Twisted K

Getting married in India...

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Congratulations!!!! your list looks good, keep pictures of all the ceremonies, also keep pictures with family members from both sides who can attest to the marriage in the event that it is needed. Good Luck!!!

Edited by queuedup

The Journey Home
04/27/2009 - POE at JFK (Quick and Easy!!!!)
05/07/2009 - Applied for SSN
05/09/2009 - Welcome Letter Received
05/14/2009 - SSN Received
05/11/2009 - GC Production Ordered
06/12/2009 - GC Production Ordered (AGAIN ?!?!?!)
06/19/2009 - Alien Registration Approval notice email
06/22/2009 - 2 Year Green Card Received!!!!!!

Naturalization
02/06/2013 - Application Sent
02/13/2013 - NOA (Priority Date Feb 8th)
02/13/2013 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
02/21/2013 - Early Bio Appt. (Original March 15th)
02/26/2013 - Place Inline for Interview

04/24/2013 - Interview scheduled

05/31/2013 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

XX/XX/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
The original petition was denied for lack of bona fide relationship evidence, which is why we want to overload with the i-130, no excuses this time ;).

Yeah, he is a wedding planning machine, I don't know how he is doing it all, but I just talked to him, and he is going to the temple near his house. He already arranged for his family to come into town. One of my sisters were going to come to the wedding when we were getting married in September, but since we bumped it up 4 months, she doesn't think she will be able to. One of the reasons for the bump also was because tickets are so much cheaper now. I could not believe the prices for April and May. I have promised my mom that when he gets here, we will have the wedding we have always planned. Since my family is unable to attend, that is my main reason for having their affidavits. It will be a small intimate wedding ceremony so nothing elaborate, maybe we will have a bigger party afterwards. It is just hard to want to have the big celebration when it is with people that I barely know, besides his family and friends that I have met on previous trips.

Thanks for all the input :yes: Keep them coming!! Good luck Sara on your upcoming nuptuals. It just blows my mind that you have had to endure this difficult wait :bonk:

I am still a firm believer we will all be with our loved ones soon. Nothing is going to stop us.

Small? Intimate? Wedding in India??? You sure about that? J/K - I'm sure he's doing a great job getting everything together so quickly. I bet it's tough on him since May is a very popular month for weddings.

I know the airfare is super tempting right now....

Keep in mind, at least from my research, that the embassy in New Delhi loves tradition so I would make sure a good bit of what is expected with rituals, etc is included.

hi lauren im kind of laughing cuz any wedding that i have attended in india or pak that stated small........well lets just say i dont think i know as many people personally in my life that i aways saw at what was considered small weddings there lol :whistle:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks, I am just sad I can't get anyone in my family to come, although they have all agreed to write affidavits. He is trying to see if someone can also videotape so my family can enjoy. Lol, my best friend suggested I bring my laptop and a webcam, so they can watch it online :P

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Thanks, I am just sad I can't get anyone in my family to come, although they have all agreed to write affidavits. He is trying to see if someone can also videotape so my family can enjoy. Lol, my best friend suggested I bring my laptop and a webcam, so they can watch it online :P

That sure is good idea, but to find wireless internet with good speed and service is hard in india. If it was opposite then it would nice. I just did for my sister wedding so my wife can watch it in india. It worked out great I must say!!! :)

U.S. Passport

xx-xx-2012: Passport application sent

I-130 petition for Sibling

07-19-2012: Sent I-130 via Priority mail

07-23-2012: I-130 received by PHX lbx (forwarded to california)

07-23-2012: Priority date

07-30-2012: I-797 receipt received

1. CR1 [Completed: 2009/Total Days: 325]

2. ROC [Completed: 2011/Total Days: 222]

3. CITIZENSHIP [Completed: 2012/Total Days: 125]

4. US PASSPORT [Completed: 2012/Total Days: ]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I'll second the suggestion to keep a list of guests to provide at the consular interview. I've even read here that people have been asked for contact information for those on their guest lists. :unsure:

Best wishes for a lovely wedding!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Timeline
After much discussion with my fiance, different attorneys, family members, and friends, we have decided to get married in May since CSC will not review our expired K1 petition we filed in April of last year. Upon my return we will file our I130 for our CR1 visa.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Anything we need to be aware of? I know I will have to address our K1 petition when I file the I-130, not a problem, since I plan on using this time to insert my rebuttal and include additional evidence, including the evidence from the fatal 221g that the embassy requested.

