Trompe le Monde! Frankly speaking, my fiance does not ever want to go back to the UK, he was there for the sole purpose to study, and now that he is done, he doesn't see anything there for him. Also, he doesn't have any family there, no other ties there either, so there is probably a 0.0001% chance that we would even think of going there in the future. The .0001 is because as they say you never know, but we really don't have a reason to go back there. The only thing both my fiance and I fear is any trouble with the UKHO when he is exiting London once he gets his K-1, and also the fact that he doesn't want the UKHO show up at his door the day after his UK FLR(S) expires, because they aren't easy to deal with, and it is just a lot of added stress!

Lets hope he gets out safe and sound.....and god forbid he should ever want to return to a country that gave him his education!

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Lets hope he gets out safe and sound.....and god forbid he should ever want to return to a country that gave him his education!

The UK did not just "give" my fiance his education. My fiance had to work for it, he had to endure much discrimination being a Pakistani citizen in the UK, not to mention the fact that the UKHO is responsible for a large chunk of the delay in our process because my fiance was following the rules by re-applying for his student visa extension, and the UKHO admitted it was their fault in letting his application sit there for so long when it was approved long ago. I do not appreciate your comments and this is my thread, so if you don't have anything helpful to add, please refrain from posting here. Your sarcastic comments show that you know nothing of our visa journey so far, but rather you are too quick to judge. The UK did not just give my fiance his education, I don't need to explain that any further. And even if by some miracle the UK granted my fiance the favor of an education there, that does NOT mean that his loyalties should lie there. And this especially does not mean that I have to read your sarcastic comments in MY thread.

Edited by MARM

Comments like that don't help Marm & her fiance in an extremely stressful situation. Her fiance is in limbo & is uncertain about how to resolve their situation in the UK without even a passport to travel. :devil:

A little compassion please.

K1

5/16/08:Received NA01

2/24/09: NA02 APPROVAL... finally, after 9 MONTHS & 8 DAYS!!

5/5/09 : Interview Date APPROVED!!!!

5/8/09: visa received

From NA01 to interview: 12 LONG MONTHS!!

07/23/09: received SSN

08/17/09: Passed Driving test

08/22/09: Married on beautiful Mackinac Island, MI

AOS

08/31/09: Mailed AOS Package

10/20/09: Received AP

10/21/09 Received EAD card

12/7/09 AOS APPROVED!

12/14/09: Green Card arrived in mail. Happy Days!

It's taken 18 months from applying for K1 to receipt of Green Card! Thank God it's over until 12/7/11

Here we go again...

ROC

09/14/11: Mailed I-751 to Vermont

09/19/11: NA01

10/14/11: Biometrics

7/2/12: Approved. New Card Ordered

7/7/12: Green Card received

Comments like that don't help Marm & her fiance in an extremely stressful situation. Her fiance is in limbo & is uncertain about how to resolve their situation in the UK without even a passport to travel. :devil:

Thanks MonkeyJuice for your support! :) BTW, congrats on your EAD :dance: :dance: :dance:

Compassion is a blessing, my purpose of this thread is just to get all the information and ideas we possibly could for solving the issue at hand.

OK a little compassion may be needed, but I dont like to read that people used my country for the purpose of getting an education. Some of us who are in the US actually miss our home country... So perhaps a better choice of words is needed on both parts.

I hope u get your situation resolved swiftly.

The UK did not just "give" my fiance his education. My fiance had to work for it, he had to endure much discrimination being a Pakistani citizen in the UK, not to mention the fact that the UKHO is responsible for a large chunk of the delay in our process because my fiance was following the rules by re-applying for his student visa extension, and the UKHO admitted it was their fault in letting his application sit there for so long when it was approved long ago. I do not appreciate your comments and this is my thread, so if you don't have anything helpful to add, please refrain from posting here. Your sarcastic comments show that you know nothing of our visa journey so far, but rather you are too quick to judge. The UK did not just give my fiance his education, I don't need to explain that any further. And even if by some miracle the UK granted my fiance the favor of an education there, that does NOT mean that his loyalties should lie there. And this especially does not mean that I have to read your sarcastic comments in MY thread.

This is not YOUR thread, this is a public forum.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.