LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Why do i always feel like americans are always correcting my speech?

the other day, my coworker and I were talking about Veterans... and right after I said Veterans (just like how its spelled) she corrects me and says "Vetrans". :mellow: ....

ok i am done with the speech correction thank you

That's happened to me several times and I wish I had an example off the top of my head but I don't.

It's more how they think their way is the only way and the right way.

A couple of weeks ago I spelled humor as "humour" by accident and my coworker pointed it out. I apologized and told her I grew up spelling it that way and she basically told me: "I think you're spelling it the stupid way"

That kind of stuff gets to me.

Ahhh yes....more then once I've been told to "learn how to spell" which really grates on my last nerve. Another one that is annoying...gf of mine the other day wanted me to repeat something to her daughter on the phone because apparently the way I said it with my 'accent' was hilarious. I had to inform her I wasn't a friggin sideshow. Sheesh.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yea I sometimes say things that sound funny to others.

I can't stop saying "eh" because it finishes off certain sentences so nicely.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife virtually NEVER says "eh"..... but I do, a lot now that I think about it :blush:

I imagine that Americans living and working in Canada get much the same treatment when they mispell or mispronounce words according to Canadian standards. I wouldn't think much of it myself, it is the manner in which words are spelled and pronounced in that country, so technically they are right and no matter how much you insist, you would be the one butchering it :P

Timeline

When I was in HS I had a friend from Australia who constantly asked me to repeat lines from Degrassi Jr. High, which apparently was a big show with her back home and she'd get a kick out of it. But I used to ask her to tell me that a dingo ate her baby.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
When I was in HS I had a friend from Australia who constantly asked me to repeat lines from Degrassi Jr. High, which apparently was a big show with her back home and she'd get a kick out of it. But I used to ask her to tell me that a dingo ate her baby.

:rofl:

I must admit that when I was much younger, I loved SCTV reruns and as such, one of my favorite movies was Strange Brew. I still love that movie. But having seen it as many times as I have, I am burdened with the overwhealming urge to call people "Hosers" :rofl:

Timeline

Well I've been experiencing some funny comments/questions since starting my job... For example, someone asked me what kind of car I drove... I replied a Mazda... She said "OH they have Mazdas in Canada!? I thought you had Canadian cars" Yes, our cars are horse and buggy!! :wacko: Of course other ridiculous comments that make me laugh out loud or shake my head

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Well I've been experiencing some funny comments/questions since starting my job... For example, someone asked me what kind of car I drove... I replied a Mazda... She said "OH they have Mazdas in Canada!? I thought you had Canadian cars" Yes, our cars are horse and buggy!! :wacko: Of course other ridiculous comments that make me laugh out loud or shake my head

Well, I suppose how you pronounced Mazda would make a big difference :P

Filed: Timeline
When I was in HS I had a friend from Australia who constantly asked me to repeat lines from Degrassi Jr. High,

I passed by that street on Sunday! I never even knew it was a real street. :lol: Mind you, it was my kids who grew up watching that show.... not me. My daughter told me they actually filmed there. Who knew. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

They filmed around the area for the kids of degrassi street. They filmed Degrassi High at Centennial College over on Pape St. All Eastern Toronto areas though. Love it!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
When I was in HS I had a friend from Australia who constantly asked me to repeat lines from Degrassi Jr. High,

I passed by that street on Sunday! I never even knew it was a real street. :lol: Mind you, it was my kids who grew up watching that show.... not me. My daughter told me they actually filmed there. Who knew. lol

Actually they filmed at Vincent Massey in Etobicoke, which I remember because one of my teacher's had gone to school in the De Grassi area (Riverdale Collegiate, I forget which primary/junior high though). The series is spelled differently and there never was a Degrassi school on De Grassi Street which is in Riverdale. They shot the series at Vincent Massey which was empty. They did shoot some exteriors in the area. That's TV for you. I do correct myself everytime I pass by that street though. Sprailenes is right, Degrassi High was filmed at Centennial College, they made a big deal out of it in the Star too.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Well, I wasn't actually saying that the school was filmed there. I said that they filmed there. Pay attention people! lol

Yes, ma'am. :lol: Whenever I had to pass that way (bro' did one of his rotations at Toronto East General) I drove down that street and tried to figure out where they put the cameras. ERRR...I mean I've never been to me, let alone De Grassi Street. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Why do i always feel like americans are always correcting my speech?

the other day, my coworker and I were talking about Veterans... and right after I said Veterans (just like how its spelled) she corrects me and says "Vetrans". :mellow: ....

ok i am done with the speech correction thank you

That's happened to me several times and I wish I had an example off the top of my head but I don't.

It's more how they think their way is the only way and the right way.

A couple of weeks ago I spelled humor as "humour" by accident and my coworker pointed it out. I apologized and told her I grew up spelling it that way and she basically told me: "I think you're spelling it the stupid way"

That kind of stuff gets to me.

The stupid way? While I use American English, I don't think Canadian English is stupid. It's just a different form.

I have to admit that I sometimes tease my wife about the spelling differences. I'll purposefully pronounce "centre" as "sentry" or "colour" as "col-hour" and while that's fun to do, nothing insulting is meant by it.

My wife virtually NEVER says "eh"..... but I do, a lot now that I think about it :blush:

I imagine that Americans living and working in Canada get much the same treatment when they mispell or mispronounce words according to Canadian standards. I wouldn't think much of it myself, it is the manner in which words are spelled and pronounced in that country, so technically they are right and no matter how much you insist, you would be the one butchering it :P

I haven't changed how I spell or pronounce words. I've never been corrected, but then again, Canadians are more accustomed to seeing and hearing American English than Americans are to seeing and hearing Canadian English.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have to admit that I sometimes tease my wife about the spelling differences. I'll purposefully pronounce "centre" as "sentry" or "colour" as "col-hour" and while that's fun to do, nothing insulting is meant by it.

My mother hated it when I pronounced it the same way growing up as a kid. I still always said then why not just spell enter as entre?

Now here's something I have come across and not sure if it's a regional thing or just certain states or if it's a distinctive US/Canadian thing:

When you're talking to someone and you are describing the spot directly diagonal across the intersection how do you say it?

I've always said Kitty Corner. I hear a lot of people saying Katty Corner...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.