So far we are planning for the Arya Samaj wedding since I am unable to get a 30 day leave from work. We will take that information to the court within a few days so they can process our civil marriage certificate.

What am I missing? I will change my last name on everything when I return. I will make him the beneficiary of my 401k. I have a letter from my apartment manager that she is aware of our intention to live in my apartment. I will have affidavits from both sides of the family. My banks will not allow him to be added to any of my accounts until he gets here, but he is checking into adding me to his Indian account. We will have plenty of pictures. I have kept every single receipt and boarding passes from my February trip.

I can't help but wonder what else I will need since this is not an original filing of a petition. Can anyone see what I am missing? :blink:

we got married in Delhi,

here are the mistakes we did which you can avoid.

1.We did not register our marriage in Delhi so my wife has to come back to register it and it was pretty expensive and time consuming. So my advice is for you get your marriage register otherwise you will be in a big mess. Embassy doesn't recognize Arya Samaz wedding (we got married in church still we got RFE from USCIS to send them a letter from civil authority or marriage registrar) if you need help i have some Advocate friends in Delhi they can help you.

2.You must get a NOC from embassy before you get married. It's free of cost for a US citizen from embassy and you can get it by presenting you American passport in few minutes. We didn't do it so we had a hard time when we were registering our marriage with a magistrate in Delhi.

According to Indian marriage Act if you are marring a foreign nation than you have to do a court marriage. Don't be foolish by some advocates if suggest for Aray Samaz marriage (its there profession to make money and they will never say no to you.)

rest we did fine so far and i have my interview on 4th may. any help any time send a PM.

Arun

Timeline

Thanks Arun :thumbs: I got the NOC letter when I was there in February. The court said it was good for 6 months, but to be on the safe side, I will get another one the week I get there. Yes, we are going to court right after we get the certificate from the Arya samaj. The courthouse told us that they will need something in writing, along with 2 witnesses, affidavits, along with proof of identity to register our marriage.

Good luck on your interview!! Keep us posted. Maybe if you are still in Delhi by May 12, you can come to our marriage :yes:

He is home!!!

Timeline
Thanks Arun :thumbs: I got the NOC letter when I was there in February. The court said it was good for 6 months, but to be on the safe side, I will get another one the week I get there. Yes, we are going to court right after we get the certificate from the Arya samaj. The courthouse told us that they will need something in writing, along with 2 witnesses, affidavits, along with proof of identity to register our marriage.

Good luck on your interview!! Keep us posted. Maybe if you are still in Delhi by May 12, you can come to our marriage :yes:

According to Indian Marriage act you guys have to register your marriage under special marriage act because one of the party is foreign nation. But the Indian advocates have their own ways to find the loopholes in the Law. If you are having a Hindu marriage than its a lot easier for you to register your marriage but I would suggest you guys to register under Special Marriage Act (my recommendation).

here is helpful link from Delhi Govt. http://delhigovt.nic.in/dept/pubserv/marriagecert.asp

Thnx for the Invitation, I wish I can attend your wedding but I think I would be gone by that time.

Regards,

Arun

Timeline

Yes, he hired an advocate, that is how we got the information. They said that is the way to bypass the 30 day waiting period. So much redtape, it is no wonder people try for K1 first. But the embassy limited our options by returning our case. Oh well, water under the bridge now :yes:

He is home!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.