44 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
It is absolutely a sign that there has been many misteps that you have been in this process since 2006. I went from filing I-129f to green card in under 10 months and never an RFE, never a question at any interview, not one. I know, I'm perfect, right? No. I'm lucky, right? No, not at all. I was prepared by studying and all the good folks here who clued me in because I asked. I imagine, maybe I am wrong, your questions are directed to people successful in this process.

The OP has a middle eastern bene, so the background check wait is normal.

Gary,

Your comments are generally valid, but you have blown right by USCIS responsibility for delays in processing. Many people have been delayed even though they had perfect documentation. Case in point:

I made application for K1 for my wife 2 days after Imbra became effective (early 2006). IMBRA was not widely published, was not referenced on the USCIS website, and forms for complicance with it were not available until 4 months after it was required. About 40,000 people got caught up in that boondoggle. As a result of USCIS incompetency in implementation of that little law, application to issuance took us 16 months. Lucky I was working in China during most of that time, but think of the taxes I paid because of the delay. If we had been married in 2006, instead of 2007, I could have saved enuf federal taxes to pay for the whole shebang...

Then there was the "green card with wrong country of origin" issue. We sent that one back 8 months ago, and have been asking for senatorial intervention for 2 months...

USCIS ain't perfect, and you were just plain lucky.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
It is absolutely a sign that there has been many misteps that you have been in this process since 2006. I went from filing I-129f to green card in under 10 months and never an RFE, never a question at any interview, not one. I know, I'm perfect, right? No. I'm lucky, right? No, not at all. I was prepared by studying and all the good folks here who clued me in because I asked. I imagine, maybe I am wrong, your questions are directed to people successful in this process.

The OP has a middle eastern bene, so the background check wait is normal.

Gary,

Your comments are generally valid, but you have blown right by USCIS responsibility for delays in processing. Many people have been delayed even though they had perfect documentation. Case in point:

I made application for K1 for my wife 2 days after Imbra became effective (early 2006). IMBRA was not widely published, was not referenced on the USCIS website, and forms for complicance with it were not available until 4 months after it was required. About 40,000 people got caught up in that boondoggle. As a result of USCIS incompetency in implementation of that little law, application to issuance took us 16 months. Lucky I was working in China during most of that time, but think of the taxes I paid because of the delay. If we had been married in 2006, instead of 2007, I could have saved enuf federal taxes to pay for the whole shebang...

Then there was the "green card with wrong country of origin" issue. We sent that one back 8 months ago, and have been asking for senatorial intervention for 2 months...

USCIS ain't perfect, and you were just plain lucky.

You know what Justashooter, Now that you mention it, if my memory serves me correctly, Nagi's case was held up for several months at both NVC and at Cairo for AP. So the fact that her visa journey has taken a little longer than others was at several times really out of her control. Sure as I stated earlier, I am sure she wished that she could have been privy to information that she only recently discovered, but such is life. She is a kind-hearted person and I only wish her the best.

drinkblink14.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah Nagi, I am so sorry. It is surprising that they scheduled an interview before the background checks are complete, but I'm hoping that it is completed very soon and you get the good news that you want. It has been a long road for you but hopefully it is nearing its end and you will soon be able to look back on all of this as a bad dream that has a happy ending.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

justashooter, yep we were held up for 9 months back in 06 with the Imbra nightmare. 16 months??? Wow, you were brave! JODO is correct, our second filing back in Feb of 07 lead us to a 40 something day hold up at NVC ( more checks ), then after my husband's first interview we were put on a 6 month AP. 0nce he was issued his visa, he could not come here right away due to his health so we had to wait another 5 months until he could actually use the visa.

Krikit and Kathryn, thank you !

JODO,I have to add that my husband told me this is a blessing for us and that I would worry over a spoon if given the chance...there's more, but I will tell ya when we speak.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Nagishkaw, I was also told during my AOS interview that my background check wasn't done. Took a little over 6 weeks until after the interview to get it finished. Our interviewing officer said they (the district office) check back with the FBI on pending cases once a week to make sure nobody slips through the cracks.

Hang in there, and try not to worry too much! Hope it will be done soon!

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Gary, ... you were just plain lucky.
This is obvious, and the poster's own experiences appear to overinfluence some of his posts. Although none of us is 100% immune to this phenomenon, a little more circumspection could be applied in certain instances by this poster.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Sorry to hear the backgound check delay. Hope everthing get resolved soon! Wish you luck! :star:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Timeline

Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone who stopped by and posted. Im feeling better today about this situation, knowing things suck for a reason.

Mrs.J06...thanks so much for sharing this information with me.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

(L) Hang in there Nagi!

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

You too, PB ! ;)

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I honestly think the "background check" excuse is BS.

Why? First it's easy to blame somebody else (the FBI) on a delay that the USCIS themselves create.

Second, getting to the AOS interview stage, you have already been through so many background checks (K-1 visa anyone?) that this should be a formality.

Unless your husband has some 'history', this is unacceptable.

Nevertheless, with time, everything will be alright. One thing I sure learned through this process is patience :)

Good luck, Nagi. Hang in there... you had your interview, you're nearly at the end of your journey.

Our Timeline below - CA Service Center - Consulate: Rio de Janeiro - Local Office: San Jose, CA

October 5, 2006: We meet for the first time!

March 8, 2008: I-129F K1-Fiancee Visa Application mailed

October 27, 2008: K1 VISA RECEIVED !! (233 days - 7 MONTHS 19 DAYS)

January 17, 2009: Entry - POE: JFK w/EAD (315 days)

February 6, 2009: WEDDING! (335 days)

March 24, 2009: Sent AOS, EAD, AP package to Chicago Lock box (381 days - 1 YEAR 16 DAYS)

June 30, 2009: Interview in San Jose, CA (479 days) - NOT approved, Sworn statement required

AUGUST 14, 2009: GREEN CARD IN HAND (524 days - 1 YEAR 5 MONTHS 6 DAYS)

May 31, 2011: Sent I-751 Removal of Conditions package (1179 days - 3 YEARS 2 MONTHS 23 DAYS)

January 25, 2012: 10-Year Green Card Received (1418 days - 3 YEARS 10 MONTHS 17 DAYS)

Hi Nagish,

Sorry to hear about the delay, and i really feel awful that i couldnt reach you on that day as i planned, i took ill and was in the hospital till last night when i was allowed to go home.

I feel for you, but again what can we do? Nothing but to fix the cracks and hope for a quicker/faster and more successful outcome.

Truely, we make mistakes and learn daily, if only you knew then what you know now i'm sure you would have had it fixed.

But its not over until its over... i see that its been a long strainous journey from the beginning, but i also see that you have both seen it through... so all you need is a little more patience.

Wait and see if the rfe comes and then attend to it, im sure theres a lot of people here who can help and advice on that one.

Hopefully the background check wont take long, though i wonder why they ll schedule interview when its not complete yet.

Now, Nagish, you know what the problem is, concentrate on getting it fixed.

We are all here for you, even if we can not speed the process up, we can offer you encouragement while you wait.

Support and love, as this truely is a stressful journey. I never got an rfe or interview and got the green card approved within 5months, but those 5months were like 5yrs of hell just waiting, so my dear, i know how it feels.

Hang in there and be the person we all know you to be.

This is a genuine relationship, things might take time but you ll surely get there.

Meanwhile do you think there is any other reasons why the back ground check is taking forever?

Sometimes this whole thing sucks!

K-1 TIMELINE

I-129F Sent :2007-09-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-10

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-09-30

Visa Approved :2008-01-07

Consulate Received : 2008-01-14

Interview Date : 2008-06-02

Visa Received : 2008-06-12

US Entry : 2008-06-26

Marriage : 2008-08-02

Total days from filling 1-129F till Interview 270days

AOS TIMELINE

Sept 12, 2008- Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago (finally)

Sept 15, 2008- Delivered

Sept 18, 2008- Noas AOS/EAD/AP (yaay!!)

Oct 7th 2008- Case transferred to CSC

Oct 15, 2008- Biometric APPT (smooth and quick)

Oct 16, 2008- Case pending ......

Update....

EAD Card production ordered ........ 12/03/2008

Ap approved...approval notice sent 12/03/2008

Ap arrives in mail... dated ..............12/12/2008

EAD approval mail sent ..................12/11/2008

EAD arrives in mail ........................12/15/2008

AOS Touched .................................01/12/2009

AOS card production ordered...........02/27/2009

ROC TIMELINE 2011.

Jan 1st 2011 mailed in I751

Feb 15th 2011 Biometric appointment

May 24th 2011 Petition Approved

May 25th 2011 Card production ordered

May 31st 2011 Card recieved

Filed: Other Timeline

N -

You may recall that my husband spent 17 months in background check during the AOS phase. It really has nothing to do with having a middle eastern name. Anyone can get caught, and interviews are often held before the check is complete.

Research and preparation? Yes they are a must for this process. But anyone who thinks that research and preparation alone guarantees smooth sailing is poorly informed. The process is fraught with little areas and hitches where things can go wrong. Don't ever get so cocky about your knowledge that you think it alone can save you - or that it gives you the right to beat somebody else up for a mistake.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.