MapleLeafBaby

K1-INTERVIEW FILE PREPARATION

121 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Legal? no. Religious? nope. But does it have to be either of these to be a wedding?? Do I consider myself married? Not really. Will I consider myself married when I sign a piece of paper a courthouse? Probably not either. Do I expect to feel any different after signing that paper? Not at all. Will I still ask myself rhetorical questions? Possibly :P

:lol:

My opinion: Don't show the pictures. If it comes up in conversation then no, don't lie about it, but it might just bring unnecessary trouble. I heard a story a while back about a girl who was trying to get a fiance visa and accidentally referred to her fiance as husband during the interview and they denied her. This was a while back and I believe she was from the Philippines, but the point remains. If it seems to them like you might be married then its a huge red flag. They probably wouldn't deny you if you explained the situation, but do you really want to give them a reason to question you and think of you as suspicious? :no:

Yah I mean I know what you are saying. I just have to be honest with them and hope that prevails :innocent:

I found this on VJ:

4.11)...My alien fiancee has been issued a K-1 visa. Can we get married abroad and then come back together to the US with the K-1?

A...No. The alien must NOT be married when s/he enters the US on a K-1 visa. Also, if using the K-1, the couple must marry in the US within 90 days of the alien entering on the K-1.

(FAQ Note: Some couples arrange to have a non legal ceremony prior to the fiance(e) leaving their home country, in order to satisfy the wishes of family, or to have a celebration if the family is unable to travel to the US for a wedding.

back

4.12)...Does the government, for visa purposes, distinguish between religious and civil marriages?

A...The government distinguishes between legal and non legal marriages. If the marriage is legal in the country in which it is performed, the US will consider it a legal marriage. It doesn't matter if it is a civil or religious marriage.

It wasn't legal in Honduras, so it won't be legal here. I think that says it all. Not gonna lie though, I SURE am nervous about it!!! BUT, we didn't do anything wrong. We are still single for all intents and purposes.

Then, you're good to go!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Ok, i'm sure there have been other threads... I just wanted to run down my file with you guys, as I think i'm ready, but you guys can let me know what your thoughts are :)

I have all originals of the following plus a copy of:

Passport (me and my son)

Birth Certificates (both long and short)

Photos (US size I have 3 left over, son has 5...more than enough)

Police report (RCMP clearance, issued by York Region in Ontario)

Updated letter of intent from US fiance (he just resigned the old one, but he will also be at interview)

I-134 Affidavit of Support (notarized)

Petitioner tax filings for 2007 & 2008. He is trying to get IRS transcripts for 2006 and 2007, they may not have processed 2008 yet as he just filed

DS-160 (2 copies of app's and confirmation pages)

DS-156 (2 copies)

DS-156K (2 copies unsigned)

Medical sealed envelope

Divorce Decree (my previous marriage)

Separation Agreement (with my ex-husband, showing his agreement to allow us to reside in US and shows my full custody)

Copy of my lawyers file (from the original filing, NOA2 etc...plus copies of original proof sent in, phone bills, plane tickets etc..)

Additional proof includes:

Phone bills for every month since we met showing 30 calls a day lol! :)

Photos since we met (130 of them, not time stamped, but I have 4 different hair colours in them... one can only assume I did not dye my hair 4x in a week lol!)

A bunch of cards from flowers my fiance has sent me over the years from the same flower shop

A visit log, listing our plate #'s, and dates of all travels back and forth for the past two years.

I also have the Xray, need it or not i'll bring it, as well as our immunization records. My son and I are going for our next HepB shot (Twinrix) this week... he needs it so I just got it with him. I figure it will show good that he is following up with his scheduled shot, as he only had the first one at the medical.

I am also going to get the Xpresspost envelope this week, and the $262.00 US that we will need.

SO???? :star:

Am I forgetting anything? Do I have enough proof?

My fiance will attend interview with me. My only stress right now is hoping the IRS transcripts come in time. I'm sure they understand if 2008 may not be processed yet? But he does have a copy of his filing.

Any input is appreciated :)

I'm so nervous! I feel like my whole future depends on this day! My apartment is packed up and after June 1st I have nowhere to go! lol!

Wish me luck next Friday :innocent:

Thanks guys! :star::star::star:

Was just going through things to print and copy, and I saw this on the top of the Confirmation page of the online form...

YOU MUST BRING this confirmation page and the following document(s) with you at all steps during the application process:

Passport; evidence of approved I-129F

So, don't forget your sheet that says you've been approved for the I-129F!!!!! :)

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline
Ok, i'm sure there have been other threads... I just wanted to run down my file with you guys, as I think i'm ready, but you guys can let me know what your thoughts are :)

Passport (me and my son)

Updated letter of intent from US fiance (he just resigned the old one, but he will also be at interview)

Petitioner tax filings for 2007 & 2008. He is trying to get IRS transcripts for 2006 and 2007, they may not have processed 2008 yet as he just filed

DS-156 (2 copies)

Medical sealed envelope

Separation Agreement (with my ex-husband, showing his agreement to allow us to reside in US and shows my full custody)

Copy of my lawyers file (from the original filing, NOA2 etc...plus copies of original proof sent in, phone bills, plane tickets etc..)

