392 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Aparently, submitting a request for a day off for a holiday that is not American is cause for intrusive curiosity at my job. I just turned in the slip to my supervisor to get Wednesday off. I thought it would be a nice day to spend with my Mel, especially as it is her first Canada Day away from her family and friends. Well, my supervisor had never heard of it and googled it to make sure that such a thing exists. He was a bit surprised and was really excited to learn more. To be honest, I don't really know anything about it. So I told him i'd have to ask my wife about it. Of course I have no intention of actually bugging her with this. But, now the bane of my existance (Theresa) has found out and at first she was asking me questions every 2 minutes. I guess my "I don't know" responses weren't good enough. So now, every 2-3 minutes, I get a summary of what she's read off the wikipedia entry about Canada. I have since then got 2 emails and someone drop by my office asking about what Canada Day is. I think i'm going to make some sh!t up and try to get them to fall for it. Can't be too far fetched though. I was thinking something along the lines of "Canada Day is a celebration of when Sir Walter Canada rode in on a moose with his army of polar bears to drive out the british troops in 1923". I did have Theresa sold on the idea that Canada was named after Sir Walter Canada :rofl:

Damn you wikipedia!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could compare it to July 4th, but Canada's own special day. I'm sure they'll understand that if you compare it to Independence Day.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
You could compare it to July 4th, but Canada's own special day. I'm sure they'll understand that if you compare it to Independence Day.

I kind of think of the difference between the two holidays as a fundamental difference in the two countries. After consulting with my wife, I now have a nice and neat 30 second soundbite level response.

Timeline

:rofl:

Oh it's too bad you can't make something up because of stuff like wikipedia. It's odd how people take an interest to some things.

Canada day is pretty similar to July 4th in the ways we celebrate it. (ie. YAY CANADA! or YAY AMERICA!) America is celebrating their independence from Britain, and we are celebrating the BNA act (us starting to become our own country).

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Aparently, submitting a request for a day off for a holiday that is not American is cause for intrusive curiosity at my job. I just turned in the slip to my supervisor to get Wednesday off. I thought it would be a nice day to spend with my Mel, especially as it is her first Canada Day away from her family and friends. Well, my supervisor had never heard of it and googled it to make sure that such a thing exists. He was a bit surprised and was really excited to learn more. To be honest, I don't really know anything about it. So I told him i'd have to ask my wife about it. Of course I have no intention of actually bugging her with this. But, now the bane of my existance (Theresa) has found out and at first she was asking me questions every 2 minutes. I guess my "I don't know" responses weren't good enough. So now, every 2-3 minutes, I get a summary of what she's read off the wikipedia entry about Canada. I have since then got 2 emails and someone drop by my office asking about what Canada Day is. I think i'm going to make some sh!t up and try to get them to fall for it. Can't be too far fetched though. I was thinking something along the lines of "Canada Day is a celebration of when Sir Walter Canada rode in on a moose with his army of polar bears to drive out the british troops in 1923". I did have Theresa sold on the idea that Canada was named after Sir Walter Canada :rofl:

Damn you wikipedia!!!

and most canadians celebrate this day by igloo building and seal swatting.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
It's also the official day of putting our aging seniors onto iceflows to drift away and die. :thumbs:

culminating in the greased wolverine chase, first one to catch it wins a prize.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
It's also the official day of putting our aging seniors onto iceflows to drift away and die. :thumbs:

Charles *sigh.. it's the greased beaver chase... :bonk: get with the program!!! :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Charles *sigh.. it's the greased beaver chase... :bonk: get with the program!!! :lol:

sorry, i got confused and included part of the masochist marathon.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I think i'm going to make some sh!t up and try to get them to fall for it. Can't be too far fetched though. I was thinking something along the lines of "Canada Day is a celebration of when Sir Walter Canada rode in on a moose with his army of polar bears to drive out the british troops in 1923". I did have Theresa sold on the idea that Canada was named after Sir Walter Canada :rofl:

Tell Theresa its when Canada celebrates Christmas and the birth of the holy moose. Tell her that only real Canadians know this, and she'll feel like you imparted a great secret on her. And tell her to keep it on the DL because others would be jealous of her new found knowledge. So much so that she should never discuss Canada Day again.

Timeline

Well I found out yesterday on my way out from the office that I made a bit of a fool of myself. I went to find out if my vacation time for Canada Day had been approved. I had explained to my supervisor what it was because he seemed quite perplexed that I would ask for it off. So I stopped by his office on the way out to verify that it had been approved when he laughed and told me that his parents celebrate Canada Day..... his mother is from the Toronto area. :blush:

I guess it's back to tormenting Theresa.

Timeline
Well I found out yesterday on my way out from the office that I made a bit of a fool of myself. I went to find out if my vacation time for Canada Day had been approved. I had explained to my supervisor what it was because he seemed quite perplexed that I would ask for it off. So I stopped by his office on the way out to verify that it had been approved when he laughed and told me that his parents celebrate Canada Day..... his mother is from the Toronto area. :blush:

Well it was my year end evaluation today and I while I hear no one ever gets perfect, I think I'm pretty good at my job. I'm only a program assistant but I have been asked, imo, to go well beyond that.

So, I failed the document management portion of my evaluation. The reason? I don't file my boss' paperwork for her. :lol: I spent TWO days cleaning out her office because of all the ###### she has in there. I don't even know what is file worthy because there is just paper everywhere. So I guess I'm supposed to spend more time in her office going through her stuff.

I signed it and agreed. I didn't even care.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Well it was my year end evaluation today and I while I hear no one ever gets perfect, I think I'm pretty good at my job. I'm only a program assistant but I have been asked, imo, to go well beyond that.

So, I failed the document management portion of my evaluation. The reason? I don't file my boss' paperwork for her. :lol: I spent TWO days cleaning out her office because of all the ###### she has in there. I don't even know what is file worthy because there is just paper everywhere. So I guess I'm supposed to spend more time in her office going through her stuff.

I signed it and agreed. I didn't even care.

Come on now Amanda, you know you're supposed to be doing her job for her :whistle:

You still looking for another job, or was that a passing fancy?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.