LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Then someone wanted to know what we do on Halloween in Canada... uhh same stuff, the only difference is we buy our kids costumes in adult sizes so they can fit over their snow suits. :lol:

Hmmmm now you've got me there. I'm not quite sure whether that is sarcasm or real. Normally, I'd ask my wife and she'll either laugh at me for believing it, or give me the look. It is far to early for me to call her and wake her up to ask this. Last time I did, It was to ask her what cross buns were at 7:00 in the morning. :lol:

That statment is also from the "You know you're from Colorado when". In fact we're expected to get between 4 and 14 inches of snow over the next few days because of the storm moving in here. Oct is actually one of the months we generally can see some of the biggest snow storms of the year...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Then someone wanted to know what we do on Halloween in Canada... uhh same stuff, the only difference is we buy our kids costumes in adult sizes so they can fit over their snow suits. :lol:

Hmmmm now you've got me there. I'm not quite sure whether that is sarcasm or real. Normally, I'd ask my wife and she'll either laugh at me for believing it, or give me the look. It is far to early for me to call her and wake her up to ask this. Last time I did, It was to ask her what cross buns were at 7:00 in the morning. :lol:

I'm not "allowed" to talk to my wife until she's had her morning coffee. I stepped over that line once. Never again! :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
hell ya, it gets cold at the end of Oct in SK, costume has to be big enough to go over the parka!!

I always hated when my mum would insist on me wearing my winter coat underneath - i mean how seriously uncool :(

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

You know what I don't understand about Halloween? Why don't kids go door-to-door when trick-or-treating anymore? It seems parents take them to malls or other gatherings now. I remember checking out the entire neighborhood while looking for candy. That was in the 80s, but come on... it's not like it's suddenly become too dangerous to trick-or-treat. Hell, I'd do it if it wouldn't look so odd. :P

Timeline
You know what I don't understand about Halloween? Why don't kids go door-to-door when trick-or-treating anymore? It seems parents take them to malls or other gatherings now. I remember checking out the entire neighborhood while looking for candy. That was in the 80s, but come on... it's not like it's suddenly become too dangerous to trick-or-treat. Hell, I'd do it if it wouldn't look so odd. :P

I still take my son door to door, but not as many people are giving out candy that's for sure. I think it's a safety concern for many parents. It kind of sucks.

You know what sucks? Game 3 is on Halloween. I'm going to try to bribe my son into calling it an early night :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I still take my son door to door, but not as many people are giving out candy that's for sure. I think it's a safety concern for many parents. It kind of sucks.

You know what sucks? Game 3 is on Halloween. I'm going to try to bribe my son into calling it an early night :P

But a night out might dull the pain of a Yankees win :jest:

Timeline

Jays play in the AL East so that means I can say only one thing about the issue,

"Go Phils Go!"

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just hoping for a good series!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Jays play in the AL East so that means I can say only one thing about the issue,

"Go Phils Go!"

That's the spirit! :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Saturday night we were over at a friend's house for movie night and they had some otehr friends over who we hadn't met. somehow during the course of conversation, it came up that I was Canadian - the husband of the couple said 'You're Cdn eh? I'm so sorry'

Uhm - excuse me? What a jerkface...I mean what kind of thing is that to say to someone you've just met? I just said 'No need to be sorry at all' and then I was done talking to him.

Just stupid

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
Aww I would have played! :dance:

The come backs would have been ENDLESS!

And yea what a jerk.

I think that was the first thing my wife's grandmother said to me (substitute America for Canada though). :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Saturday night we were over at a friend's house for movie night and they had some otehr friends over who we hadn't met. somehow during the course of conversation, it came up that I was Canadian - the husband of the couple said 'You're Cdn eh? I'm so sorry'

Uhm - excuse me? What a jerkface...I mean what kind of thing is that to say to someone you've just met? I just said 'No need to be sorry at all' and then I was done talking to him.

Just stupid

What matters in that statement is how he said it. I'd take that as a hehe, poke poke kind of joke, not something serious to be offended about.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Just stupid

What matters in that statement is how he said it. I'd take that as a hehe, poke poke kind of joke, not something serious to be offended about.

In the absense of some sort of sports reference, I don't see any good hearted jab.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.