Photos since we met (130 of them, not time stamped, but I have 4 different hair colours in them... one can only assume I did not dye my hair 4x in a week lol!)

A bunch of cards from flowers my fiance has sent me over the years from the same flower shop

A visit log, listing our plate #'s, and dates of all travels back and forth for the past two years.

I also have the Xray, need it or not i'll bring it, as well as our immunization records. My son and I are going for our next HepB shot (Twinrix) this week... he needs it so I just got it with him. I figure it will show good that he is following up with his scheduled shot, as he only had the first one at the medical.

I am also going to get the Xpresspost envelope this week, and the $262.00 US that we will need.

My fiance will attend interview with me. My only stress right now is hoping the IRS transcripts come in time. I'm sure they understand if 2008 may not be processed yet? But he does have a copy of his filing.

I'm so nervous! I feel like my whole future depends on this day! My apartment is packed up and after June 1st I have nowhere to go! lol!

Was just going through things to print and copy, and I saw this on the top of the Confirmation page of the online form...

YOU MUST BRING this confirmation page and the following document(s) with you at all steps during the application process:

So, don't forget your sheet that says you've been approved for the I-129F!!!!! :)

aRRG. Of course, when I visited my fiance last month he asked me if I needed to bring back the originals with me, and I said no. So, all I have are copies.

Question: wouldn't evidence of an approved K1 be P3 and P4 and an interview date?? "Evidence" is a little vague. I am clearly just saying that to avoid asking him to overnight be the papers and spend another $30 ;) Ugh.

Thanks for the heads-up though :)

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Timeline

Passport (me and my son)

DS-156 (2 copies)

Medical sealed envelope

aRRG. Of course, when I visited my fiance last month he asked me if I needed to bring back the originals with me, and I said no. So, all I have are copies.

Question: wouldn't evidence of an approved K1 be P3 and P4 and an interview date?? "Evidence" is a little vague. I am clearly just saying that to avoid asking him to overnight be the papers and spend another $30 ;) Ugh.

Thanks for the heads-up though :)

Hmmm...well... there is an "official" certificate looking thingy (The Approval for I-129F). It actually states how long the approval is good for. This has a green tint to the "certificate.

EXAMPLE

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline

^ YUP that looks like the official NOA2!!!!

Now I have all today to debate if I ask him to send it.

Man, this thing sure is getting pricey.

Has anyone else who had an interview in Montreal had to show them this?

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope, they didn't ask me for the NOA2.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember reading on the Vancouver consulate page that they just need a copy of the NOA2 and not the original. Which thats means he could just scan and e-mail to you? I'm not 100% certain though...I'll go look :)

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Timeline

Hmmm... the statement about the NOA2 was printed on the top of the online form confirmation page. Again, may not need it, but we're gonna bring it. Oh, and copies of it, too. Our luck would be that we'll get someone who wants a copy of it or will want to see the original - yep... that would be my luck. :unsure:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

They didn't ask me for it at all. Save your money!

Also - I wouldn't show any pictures of your non-legal wedding. That would just open up a can of worms if you ask me. They might ask to see proof that it wasn't legal and that would be difficult. They probably won't even ask for any evidence... but that's just my advice.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Okay, I lied lol I saw it in the guides for K1 in the post NOA2 section.

Timeline

OKay, obviously everyone's list is basically the same (LOL) but I've got the list of stuff we're taking put together, finally. Is there anything I might be forgetting?

Here's what we've got in our Binder O' Fun!

INTERVIEW LIST

(all of these will be in duplicate)

 Interview Letter

 Passport

 Birth Certificate

 Photos

 Police report (RCMP clearance)

 Updated letter of intent from US fiancé

 I-134 Affidavit of Support

 Employment Letters

 DS-156

 DS-156K (unsigned)

 DS-160

 DS-230

 Tax Transcripts

 Copy of 2008 taxes (I'm including this b/c 2008 was a weird tax year for me... AGI went down compared to other years although salary went up.)

 2008 W2s

 Medical sealed envelope & X-ray

 Copy of my lawyers file (from the original filing, NOA2 etc. plus copies of original proof sent in, phone bills, plane tickets etc..)

 Phone bills since 08/2008

 Photos since we met (reprint of I-129F and new ones)

 Cards, etc. for engagement, wedding receipts, etc.

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

If you are going through the Vancouver Embassy, don't forget the two stamped copies of the deposit slip for the $131.00 US fee that you have to pre-deposit into their bank account at Scotiabank. :)

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Timeline
If you are going through the Vancouver Embassy, don't forget the two stamped copies of the deposit slip for the $131.00 US fee that you have to pre-deposit into their bank account at Scotiabank. :)

We're going through Montreal... but thanks for the reminder! I did tell him I'd stop at an ATM and get the US $131 cash for him. Haven't done that yet. Maybe today on my way out for Easter dinner. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Already have the bank slips printed and my US funds bank account is ready to roll lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.