Beau79

DENIED :( :(

62 posts in this topic

Would it be reasonable to assume that your past income just barely meets the requirements?

Sorry you didn't find this place a lot sooner. It would have saved you a lot of $$. Many of us did it all ourselves because of this place. And of course most of us are first-timers, too. So you're not alone there!!

It'll work out. You just have a few documents to send them.

But seriously, Montreal is normally very cool -- my husband was given his visa the day of his interview in fact. And he isn't alone in this experience. The whole process is generally painless so it is a shock to see them slow you down like this.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Would it be reasonable to assume that your past income just barely meets the requirements?

Sorry you didn't find this place a lot sooner. It would have saved you a lot of $$. Many of us did it all ourselves because of this place. And of course most of us are first-timers, too. So you're not alone there!!

It'll work out. You just have a few documents to send them.

But seriously, Montreal is normally very cool -- my husband was given his visa the day of his interview in fact. And he isn't alone in this experience. The whole process is generally painless so it is a shock to see them slow you down like this.

No, my 2005,2006, and 2007 were all WELL above the limit, and increased year over year. So, I don't know what it was, but they want 2008 tax info, which I will get them. I can tell you that the CO didn't ask very many questions, instead she discussed how, like my wife, she was a teacher and was working at the consulate in the mean time. So, yes, I guess they were cool. Had I known they needed my tax info, we wouldn't be in this position. The reason WHY they asked for it, is because they know I am currently in school, so current/future income is of their interest.

B

Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.

Timeline
Lots of luck getting your tax accountant to rush your return this close to the deadline. Many of them are already way behind and are asking for extensions. The consulate in Montreal is just a phone call away....

Old Dominion - the consulate in Montreal is not just a phone call away - they do not take calls.

They take phone calls only at selected times: 514.398.9695

I take it you were reading the embassy info. If you read the second line you will see that they no longer take phone calls.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
No need to mail it in. Do it online for free at www.turbotaxonline.com. It is very easy to use. Just print out a copy of your returns and send in your w-2's with it. That's all. Takes just a couple of hours and you are done. Good luck. :star:

But what would you suggest in my case? I didn't make over the amount for the 2008 year as I was out of the country for the majority of the year. What's the most important thing that they look at? Last year's return, or the fact that I'm currently employeed and in good standing? If this all boils down just last year's returns, I think that's so crappy because that would require me to add sponsors.

Thanks for any help guys!

There have been other postings indicating USCIS is asking for 2008 tax returns. If you didn't make enough money in 2008 to go over poverty line and/or can not produce recent paystubs then I would highly recommend you get a joint sponsor. My wife (USC) made enough in 2008 but she lost her job and we had to get a joint sponsor simply for the fact that we did not have paystubs for Dec 2008 and Jan 2009.

They WILL look at 2008 returns to determine poverty limit but you might want to get a letter from your employer stating your annual salary, your status as current employee, and length of your employment.

Plan for the scenario that you will be asked for 2008 returns and would need to justify income gap.

Good luck!

AOS from H1B

--------------------

04/2/09: Filed I-130, I-485, EAD, AP

04/13/09: Received NOA for all the forms

04/16/09: Received biometrics appointment

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Beau79 Just wondering how things were coming along...

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Timeline

Reena:

My wife had her interview last Monday. The Consulate had the requested paperwork delivered at 10AM Thursday morning.

I sent them my 2008 Tax Return including all slips.

I also sent them required information for a co-sponsor (if needed). Included are 2005-2007 return copies, and W-2's for 2008 since his returns are not completed for 2008.

After reading the post above, I should have probably included pay stubs for the last few months of 2009 to show them that I still have my job. All they asked for as 2008 info, I'll be really irritated if they ask for 2009 info as my 2008 info demonstrates my earnings are satisfactory.

So now, we check the tracking number for the Canada Post mailer daily hoping that they process and send something out soon :(

That is all so far. Thanks so much for asking.

Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Reena:

My wife had her interview last Monday. The Consulate had the requested paperwork delivered at 10AM Thursday morning.

I sent them my 2008 Tax Return including all slips.

I also sent them required information for a co-sponsor (if needed). Included are 2005-2007 return copies, and W-2's for 2008 since his returns are not completed for 2008.

After reading the post above, I should have probably included pay stubs for the last few months of 2009 to show them that I still have my job. All they asked for as 2008 info, I'll be really irritated if they ask for 2009 info as my 2008 info demonstrates my earnings are satisfactory.

So now, we check the tracking number for the Canada Post mailer daily hoping that they process and send something out soon :(

That is all so far. Thanks so much for asking.

Paystubs shouldn't be a problem with you. USC citizen has to prove that he/she is employed AT THE TIME OF FILING. We filed last week and had to show continuous employment for past few months.. that's why Jan 2009 paystub was an issue.

AOS from H1B

--------------------

04/2/09: Filed I-130, I-485, EAD, AP

04/13/09: Received NOA for all the forms

04/16/09: Received biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline
So my wife had her interview today at the Montreal Consulate, and everything went well until they reviewed tax returns. They said that since its tax season now, they want my 2008 tax returns. This is unfair as my tax returns are not DUE for another 2 weeks! My income was more than sufficient from 2005-2007. I'm so down. This process has taken SO long. Now have to rush my tax returns, mail them, and then sit and wait. Does anyone know what the required minimum is for a 2 person household in the U.S.? If I'm not above it, I'll need a 2nd affidavit of support. Please help...

What if your 2006 and 2007 tax years were insufficient income level, and your 2008 was sufficient income, will they require a co-sponser or issue a denial? :blink:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Keeping an eye on your thread Beau, I hope you get an update soon

:)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

What if your 2006 and 2007 tax years were insufficient income level, and your 2008 was sufficient income, will they require a co-sponser or issue a denial?

and what if your self employed and dont have pay stubs?

Well, you really need to send in the most recent year. So if they have your 2008 return, and its sufficient, it should be fine. I'm sure trailmix can shed some light on the previous years. If I had to guess, the past years may not be held against you since the most recent return is above the minimum. Is your interview for montreal?

Edited by Beau79

Filed: Timeline

What if your 2006 and 2007 tax years were insufficient income level, and your 2008 was sufficient income, will they require a co-sponser or issue a denial?

and what if your self employed and dont have pay stubs?

Well, you really need to send in the most recent year. So if they have your 2008 return, and its sufficient, it should be fine. I'm sure trailmix can shed some light on the previous years. If I had to guess, the past years may not be held against you since the most recent return is above the minimum. Is your interview for montreal?

no my interview is not in montreal, though if my wife had been from canada i would be visiting her every weekend, the interview is for my wife who resides in pakistan. :thumbs:

Timeline

Any word back from the embassy?

zachsmile2ym1.jpg

Married 3/15/07

USCIS:

NOA1: 5/23/2008

NOA2: 9/12/2008

NVC:

They received: 9/24/2008

Case Complete: 12/1/2008

Interview: 03/24/2009

Received approved visa (after RFE in interview): 04/21/2009

Timeline

Negative. Didn't hear anything all week, Friday they were closed, and I think they're closed tomorrow (Monday) too :(

Getting impatient though....thats for sure. :(

Negative. Didn't hear anything all week, Friday they were closed, and I think they're closed tomorrow (Monday) too :(

Getting impatient though....thats for sure. :(

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping you hear positive news soon! (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.