LDora

What Are You Reading?

430 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm currently reading a romance novel that I found in a used bookstore for $2.

It's called Desire Untamed by Pamela Palmer. It's a paranormal romance about shape shifters. I need something mindless. But I was reading Tuesdays with Morrie. This is book is simply INCREDIBLE and I suggest it fondly to everyone!

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I enjoyed the Time Traveller's Wife. It was quite different and sad in many ways too. I started reading " . . . And Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer. It's going to keep me occupied for a while - it's 1076 pages long. "Set in a small Ohio town and spanning over sixty years (starting in 1867) it centers of the members of a woman's literary club and their struggles to understand themselves, each other and the tumultuous world they live in" It is a actually a very well written story with great characters and lovely historical anecdotes so far. I've only just started it so am on page 86.

I need to go see the Time Traveller's Wife. Probably wait for DVD.

The movie was quite good. :D

Julia Child and her shark repellent. :lol:

Meryl Streep was brilliant!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have become addicted to Wally Lamb. I recently finished reading his latest The hour I first believed. It is fiction but part of it takes place at the Columbine school shootings. I kept having to remind myself that it was not a true story, he portrays the events so well that it seems like it may have happened just like that. His book She's come undone is a great read. I had to keep reminding myself that it was not written by a woman. It amazed me that a male author was able to portray the issues a female teenager would go through so accurately. I have also read This much I know is true, and very much enjoyed that as well. I just finished a book I grabbed at the airport on my last trip. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It was about the vel d'hiv round up that took place in Paris during WWII. A very sad story.

Timeline
I read in the last week:

The Stones Cry Out

Daughter of the Ganges

The Love Season

The Fifth Woman

Faceless Killers

Nothing really notable. The last two are mysteries written by a Swedish man. They take place in Sweden as well. So, the characters, description of police procedures and scenery are very interesting. Different.

I just started yesterday The Time Travelers Wife. I've got about half way, and while it's interesting, I don't know if I like it yet. I know many people on here rated it as one of their favourites, so I'm still plugging away on it. I also note that it's an upcoming movie as well in theatres shortly. I've never liked movies made from books however, so I highly doubt if I would go. BUT going to a movie where I didn't like that book that well might be something different! We'll see...I'm still only half way done the book....

I read the book and enjoyed it, but wen to see the movie on Monday and although I am usually somewhat disappointed in movies that were made from books....I think this one takes the cake!!! I definitely wouldn't recommend the movie. I did read and go see My Sisters Keeper last month, and although the movie was not as good as the book....I would recommend both. And a box of kleenex to go along with them!!

I couldn't get into Patricia Cornwell and her Kay Scarpetta series. I found myself getting annoyed at the character. :lol:

Lovely Bones was a really good book. Very different.

Wow. A bookmobile that stops a block from your house! :o That is awesome.

I read Lovely Bones as well....Very good. And it is also coming out on movie soon.

I read in the last week:

The Stones Cry Out

Daughter of the Ganges

The Love Season

The Fifth Woman

Faceless Killers

Nothing really notable. The last two are mysteries written by a Swedish man. They take place in Sweden as well. So, the characters, description of police procedures and scenery are very interesting. Different.

I just started yesterday The Time Travelers Wife. I've got about half way, and while it's interesting, I don't know if I like it yet. I know many people on here rated it as one of their favourites, so I'm still plugging away on it. I also note that it's an upcoming movie as well in theatres shortly. I've never liked movies made from books however, so I highly doubt if I would go. BUT going to a movie where I didn't like that book that well might be something different! We'll see...I'm still only half way done the book....

I read the book and enjoyed it, but wen to see the movie on Monday and although I am usually somewhat disappointed in movies that were made from books....I think this one takes the cake!!! I definitely wouldn't recommend the movie. I did read and go see My Sisters Keeper last month, and although the movie was not as good as the book....I would recommend both. And a box of kleenex to go along with them!!

I couldn't get into Patricia Cornwell and her Kay Scarpetta series. I found myself getting annoyed at the character. :lol:

I read Lovely Bones as well....Very good. And it is also coming out on movie soon.

I'm an avid reader Colleens, and have read all of Wally Lamb's books. I agree that I was shocked when I first read She's Come Undone, and realized it was a man that wrote that as well! This Much I Know Is True, is my all-time number 2 favourite book.

I read the Time Travellers Wife, and finished it on Wednesday. WOW. I was almost half way through it when I last posted, and it seemed that right after I posted, I was SO into the book I just couldn't put it down. I think it's an incredible book, and love story. :crying: I LOVED it.

You wouldn't recommend the movie Colleens?

Now I'm reading Escape. It's written by Carolyn Jessop who at eighteen became the fourth wife of a fifty-year-old man and had eight children in fifteen years. She was part of Warren Jeff's compound of FLDS's. She escaped with all her children. This is her story.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I read in the last week:

The Stones Cry Out

Daughter of the Ganges

The Love Season

The Fifth Woman

Faceless Killers

I'm an avid reader Colleens, and have read all of Wally Lamb's books. I agree that I was shocked when I first read She's Come Undone, and realized it was a man that wrote that as well! This Much I Know Is True, is my all-time number 2 favourite book.

I read the Time Travellers Wife, and finished it on Wednesday. WOW. I was almost half way through it when I last posted, and it seemed that right after I posted, I was SO into the book I just couldn't put it down. I think it's an incredible book, and love story. :crying: I LOVED it.

You wouldn't recommend the movie Colleens?

Now I'm reading Escape. It's written by Carolyn Jessop who at eighteen became the fourth wife of a fifty-year-old man and had eight children in fifteen years. She was part of Warren Jeff's compound of FLDS's. She escaped with all her children. This is her story.

I didn't like the movie that much. So much was left out of the book (as usually happens) that it just was not the same. And I didn't think the acting was all that great either, which is a big reason why I didn't like it either.

Timeline

I'm currently reading Runaway Devil. It's about the murders that happened in Medicine Hat, AB in 2006 with the 12 year old girl and her 23 year old boyfriend. :'(

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

I am reading The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman. It's the 3 in His Dark Material series. The first 2 are The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife. Both very good. I've never seen The Golden Compass movie and have been told not to watch it because I will be dissapointed (I don't want to be dissapointed like I was last week when I saw Harry Potter :( ) The trilogy has armoured polar bears, witches, animals that can talk. What else can you ask for?

I love fantasy books.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I read Under the Banner of Heaven awhile back, and the story is just insane. Its about the murder of a woman who was a member of a extremist mormon group. The history about the faith and development of the more extremist groups was well put together.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am reading The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman. It's the 3 in His Dark Material series. The first 2 are The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife. Both very good. I've never seen The Golden Compass movie and have been told not to watch it because I will be dissapointed (I don't want to be dissapointed like I was last week when I saw Harry Potter :( ) The trilogy has armoured polar bears, witches, animals that can talk. What else can you ask for?

I love fantasy books.

Have you read David Eddings? Just a wonderful writer and his series are really gripping, I found myself very involved in the stories

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I always am reading several books at once .... one I leave in the den, one for the bedroom, one for the computer room. So I am reading (well, actually rereading because I love books so much, I get pleasure out of reading the stories again) Rough Justice by Jack Higgins, On the Road by Jack Kerouac and an anthropology book about the Hijras of India.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.