thetreble

Afraid of the Po-po!

59 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes a ghost car is just an unmarked police car. Many are Ford Crown Victory's!! See soem Dodge chargers, few GM models, and I have even seen a dodge mini van!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was thinking that they were just unmarked cars, but then I remembered that in a lot of southern states, they put these decoy cars with dummies in them on highways. They tuck them behind some trees and stick the nose of the car out just so you can see it, but also so you don't have enough time to actually look at the car and see that it's a dummy in the car and not a live officer. They were proven to be quite effective, and very cost effective.

Filed: Timeline
a dodge mini-van would definitely throw me....they seem to always be American cars, usually in blue or white.

In Hawaii some police officers use their private vehicle as the police car. No way to know the make and models of the unmarked police cars. They tend to be SUV's but you never know.

In Hawaii the police tend to be friendly and they are not necessarily out to get anyone. However my best advice is to avoid the police since either your in trouble or you need some serious help.

Now the police in Moscow -- they ARE out to get you!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned West Virginia... Its brutal there. There's a city... I want to say its called like sommersville or something like that, and wow. Cops line the streets waiting for you to go over the speed limit by 2 miles an hour and get you. The one time Bill and I were driving through and I must have seen 6 cop cars with pulled over vehicles in the span of 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't think I know how to drive the speed limit. I don't know about other parts of Canada, but around here the police presence is definitely lacking... The only time you see police patrolling streets is during the end of the month (... i've heard a couple theories on that one) So if its anywhere from the 1st to the 20th seeing a cop is actually quite rare. Its funny going down the highway here, all the American's hang out in the slow lane :lol:

No FSB here! :P

Timeline

West Virginia, thats hillbilly country!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I loved the SLED (state police in south carolina). When I was in university, they were like the Fun Police. At least once a month, they would come into one of the big bars and block off all the exits and announce that you havd to have your ID out and present it to one of the officers at the exits in order to go home. It was always fun for me because I had a California driver's license, and I was one of the only students from California there. So, half the time, they thought it was a fake ID. The one time that really stuck out in my mind was when I had just bought a beer when they closed it. So, I tried to hide the beer as I walked out. They didnt' hastle me on my license, and I got about 10 feet out of the bar and decided to take a victory chug from my hidden beer. Well, I didn't even get the bottle to my lips when an officer grabbed my wrist and took the beer. He said "OK wise a$$, do you have an extra $80?". I was completely drunk at that point and didn't notice the hint of sarcasm in his voice. I got my wallet out and counted my money. "I've got $105 officer". He made me throw it out :cry:

Timeline

The cops in North Bay were asses. I couldn't even walk home most of the time because they would stop me and make do all the sobriety tests. They were jerks. I watched one beat up my friend on halloween night, and when we tried to issue a complaint and go up against them it was like hitting a brick wall. No one wanted to represent us, and they twisted our stories up so much.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

When I was younger, I wasn't so much afraid of the cops as I was ignorant of my rights. Now, I know that if I get hastled with no justification or cause, I can bring them up on it. I know the procedures and process'. I've never witnessed police brutality or anything like that, but I have seen people get pulled over because they "fit the desctription".

Well Sprailenes....Cochrane seems to be the "training" spot for those asses...... :rofl: At one time, there was never an issue to walk home after being out at the bars. In the last 5 years, they don't even want you walking home. The girls and I were going to "challenge" that but didn't think it would go over to well to have the following in the local newspaper - "Municipal Staff arrested for walking home inebriated!"

Here in Palatine, our "ghost cars" are usually black dodge chargers. I've had no issues with the police here. The one accident we had, the officers were good and explained things clearly. Yes there are lots of them out watching for speeders but I just think "There's another idiot who was in a big rush to get nowhere."

Edited by BH45

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

Yea I always find it funny when someone speeds past me on the highway and then I see them pulled over ahead. :lol:

That's what they get for being an idiot.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Timeline
One of my strange paranoias is that I may one day be tasered while I'm out and about, minding my own business....

You need to be waiting on a visa or something to occupy your mind. :lol:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned West Virginia... Its brutal there. There's a city... I want to say its called like sommersville or something like that, and wow. Cops line the streets waiting for you to go over the speed limit by 2 miles an hour and get you. The one time Bill and I were driving through and I must have seen 6 cop cars with pulled over vehicles in the span of 10 minutes.

Yes, Summersville! I warned SuzukiWookie about it on his drive down here. :lol:

Yea I always find it funny when someone speeds past me on the highway and then I see them pulled over ahead. :lol:

That's what they get for being an idiot.

If they've been really aggressive and driving dangerously I always have to fight the urge to honk my horn and give the cop the thumbs up whenever that happens. :lol:

iagree.gif

They are out to get you, not to help you out. You really can't get away with anything, even if it's completely mindless.

I got stopped a couple months back for pulling out of a parking lot after eating and forgetting to put my lights on. Again, I got a ticket. He literally got me less then half a mile out of the parking lot. I forgot and didn't even have a chance to notice.

Whereabouts did you live in NJ? I used to live next to Newark so....the cops there aren't exactly the nicest because they don't have the nicest job.

I lived in S. Jersey for the first portion of my life, N. Central for the second portion -- where I was chased by cops, stopped and then picked on for going to see my "older" boyfriend, but never ticketed...

Oh. So how many life portions do I have? Good question.

I feel I'm in the 3rd portion these last few years.

And... Sigh... I will admit, I got a DUI in... NJ (Mahwah), not quite 3 years ago. The cops were fabulous. I was clearly in the wrong. They were kind, sympathetic, it was a few days before my birthday and the cop who drove me to impound to get my car told me he wasn't trying to be a smart-####, but he wished me a happy birthday, suggested I get a lawyer and told me not to worry. It isn't as bad as it seems. He was right. In NJ it is a moving violation. (Makes me inadmissable to Canada, however, thus the reason he moved here and not the other way around.) These guys were really nice.

I live in NY now. I fear no cop. Of course I don't want another ticket or any trouble, but they're just doing their job. And their job sometimes involves laying in wait for someone who is violating the law. I mean, wouldn't you if you were a cop? It is a game. So just play the game and if you get caught, eat the ticket. Or, don't speed.

Plus, I think NJ State Policemen look *great* in their uniforms. Very handsome! Much better than the Smokey the Bear hats the NY guys wear.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Timeline
I'm more afraid of the poo-poo. Twin 16 month old niece and nephew will do that to you though.

I was more afraid of the Bicycle Police in Montreal. Some of them were wearing neon-orange camoflauge pants. :rofl:

LOL the Montreal Police have been wearing funky clothes for awhile now, on purpose. They are without a contract and are doing odd things like wearing street clothes to work, and are purposely letting drivers away without tickets so the police dept doesn't collect the $$. They are doing this to try and pressure the city to give them a new contract. But it is funny to see the cops wearing pajama pants and the like

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

The cops in Hawaii are the friendliest I've ever met. . . . . . . minus the ones off duty in Edmonton in my younger days. :whistle:

I don't know if all States are like this, but here almost 80% of the patrol cars are unmarked, and the officer can choose (and buy partially subsidized) any vehicle they want for patrols. There are so many Mustang GT cop cars cruising around. I honestly don't know how they'd fit anyone in the back seat if they had to make an arrest. I guess they'd call for back-up.

The cops in Alaska were tough looking, but really nice as well. I've never been pulled over for speeding in the US yet, so my opinion may change with the first ticket I'm issued.

Edited by MrsCat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.