MapleLeafBaby

K1-INTERVIEW FILE PREPARATION

121 posts in this topic

Carrie, I just noticed you are moving the end if April...lucky girl! I wish...we are aiming for last week in May...trying to keep my son in school as long as possible ...

I also noticed that all your memorable days have been so International :) that's great! I've always been the wordly traveller, my fiancé the more conservative one...here's to hoping I can shake that up and continue exploring the world!

We originally wanted to marry in the Greek islands...guess that will have to wait as next years vaca :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Ha! I am moving AS SOON AS I GET MY VISA! I'm SO over this LD stuff :P I am hoping to move the weekend of the 25th. Crossing my fingers I will get my visa in the week following the interview!!! Otherwise, the week after. GRRR. Funny how ONE more week is tooo much for me. LOL but these last few weeks have felt as slow as molasses!!

Yeah, both of us are pretty well traveled. There is NOTHING like traveling. This has been the first time in the last 5 years I have not been planning a trip :( Well, besides my move! haha I guess that counts ;) We were kind of looking into living overseas, but in this economy, better to keep the job you have! :P

Ohhh the Greek Isles!! Oooohhh that would be gorgeous!! Always wanted to go Greece. Someday :D

And I have NO doubt you can shake up your fiance! Once he gets a taste of it, he will be the one planning your next adventures!!

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

I was confused when I saw that too. The P3 & P4 letters are pretty clear and easy to follow. There is no mention of any further 230 requirements, so I'm trusting what I already have :)

I'm sure if there was something further required in regards to the 230, it would have made mention.

N-400 Citizenship

Question:

I read somewhere that it won't look good if you already had your ceremony because then you have to proof somehow that it wasn't legal.

Clearly I am not going to lie, but should I include photos of our wedding as proof of relationship??? Or is that opening a bag of worms??

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

AoS:

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Question:

I read somewhere that it won't look good if you already had your ceremony because then you have to proof somehow that it wasn't legal.

Clearly I am not going to lie, but should I include photos of our wedding as proof of relationship??? Or is that opening a bag of worms??

That's not just a bag of snakes, that a HUGE bag of rattlesnakes!!! You had a wedding (albeit non-legal from what your timeline says) in Honduras... that might not look so good. Since you're applying for a K1 = FIANCE' Visa. I'd leave that part out. Technically, you can't apply for a Fiance Visa if you're already married. Yeah. Leave it out. Way out. Leave the info, etc. at home... for your own sake.

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

My God I haven't been on in a couple days and look at everything I've missed! Tomorrow I am going to check all my paperwork make sure I have everything. Then by suppertime I am starting my drive to Montreal. Going halfway, staying the night and then heading the rest of the way on Sunday. I have my medical on Monday, then my interview on Friday. Thanks everyone for all the info. Now I can check and make sure I'm good to go. Good luck to everyone having interviews this week. And for those having interviews on Friday I'll see ya there!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My God I haven't been on in a couple days and look at everything I've missed! Tomorrow I am going to check all my paperwork make sure I have everything. Then by suppertime I am starting my drive to Montreal. Going halfway, staying the night and then heading the rest of the way on Sunday. I have my medical on Monday, then my interview on Friday. Thanks everyone for all the info. Now I can check and make sure I'm good to go. Good luck to everyone having interviews this week. And for those having interviews on Friday I'll see ya there!

GOOD LUCK!! Safe travels

Question:

I mean since it wasn't a legal wedding, then you're not married, so you can have all the ceremonies you want but until it's legal, you're not married, if you know what I mean LOL

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Yah, I mean here is the thing. What is a wedding? For us, it was a way to have our families come together at a time that was convenient for both parties and for us to make a commitment to each other in front of everyone. And for me to wear a wedding gown :P

Legal? no. Religious? nope. But does it have to be either of these to be a wedding?? Do I consider myself married? Not really. Will I consider myself married when I sign a piece of paper a courthouse? Probably not either. Do I expect to feel any different after signing that paper? Not at all. Will I still ask myself rhetorical questions? Possibly :P

Yeah but I won't flaunt it. I will NOT lie about it. I will have to think about the photos. I don't want to make it seem like I was hiding something on why i didn't do it.

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

AoS:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Legal? no. Religious? nope. But does it have to be either of these to be a wedding?? Do I consider myself married? Not really. Will I consider myself married when I sign a piece of paper a courthouse? Probably not either. Do I expect to feel any different after signing that paper? Not at all. Will I still ask myself rhetorical questions? Possibly :P

:lol:

My opinion: Don't show the pictures. If it comes up in conversation then no, don't lie about it, but it might just bring unnecessary trouble. I heard a story a while back about a girl who was trying to get a fiance visa and accidentally referred to her fiance as husband during the interview and they denied her. This was a while back and I believe she was from the Philippines, but the point remains. If it seems to them like you might be married then its a huge red flag. They probably wouldn't deny you if you explained the situation, but do you really want to give them a reason to question you and think of you as suspicious? :no:

Have a safe drive! And good luck at medical! :)

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Take care on your drive! Be safe... perhaps our paths will cross in Montreal! :) lol

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

:lol:

My opinion: Don't show the pictures. If it comes up in conversation then no, don't lie about it, but it might just bring unnecessary trouble. I heard a story a while back about a girl who was trying to get a fiance visa and accidentally referred to her fiance as husband during the interview and they denied her. This was a while back and I believe she was from the Philippines, but the point remains. If it seems to them like you might be married then its a huge red flag. They probably wouldn't deny you if you explained the situation, but do you really want to give them a reason to question you and think of you as suspicious? :no:

Yah I mean I know what you are saying. I just have to be honest with them and hope that prevails :innocent:

I found this on VJ:

4.11)...My alien fiancee has been issued a K-1 visa. Can we get married abroad and then come back together to the US with the K-1?

A...No. The alien must NOT be married when s/he enters the US on a K-1 visa. Also, if using the K-1, the couple must marry in the US within 90 days of the alien entering on the K-1.

(FAQ Note: Some couples arrange to have a non legal ceremony prior to the fiance(e) leaving their home country, in order to satisfy the wishes of family, or to have a celebration if the family is unable to travel to the US for a wedding.

back

4.12)...Does the government, for visa purposes, distinguish between religious and civil marriages?

A...The government distinguishes between legal and non legal marriages. If the marriage is legal in the country in which it is performed, the US will consider it a legal marriage. It doesn't matter if it is a civil or religious marriage.

It wasn't legal in Honduras, so it won't be legal here. I think that says it all. Not gonna lie though, I SURE am nervous about it!!! BUT, we didn't do anything wrong. We are still single for all intents and purposes.

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

AoS:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
i read somewhere somebody said that DS230 part II is needed.. where is the DS230 part II? im sure its not included in the packet 3 or interview letter right?im confused.

I didn't bring the DS230 part II to my interview last week, and no one asked for it. Same goes for the X-ray.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Question:

That's not just a bag of snakes, that a HUGE bag of rattlesnakes!!! You had a wedding (albeit non-legal from what your timeline says) in Honduras... that might not look so good. Since you're applying for a K1 = FIANCE' Visa. I'd leave that part out. Technically, you can't apply for a Fiance Visa if you're already married. Yeah. Leave it out. Way out. Leave the info, etc. at home... for your own sake.

:thumbs:

Totally agree with JulyBride. From what I've read here and from my experience, it's really doubtful they'll ask you for more relationship evidence anyway. Don't lie, but probably best not to give them any reason to question you about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.