LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Maybe in Florida, but around this area, people pay an arm and a leg to send their kids to college. It's insane. I was talking to my in-laws about the price of sending my husband to college and I was floored.

My cousin got a baseball scholarship to Graceland University in Iowa a couple of years ago and couldn't finish because he couldn't come up with the rest of the money - and he had scholarship money.

I have a friend who is going to grad school here in Philly and went to Cal Poly before and his student loans are so far over $90,000.00 - and he still has to go to grad school. He's telling me that he'll probably be close to $150,000.00 once he's finished. That's insane to me.

I started school in Seattle and my tuition for a full load was only $800. It REALLY depends on the school you're going to, if you're paying in-state resident fees or out-of-state fees, etc.

I just looked up Cal Poly's tuition rates for Fall 2009. For in-state tuition fees, it is $5800 (not bad at all). For out-of-state, it's $16,000, which again, isn't bad at all.

Just for comparison, I looked up the school I went to. For Fall 2009, in-state is $3165. Out-of-state is $8385.

Edited by Malrothien

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Maybe in Florida, but around this area, people pay an arm and a leg to send their kids to college. It's insane. I was talking to my in-laws about the price of sending my husband to college and I was floored.

My cousin got a baseball scholarship to Graceland University in Iowa a couple of years ago and couldn't finish because he couldn't come up with the rest of the money - and he had scholarship money.

I have a friend who is going to grad school here in Philly and went to Cal Poly before and his student loans are so far over $90,000.00 - and he still has to go to grad school. He's telling me that he'll probably be close to $150,000.00 once he's finished. That's insane to me.

I started school in Seattle and my tuition for a full load was only $800. It REALLY depends on the school you're going to, if you're paying in-state resident fees or out-of-state fees, etc.

I just looked up Cal Poly's tuition rates for Fall 2009. For in-state tuition fees, it is $5800 (not bad at all). For out-of-state, it's $16,000, which again, isn't bad at all.

Just for comparison, I looked up the school I went to. For Fall 2009, in-state is $3165. Out-of-state is $8385.

It certainly does. Many state schools are pretty reasonable for residents, non-residents usually pay throught the nose. Sprailenes is in Pennsylvania so maybe we're talking about Penn not PSU.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Uh no I'm in South Jersey... it's Princeton here peoples! :lol:

I thought you were in New Jersey but for some reason I was under the impression that you had moved across the river. I knew one guy who was ahead of me by one year who went off to Princeton to study Physics. Albert Einstein, the Tokamak project and all that #######. He came back for the summer and I asked him how it was to be studying where Einstein taught with the famous Physics Department, his response was, "we learn the same stuff as UofT." :lol:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

I grew up with the pronunciation "toook" = stocking cap to husband

There's a Timmy's in Rhode Island somewhere . . . we went. It's not the same.

grocery store = supermarket (doubt I'll ever call them that)

I still say Zed, thank you very much

Please don't make fun of people who live in Idaho or I'll punch your lights out ;)

Not only can you not say buggy when speaking of a shopping cart . . . you should see the look when I refer to my bundle buggy.

Apparently, I do say aboot, but not very often? :wacko:

I refer to "freeways" as "highways" and probably always will.

I talk about the way of getting there as the route (prononcez "root")

And, on that, they pronounce root like the oo in book.

On the topic of where Toronto is, there are 2 of them. Toronto ON and Toronto OH. So, it is possible that you may have to specify that you mean the one in Canada. Granted, probably no one in the US has heard of Toronto Ohio as it is very tiny.

You wanna see cowboys in the streets? Don't go to Texas---come to Pocatello Idaho. It's comical.

I say washroom at first and if that meets with blank stare I say Public Washroom. But, most of the time I just ask where the women's can is. Putting the sex in front of whatever comes after seems to clarify one's question.

I miss Crappy Tire. Ace Hardware comes sort of close . . . but, I'm sure that they won't take my Canadian Tire money.

And, yes, I, too, am the recipient of everybody's Canadian money. I accept. I think I have about $30.00 now not including the special loonies and toonies.

I had to explain elastics as well. I asked if my co-worker needed any elastics. What are they? You know, elastic bands to hold all the papers together. Ooooooohhhhhhh, you mean rubber bands. Yes, of course that is what I mean.

My parents came to Canada from Scotland and so I have other phrases, names and pronunciations that have very little to do with Canada---and cause just as much head shaking. Plus, my dad was in the 2nd world war and picked up some phrases from being out "in the desert with Rummel." We learned them and I still use them. My husband is learning what they mean . . . slowly.

Oh, yes. Southeast Idaho is a desert. Potatoes grow here as well as several varieties of wheat, grapes, tomatoes, carrots, plums, apples, onions, beans, peas, apricots, chard, lettuce, cabbage, squash, melons, gourds. So, Houston may not have cowboys or desert, but we have both. It's technically known as "high desert" because of the altitude (4400 above sea level).

I call underwear "gotchies." Husband calls them "unders."

Okay . . . I'm done for today.

:)

Oh! Forgot a precious one! I say glove box when referring to the lidded compartment on the passenger's side of the car front seat (not that anybody in living memory has ever kept gloves in it). They call it a jockey box here.

Edited by Knobby_Wheezer

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

Timeline

The "elastic = rubber band" issue came up a while ago for my wife and me. She calls them elastics. I had no idea what she was talking about. I know what elastic is, but the usage eluded me. When she explained it, I said: "Oh, like rubber bands?" Same thing, just different terminology.

Idaho has cowboys? I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

Lots of places have the same name. There are 12 cities named Houston in the U.S. (not including the one in Texas) and one in Canada and the UK. Naturally, when someone says "Houston" they first think of Texas, just like someone would think of Toronto in Canada before the seven cities in the U.S. with the same name. When someone says "London" I bet the majority would think of England before Ontario or Texas (yes, there's a London AND a Paris in Texas, if you can believe it).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lol. I did tell someone Wes knows that I live in Ontario and he was like, oh thats not too far...Because Ontario, CA isnt far from Santa Ana compaired to Ontario Canada. Apparently our province didnt even occur to him, you should have seen the look on his face when I told him.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I came to a halloween party at work yesterday and was so impressed with how they transformed the clubhouse and everything. Then one of my coworkers said: "Oh you must not be used to this being from Canada.." and I thought they were joking and they weren't.

A - I have lived here for two years, I am used to it.

B - WE HAVE FREAKING HALLOWEEN IN CANADA!!!!

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I came to a halloween party at work yesterday and was so impressed with how they transformed the clubhouse and everything. Then one of my coworkers said: "Oh you must not be used to this being from Canada.." and I thought they were joking and they weren't.

A - I have lived here for two years, I am used to it.

B - WE HAVE FREAKING HALLOWEEN IN CANADA!!!!

What day is Canadian Halloween on ? :jest:

Timeline

Then someone wanted to know what we do on Halloween in Canada... uhh same stuff, the only difference is we buy our kids costumes in adult sizes so they can fit over their snow suits. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Then someone wanted to know what we do on Halloween in Canada... uhh same stuff, the only difference is we buy our kids costumes in adult sizes so they can fit over their snow suits. :lol:

Hmmmm now you've got me there. I'm not quite sure whether that is sarcasm or real. Normally, I'd ask my wife and she'll either laugh at me for believing it, or give me the look. It is far to early for me to call her and wake her up to ask this. Last time I did, It was to ask her what cross buns were at 7:00 in the morning. :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hell ya, it gets cold at the end of Oct in SK, costume has to be big enough to go over the parka!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.