missmissy

BOOK CLUB - A Thousand Splendid Suns!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

Okay - here is our new home for the book club - A Thousand Splendid Suns is our first official choice. I'm off to Barnes and Noble to get my copy today!

Link to voting HERE

Edited by missmissy

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Okay - here is our new home for the book club - A Thousand Splendid Suns is our first official choice. I'm off to Barnes and Noble to get my copy today!

Link to voting HERE

wooooooo!! Okay, I'll order my copy on Amazon today. Are we going to have some sort of schedule for reading. Like under next week people can only discuss up to a certain point or something? Or what? Are we all going to read it at our own pace and then post according to when we have comments?

Obviously it's going to take me about 2 weeks to get the copy of the book (ordering it today, my parents will have it by the end of the week and then 10 days to get here to me). I don't mind if you guys go ahead and read it and I catch up when I get mine...but I'm just curious to how we are going to do this?

And for those in the US even, are we going to give everyone like 5 days to get the book or what?

I've never done this before if you can't tell! :)

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Timeline

Link to voting HERE

wooooooo!! Okay, I'll order my copy on Amazon today. Are we going to have some sort of schedule for reading. Like under next week people can only discuss up to a certain point or something? Or what? Are we all going to read it at our own pace and then post according to when we have comments?

Obviously it's going to take me about 2 weeks to get the copy of the book (ordering it today, my parents will have it by the end of the week and then 10 days to get here to me). I don't mind if you guys go ahead and read it and I catch up when I get mine...but I'm just curious to how we are going to do this?

And for those in the US even, are we going to give everyone like 5 days to get the book or what?

I've never done this before if you can't tell! :)

I would like to give everyone at least 10 days to get a copy of the book....even if I got mine today, I have a lot coming up this week with work and going home to visit my folks for Easter.

As for a schedule - I have some discussion topics that we can either discuss as we go or wait until we are all finished. I need to resist the urge I have to make it too full of rules and stuff.....I do love some rules though......I think we need it more relaxed and fun.

I really want everyone's input here, so let's hear from ya'll!

Timeline

Wow!

So I think that I am the only one out there that is in Brazil at the moment (and has so far posted to join the book club) but I did some searching around online to see if I could find the book here in Brazil. And I have found a Brazilian site that is specifically designed to offer books in English to people living in Brazil! yay! So, instead of buying it used on Amazon for $4 and then getting it shipped to my parents for $4 and then having my parents ship it to me for $12 (I tried to get amazon to ship it to be direct, but they said no :(), costing a total of $20-ish, I have found it on the site here for R$30 (or about $12). So, for those in other countries...don't give up!

Unfortunately, I can't register on the site until my fiance gets home because I don't have a CPF (the Brazilian equivalent of the Social Security Number). But I'll order it from there tonight and I should have it within a week!

Good news for the book club! :) But I agree with the above posters. I think that some rules are good but maybe not too many. Maybe we should make a set amount that we are supposed to read and then say that if you read beyond that, you can only post using spoilers until the rest of the book club gets there. I don't know! Everyone reads at different paces, myself usually quite quickly.

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Timeline

BUMP!!

What's going on peoples??

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Timeline
BUMP!!

Work!! Got my book but will not start reading until everyone else (or you) get's theirs

Timeline
BUMP!!

Work!! Got my book but will not start reading until everyone else (or you) get's theirs

I ordered mine last night and it should be about 5 days until I get it! I just didn't want the thread to die. I couldn't even find it after searching through like 5 pages so I had to search for 'book club' in the bottom to find it!! Who else is going to read with us? Are we the only two now? :(

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Got my copy from the public library yesterday and I've started already... :devil:

And I just finished Life of Pi, which was excellent... :thumbs:

*chomping at the bit*

:star:

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I read the whole thing already. I could not put it down.

Can't wait for discussions to begin...

:blush:

Maya the Insomniac

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I own and have read the book so am all set. =)

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY