forever_green

My Interview Experience

16 posts in this topic

This is a bit lengthy for the benefit of those who requested me to share my actual experience. I highlighted my tips for those who have not much time to read.

I arrived at the US embassy grounds around 5:50AM. My interview was scheduled at 7AM. The embassy guard prioritized those who were scheduled at 6:30AM and they were the ones who were allowed to enter first.

Only a few minutes later, those of us who were scheduled at 7AM were allowed to come in after the guard inspected our interview appointment letter and ID.

Tips: Arrive at the USEM only one hour before your interview schedule.

Bring your original interview appointment letter from NVC even if you had your schedule changed to another date. They looked at the print out of the e-mail notice sent to me regarding my new schedule which was earlier than the original date, but they did not take it. They only took the original letter and instructed me to keep the e-mail I’d be asked.

We waited a few minutes outside while seated on the long wooden benches (and moving along on our seats forward as others ahead of us were allowed to get through) until we were able to Gate 2. At that time, we showed again to another guard our appointment letters and IDs. Upon entry to Gate 2, all our things went through the x-ray machine for screening and while the interviewees get checked by the guards.

We were lead to the Immigrant Visa Room after which and were told to seat on the blue chairs. The K visa applicants were asked by the lady checker to prepare their DS forms. The CR 1 visa applicants like me, were not asked to do any.

Shortly after, we were told to go to a corner in the left portion of the room near the restroom. There, we showed our appointment letters again and we were given our queuing number. The time on my sheet was 6:48AM.

We went back to seat on the blue chairs. About two minutes after, my NAME (not my number) was called to come to Window 33. This is where I had my fingers scanned (others were called to Window 16). Those who lined up at Window 33 ahead of me were grandmas and grandpas already. They had a hard time following instructions that somebody from the inside of Window 33 office had to go out and coach them on what to do. I didn’t realize how long it took me to finish the simple process until I get back to my seat with the younger ladies who were my seatmates. I was called a lot earlier for finger scanning but they were finished ahead of me. As soon as I sat with them, their numbers started showing on the queuing board which meant they were being called for the pre-screening interview already.

I asked the lady usher how I would know if I had been called already and she said there was no way. I just had to look at the queuing board at ALL times.

Chances were my number had been flashed already but I was still at the finger scanning section when it was. I asked the American lady who was at the Window 33 (she came out to look around if everything is okay) if only those who were done with finger scanning would be called in for the pre-screening interview. She went inside to ask and went back to me. She was so nice. She told me, “I am sorry, but they told me that there would be no way of knowing if you got called already. But, even if your number was flashed already, they only advise you to just wait for your number to be flashed again but that would take a long time. (Of course, there was a way. I just know that they do not encourage that, no matter what the reason may be). Anyway, I had no choice but to wait for my number on the queuing board. The ladies who were my original seatmates got their visas already but I was still not yet called for the pre screening.

TIP: Once you get into the Immigrant Visa Room where the blue chairs are, keep your eyes on the queuing board AT ALL TIMES.

I got called for pre screening around 9:40AM.

The Filipino interviewer was a young man who looked cool. He was laughing at me when I first saw him because I was supposed to come to his window but he saw me waiting on line on the next window next to him instead. It was kind of confusing because the two windows were perpendicular to each other.

His questions:

Your name, Ma’am?

How did you meet your husband?

How did your husband get into the US?

What is your present occupation? (For which he replied, Oh, wow! He was really cool to tell me that, huh. I felt like I was just talking to an acquaintance.)

He read also the other places where I worked and verified that I did work in these places.

Finally, he said, “Ma’am, do you have pictures of your wedding?” At that point, I took out all the chat logs, e-mails, pictures, and the numerous other evidences I brought with me.” He laughed and told me. “Naku, hindi ko kaya yan.” I tried to ignore him and insisted on inserting each folder one by one through the window slit. He laughed even more and told me, “Ma’am, yung wedding pictures na lang kasi ang dami nyan, sobra yan.” I laughed, too, and told him, “Kasi sayang naman, ang dami kong ginastos dyan pati time and effort.” He said, “Oo nga Ma’am, araw araw yan ang kino complain sa akin ng mga iniinterview ko. Ako kasi isa lang talaga ang hinihingi ko. Ganito na lang, Ma’am, take note ko na lang dito na may iba ka pang pictures na available. Ilabas mo na lang mamaya pag hiningi pa sa ‘yo.”

He then took note of all the answers to his questions and told me to wait again for my number to be flashed on the queuing board for the final interview.

After around 7 minutes, my number was flashed again and I went to sit on the chair in front of the room where I had my final interview. While waiting for the lady ahead of me to finish her interview, I heard how the other Filipino screeners interviewed the other applicants. They were strict and very detailed the exact opposite of the young handsome man who interviewed me. Thank God I was not assigned to them.

Then, it was my turn to enter the room for my interview. It went like this:

Consul: You are Mrs. Xxxxx?

I: At this point , I got confused because I was still using my maiden name. I wanted to correct him but anyway, I said, “Yes, Mrs. Xxxxx.”

The consul asked me then to raise my right hand and swear that I will only tell him the truth.

Consul: How did you meet your husband?

I: Reply…

Consul: How many times did your husband see you here in the Philippines before you got married?

I: You mean, he coming over to the Philippines to visit me?

Consul: Yes.

I: Once only.

Consul: When?

Consul: And when did you get married?

Consul: You told me your husband visited you only once here in the Philippines and that was early last year. You got married late last year. How could you get married without seeing him?

At this point, the consul looked really suspicious, and like someone who has uncovered a hidden treasure.

I: Oh, because I was the one who come and visit him at the USA. I’ve been to the US thrice already.

Consul: Oh, okay, (seemingly apologetic) that is very rare. Well, it does happen, but, that is very rare. Most of the time, the one from the US is the one who comes to the Philippines to visit.

I: Yes, I know.

Consul: So, when was the last time you travelled to the US?

Consul: When was the longest time you stayed in the US and for how long?

I: The last time I went there, I stayed for around 2 months. I cannot remember the exact dates but it is there in my passport.

Consul: Do you have your US visa with you?

I: It is there in my passport, Sir.

Consul: Oh, all right. (He examined my passport.) What other countries have you been to?

I: Japan.

Consul: (He examined my passport again and searched something on his computer.) Do you have any urgent impending travel for the next few weeks or so?

I: None, sir.

Consul: Okay, because I have to cancel your tourist visa to the USA. You are no longer qualified to enter the US through a B1/B2 visa. (He then showed me that he placed a very big stamp on my current tourist visa.)

I: Okay. (At the back of my mind, “Oh, no! What if he does not give me my immigrant visa? I won’t be able to visit my husband.”)

Consul: How did your husband get his US citizenship? (He looked at our wedding pictures.)

Consul: Do the two of you have kids?

Consul: Does he have a family?

I: You mean if he has kids?

Consul: Yes, I mean, if he has kids.

I: Yes, two.

Consul: Do you have your own kids?

I: None. I have no kids.

Consul: Okay, we’re done. (He then paused and seemed to remember something.)

Consul: Was there any other country where you lived for more than a year?

I: None, Sir.

Consul: (Nodded.) Okay, Ma’am, we’re done. Your visa is approved. (He stood up.) Congratulations and welcome to the United States of America.

I: Thank you, Sir.I left the room gliding like I was stepping on cloud 9. The lady usher instructed me to go back to my seat and wait for MY NAME to be called to the Releasing Unit. It only took less than 10 minutes before I got called.

The man on the window returned to me my wedding photos and gave me a piece of paper to fill up. I brought it to Air 21 booth and showed it to the lady. I paid P205 and went home eagerly to get my hands again on my cell phone. I sent my husband a text message that I was in my sister’s house already (Her place is near the embassy.) I did not tell him the result until after he pleaded , hahaha.

Hey!!! Thank you for this one.. Very detailed.. :star:

This is a bit lengthy for the benefit of those who requested me to share my actual experience. I highlighted my tips for those who have not much time to read.

I arrived at the US embassy grounds around 5:50AM. My interview was scheduled at 7AM. The embassy guard prioritized those who were scheduled at 6:30AM and they were the ones who were allowed to enter first.

Only a few minutes later, those of us who were scheduled at 7AM were allowed to come in after the guard inspected our interview appointment letter and ID.

Tips: Arrive at the USEM only one hour before your interview schedule.

Bring your original interview appointment letter from NVC even if you had your schedule changed to another date. They looked at the print out of the e-mail notice sent to me regarding my new schedule which was earlier than the original date, but they did not take it. They only took the original letter and instructed me to keep the e-mail I'd be asked.

We waited a few minutes outside while seated on the long wooden benches (and moving along on our seats forward as others ahead of us were allowed to get through) until we were able to Gate 2. At that time, we showed again to another guard our appointment letters and IDs. Upon entry to Gate 2, all our things went through the x-ray machine for screening and while the interviewees get checked by the guards.

We were lead to the Immigrant Visa Room after which and were told to seat on the blue chairs. The K visa applicants were asked by the lady checker to prepare their DS forms. The CR 1 visa applicants like me, were not asked to do any.

Shortly after, we were told to go to a corner in the left portion of the room near the restroom. There, we showed our appointment letters again and we were given our queuing number. The time on my sheet was 6:48AM.

We went back to seat on the blue chairs. About two minutes after, my NAME (not my number) was called to come to Window 33. This is where I had my fingers scanned (others were called to Window 16). Those who lined up at Window 33 ahead of me were grandmas and grandpas already. They had a hard time following instructions that somebody from the inside of Window 33 office had to go out and coach them on what to do. I didn't realize how long it took me to finish the simple process until I get back to my seat with the younger ladies who were my seatmates. I was called a lot earlier for finger scanning but they were finished ahead of me. As soon as I sat with them, their numbers started showing on the queuing board which meant they were being called for the pre-screening interview already.

I asked the lady usher how I would know if I had been called already and she said there was no way. I just had to look at the queuing board at ALL times.

Chances were my number had been flashed already but I was still at the finger scanning section when it was. I asked the American lady who was at the Window 33 (she came out to look around if everything is okay) if only those who were done with finger scanning would be called in for the pre-screening interview. She went inside to ask and went back to me. She was so nice. She told me, "I am sorry, but they told me that there would be no way of knowing if you got called already. But, even if your number was flashed already, they only advise you to just wait for your number to be flashed again but that would take a long time. (Of course, there was a way. I just know that they do not encourage that, no matter what the reason may be). Anyway, I had no choice but to wait for my number on the queuing board. The ladies who were my original seatmates got their visas already but I was still not yet called for the pre screening.

TIP: Once you get into the Immigrant Visa Room where the blue chairs are, keep your eyes on the queuing board AT ALL TIMES.

I got called for pre screening around 9:40AM.

The Filipino interviewer was a young man who looked cool. He was laughing at me when I first saw him because I was supposed to come to his window but he saw me waiting on line on the next window next to him instead. It was kind of confusing because the two windows were perpendicular to each other.

His questions:

Your name, Ma'am?

How did you meet your husband?

How did your husband get into the US?

What is your present occupation? (For which he replied, Oh, wow! He was really cool to tell me that, huh. I felt like I was just talking to an acquaintance.)

He read also the other places where I worked and verified that I did work in these places.

Finally, he said, "Ma'am, do you have pictures of your wedding?" At that point, I took out all the chat logs, e-mails, pictures, and the numerous other evidences I brought with me." He laughed and told me. "Naku, hindi ko kaya yan." I tried to ignore him and insisted on inserting each folder one by one through the window slit. He laughed even more and told me, "Ma'am, yung wedding pictures na lang kasi ang dami nyan, sobra yan." I laughed, too, and told him, "Kasi sayang naman, ang dami kong ginastos dyan pati time and effort." He said, "Oo nga Ma'am, araw araw yan ang kino complain sa akin ng mga iniinterview ko. Ako kasi isa lang talaga ang hinihingi ko. Ganito na lang, Ma'am, take note ko na lang dito na may iba ka pang pictures na available. Ilabas mo na lang mamaya pag hiningi pa sa 'yo."

He then took note of all the answers to his questions and told me to wait again for my number to be flashed on the queuing board for the final interview.

After around 7 minutes, my number was flashed again and I went to sit on the chair in front of the room where I had my final interview. While waiting for the lady ahead of me to finish her interview, I heard how the other Filipino screeners interviewed the other applicants. They were strict and very detailed the exact opposite of the young handsome man who interviewed me. Thank God I was not assigned to them.

Then, it was my turn to enter the room for my interview. It went like this:

Consul: You are Mrs. Xxxxx?

I: At this point , I got confused because I was still using my maiden name. I wanted to correct him but anyway, I said, "Yes, Mrs. Xxxxx."

The consul asked me then to raise my right hand and swear that I will only tell him the truth.

Consul: How did you meet your husband?

Consul: How many times did your husband see you here in the Philippines before you got married?

I: You mean, he coming over to the Philippines to visit me?

Consul: Yes.

I: Once only.

Consul: When?

Consul: And when did you get married?

Consul: You told me your husband visited you only once here in the Philippines and that was early last year. You got married late last year. How could you get married without seeing him?

At this point, the consul looked really suspicious, and like someone who has uncovered a hidden treasure.

I: Oh, because I was the one who come and visit him at the USA. I've been to the US thrice already.

Consul: Oh, okay, (seemingly apologetic) that is very rare. Well, it does happen, but, that is very rare. Most of the time, the one from the US is the one who comes to the Philippines to visit.

I: Yes, I know.

Consul: So, when was the last time you travelled to the US?

Consul: When was the longest time you stayed in the US and for how long?

I: The last time I went there, I stayed for around 2 months. I cannot remember the exact dates but it is there in my passport.

Consul: Do you have your US visa with you?

I: It is there in my passport, Sir.

Consul: Oh, all right. (He examined my passport.) What other countries have you been to?

I: Japan.

Consul: (He examined my passport again and searched something on his computer.) Do you have any urgent impending travel for the next few weeks or so?

Consul: Okay, because I have to cancel your tourist visa to the USA. You are no longer qualified to enter the US through a B1/B2 visa. (He then showed me that he placed a very big stamp on my current tourist visa.)

I: Okay. (At the back of my mind, "Oh, no! What if he does not give me my immigrant visa? I won't be able to visit my husband.")

Consul: How did your husband get his US citizenship? (He looked at our wedding pictures.)

Consul: Do the two of you have kids?

Consul: Does he have a family?

I: You mean if he has kids?

Consul: Yes, I mean, if he has kids.

I: Yes, two.

Consul: Do you have your own kids?

I: None. I have no kids.

Consul: Okay, we're done. (He then paused and seemed to remember something.)

Consul: Was there any other country where you lived for more than a year?

I: None, Sir.

Consul: (Nodded.) Okay, Ma'am, we're done. Your visa is approved. (He stood up.) Congratulations and welcome to the United States of America.

I: Thank you, Sir.I left the room gliding like I was stepping on cloud 9. The lady usher instructed me to go back to my seat and wait for MY NAME to be called to the Releasing Unit. It only took less than 10 minutes before I got called.

The man on the window returned to me my wedding photos and gave me a piece of paper to fill up. I brought it to Air 21 booth and showed it to the lady. I paid P205 and went home eagerly to get my hands again on my cell phone. I sent my husband a text message that I was in my sister's house already (Her place is near the embassy.) I did not tell him the result until after he pleaded , hahaha.

Edited by Raeka

I-130 Application

09-06-2007 - Sent the I-130

01-02-2008 - Recieved NOA1

05-01-2008 - NOA2 approved!

05-09-2008 - Recieved hard copy of NOA2

05-16-2008 - Recieved the AOS Fee Bill with Manila Case number

05-18-2008 - Sent Choice of Agent via email

07-29-2008 - Recieved IV bill from the mail

09-10-2008 - Paid the I864 bill and IV bill

09-16-2008 - NVC mailed the Instruction packet agent to my hubby

09-28-2008 - Received hard copy of the instruction packet agent

09-29-2008 - Received the I864 packet

03-02-2009 - Hubby sent the I864 and DS230 to NVC

03-06-2009 - NVC received I-864, under review

03-10-2009 - NVC received DS230, under review

03-13-2009 - I-864 complete, still reviewing the DS230

03-19-2009 - Under NVC final review, the operator told me that i need to redo my DS230

03-23-2009 - CASE COMPLETE!!!

03-25-2009 - GOT A MAY 7 INTERVIEW!!!

03-26-2009 - received appointment letter from NVC through email

03-31-2009 - 1st day Medical

04-01-2009 - 2nd day Medical. PASSED!

04-02-2009 - NVC sent docs to USEM

05-07-2009 - USEM Interview.. VISA APPROVED!!!

05-12-2009 - Finally got my VISA!!!

05-27-2009 - Flight to OK

.png

Thanks you for posting Sis and Congrats!!!!

<style>body{background-image:url(http://images67.imikimi.com/image/images2_full/19twj-101.gif);background-repeat:no-repeat;}</style>

wow congrats!! ;) sana smooth lang din ang interview ko :)

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

wow! you got it real easy! Congrats!!!!

Btw, I filed my CR1 last March 7, 2009... and I would like to know your timeline. Like when did you file your CR1 and how long until you got approved?

Thank ou very much!!

Congratulations :dance:

2008 K1Timeline:

I-129F Application

10/25 Received letter from USEM

11/21-11/22 Med Exam

12/02 Interview date, 7AM (Approved)

12/10 Visa on Hand

Date & Place of POE: 12/17 Detroit

03/10/09 Wedding

2009 AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

4/07 Mailed AOS Package

4/08 Package received

4/14 Cashed Check/

4/18 Biometrics I-485

4/29 Biometrics done

5/02 CSC Transferred

5/05 I-485 Touched (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)(30 days)

5/12 I-485 Touched

5/15 EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approval notice sent

5/18 EAD/AP Touched

5/20 Touched

5/21 AP Received by Mail (44days)

5/22 EAD Received by Mail (45days)

6/25 GC card production ordered!

6/30 Welcome Letter notice received dated 6/26

7/07 Approval notice sent

7/08 GC received by mail

2012 N-400 Timeline:

5/22 Sent

5/30 Cashed Check

wow! you got it real easy! Congrats!!!!

Btw, I filed my CR1 last March 7, 2009... and I would like to know your timeline. Like when did you file your CR1 and how long until you got approved?

Thank ou very much!!

Hi. Thanks for the greeting. I have already updated my timeline. You could check the timeline of all VJers if you click the Immigration Timelines on the VJ toolbar. I think you could also view my timeline if you click my user name in this post. Anyways, it took me only 6 months and 6 days from the time we sent our I130 to the interview. Then, 6 months and 8 days from the filing of I130 to the actual receipt of my visa.

God bless you.

yes and double congratz for being able to visit the US on a tourist visa. Not many people can do that from the Phils. What is your secret to get tourist visa? :star:

I think it all depends on the consul and how he feels about the interviewee (and of course, the will of God :)) I have a doctor friend who tried to obtain a tourist visa and had his bankbook "padded". He himself had some money in his bank account already but borrowed from his cousin several months before his interview just to make it appear big. When it was his time to be interviewed, the consul told him, "If I were you, doctor, I would save up some more before I try to get to America. I'm sorry, but I cannot approve your visa." So, this friend of mine did not get a visa.

Another rich friend applied for a tourist visa 3x before she got approved. This lady has a very nice work in the Phil. and she only really intends to just visit her sister but it took her that much time to get one.

Some friends also offered me 'friends' they know who could help me get my bank account padded. I declined their offer. I went to the interview with my bank book unpadded and showing just my savings which was not much compared to my doctor friend's. During the interview, I was not asked at all about money. The consul just asked me for everything about myself and tried to find inconsistencies in whatever I say. He found none because I was telling the truth. I also did not try to brag about money, or convince him of my financial capability to travel. He approved my visa. :thumbs:

Congratulations!!! :thumbs: .I'm sure sharing your experience will help those who are waiting for their interview.

K1 Timeline

02/26/2007 - Filed I-129F

03/08/2007 - NOA1

06/05/2007 - NOA2

09/10/2007 - Interview

09/13/2007 - Visa Received

12/14/2007 - Flight to USA, POE-LAX

02/22/2008 - Wedding Date

AOS

05/29/2008 - I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox

06/19/2008 - Biometrics

08/25/2008 - Card production ordered

08/30/2008 - Green Card received

ROC

07/15/2010 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

07/19/2010 - NOA1

07/21/2010 - Check cleared

08/11/2010 - Biometrics

08/24/2010 - Card production ordered

08/27/2010 - Approval notice received

08/30/2010 - Green card received

N400 - Naturalization

08/08/2011 - Mailed N400 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

08/12/2011 - NOA

08/15/2011 - Check cashed

09/07/2011 - Biometrics

09/09/2011 - Case status update - In line for testing & interview

09/13/2011 - Case status update - Interview scheduled

09/16/2011 - Interview appointment letter received from the mail

10/31/2011 - Test/Interview - Passed

12/07/2011 - In line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

01/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Congratulations!!! :dance:

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.