Lisa and Ian

April 2009 K-1 Filers

3,664 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

To apply for a marriage license in Alaska, both parties must have their Social Security numbers, ID, appear in person and sign after taking an oath. There is a 3 day waiting period before you can pick it up and it's only valid for 3 months. Does it usually take very long to be issued a SS number?

3872111ccc.png

April 19th 2010: AOS NOA1

For us, we're lucky that California's rules are less stringent. We both have to be there, but just need ID. Neither of us has to be a US citizen, so I don't need my SS first, which is great, cause that'd just be another stupid delay. I've seen it suggested that you wait about 2 weeks after your POE to request a SSN, and then it takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

For us, we're lucky that California's rules are less stringent. We both have to be there, but just need ID. Neither of us has to be a US citizen, so I don't need my SS first, which is great, cause that'd just be another stupid delay. I've seen it suggested that you wait about 2 weeks after your POE to request a SSN, and then it takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Oh, this is good to know!

I find it redundant to have to get the SSN then marry then go and change the name.

Now that I Know this, I'll be getting my SSN after marriage then.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Oh, this is good to know!

I find it redundant to have to get the SSN then marry then go and change the name.

Now that I Know this, I'll be getting my SSN after marriage then.

Agreed... it seems a little silly to have to do that twice!

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathm...nformation.aspx

:)

Edited by ashenflowers

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And for us, in the state of Nevada, we just show up, fill out the papers with 2 pieces of id and then they give the licence to you!

Not bad!! Its Vegas baby! lol

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

And for us, in the state of Nevada, we just show up, fill out the papers with 2 pieces of id and then they give the licence to you!

This is good to know too :lol:

Since I have no clue what's going on with wedding plans, I dont know if we're getting married in Cali or Vegas.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

The rules are basically the same in Cali and Nevada. You both show up, get the license, and can marry the same day. :) Wish this whole process was that easy!

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Come on to Chicago and do it all at once (except all I have to have is my one picture ID, my girl needs two IDs - foreign passport and birth cert. in our case). If you get just the license in Chicago then you have to wait a day for the paper.

moving right along

We already have our marriage license. Nebraska doesn't even care if you show up together ... we got it through the mail with photographed ID's, which I had easy access to, thanks to our 129F packet.

I don't understand. You are now legally married in the USA ... BEFORE your K1 is approved?

We have a license to get married, not a marriage certificate.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

We already have our marriage license. Nebraska doesn't even care if you show up together ... we got it through the mail with photographed ID's, which I had easy access to, thanks to our 129F packet.

I don't understand. You are now legally married in the USA ... BEFORE your K1 is approved?

I see attaya already answered that. :)

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Good morning!

Starlight-congratulations on the progress! NOA2 is just around the corner :yes:

Minnew-congratulations to you both and happy birthday to your fiance! What is the day of your wedding going to be?

Maverick-hope you get out of AP really soon and that you get to be with your fiancee soon

Lisa-We need to try to get the Social Security number. If we don't get it in time, then we need to get a letter from our Social Security office stating why he didn't get it in time. Shouldn't be a problem, though. I'm hoping to have our wedding on October 10 :) We just decided last night. We're going to be at my parent's house that weekend (where all my family lives), and I'm going to call up my old youth pastor (who is very liberal and wouldn't mind performing an inter-faith ceremony). We're going to go out to a park-just Lamine, me, my parents, my grandma and my sister and we're going to do a no-fuss ceremony. That's the tentative plan, anyways.

When was the last time anyone heard from Neil? I see my endoftheroad's list that he was approved, but I never saw him update (maybe cause I'm too lazy to dig for his post).

Hope everyone is doing well!

Any new news?

I am glad that you are still going to have a small wedding ceremony. This is a great idea at least you will be able to celebrate this wonderful union with your few close family members I am sure Lamine will love it. Small ceremonys are more memorable than big elaborate ones.

As far as my NOA2 I got another touch today. I am hoping that touch is my NOA2.

Timeline

Our company trip today was not long enough. Eventually, I had to get back to my desk and face the computer :lol:. Than to my surprise I got a touch. I wonder what kind surprise tomorrow will bring.

Edited by Starlight95

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Our company trip today was not long enough. Eventually, I had to get back to my desk and face the computer :lol:. Than to my surprise I got a touch. I wonder what kind surprise tomorrow will bring.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :yes:

moving right along

Timeline

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :yes:

Yes it could very well be the lucky touch!!! I will nod to that too. :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.