LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Having been an American who had just moved to Canada, I was at a dinner party mingling when I asked a woman where she was from in Canada. She replied that she was from Windsor, Ontario and so I asked nicely where that was because I really didn't know. Her reply was rude as she went on to tell me, in front of a few others, that it was only the most southern point in Canada and she wasn't surprised that I didn't know because Americans never bother to learn geography, blah, blah, blah... The funny thing is that within 30 seconds, she went on to tell me about how she knew the U.S. so well because she had traveled there extensively and that Baja California was her favorite part. I was like, "Baja California? That's in Mexico!" Karma was quick in that instance. It still makes me laugh to this day!

Dalene, that boorish Canuck was most assuredly WRONG! Let me apologize on behalf of all Canadians, the poor woman probably had to reschedule her enema and wasn't thinking clearly. :P The southernmost point in Canada is Middle Island which sits between Point Pelee Island, ON (southernmost inhabited part of Canada, just off the shore of Point Pelee) and Sandusky, OH. It is about 100m from the border, which sits in Lake Erie. Windsor is up North, somewhere near Baffin Island I think. :lol: Some Americans know quite a bit about geography and some don't; just ask President Obama if he ever heard of the Gulf of Tonkin. :wow: (What? Too cynical?)

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Having been an American who had just moved to Canada, I was at a dinner party mingling when I asked a woman where she was from in Canada. She replied that she was from Windsor, Ontario and so I asked nicely where that was because I really didn't know. Her reply was rude as she went on to tell me, in front of a few others, that it was only the most southern point in Canada and she wasn't surprised that I didn't know because Americans never bother to learn geography, blah, blah, blah... The funny thing is that within 30 seconds, she went on to tell me about how she knew the U.S. so well because she had traveled there extensively and that Baja California was her favorite part. I was like, "Baja California? That's in Mexico!" Karma was quick in that instance. It still makes me laugh to this day!

Dalene, that boorish Canuck was most assuredly WRONG! Let me apologize on behalf of all Canadians, the poor woman probably had to reschedule her enema and wasn't thinking clearly. :P The southernmost point in Canada is Middle Island which sits between Point Pelee Island, ON (southernmost inhabited part of Canada, just off the shore of Point Pelee) and Sandusky, OH. It is about 100m from the border, which sits in Lake Erie. Windsor is up North, somewhere near Baffin Island I think. :lol: Some Americans know quite a bit about geography and some don't; just ask President Obama if he ever heard of the Gulf of Tonkin. :wow: (What? Too cynical?)

Darn! That would have been an even better reply had I known. I may see her in the future at some other gathering and perhaps I'll point that out. :devil: All the other Canadians I have met are quite nice, so even though it was an early experience here, I chalked it up to her strange, individual personality. I mean, who tries to insult someone right after they meet them, anyway? My geography knowledge isn't really that bad, I swear!

Edited by Dalene

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I got laughed at pretty hard at work when I asked if "we had any elastics"..... they're rubber bands down here!!!!!

You can't call a shopping cart a "buggy" here either.

And when I say "I was pissed".... I don't mean I was mad!!!!!!

And I MISS TIM HORTON'S SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! Why aren't there any here????????

There are Tim Hortons in 11 or 12 states, unfortunately you would have to move towards the east coast to be close to them.

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/locator/index.html

Yeah but they aren't the same, nothing in the U.S., virtually (food and drink) is the same as it is in Canada.

That is one thing my fiance will definitely miss is his double double and fruit explosion muffin. He has found a suitable replacement in Dunkin Donuts though, still no fruit explosion though. I do quite a bit of travelling through the states and stop at a Tim's when I can since I love it to now!

P.S.

Thank you all for the huge, tears rolling down my face, fall on the floor laugh!! I really needed it!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

My fiance lived in Canada for 2 and a half years and spent the whole time telling us that pop was soda, zee was zed and even went so far as to help the kids with spelling....colour had no U according to him. I didn't let him help the kids with spelling homework after that. So I really don't get the "Canadians are supposed to change to accomadate the Americans thing when I know for a fact they wouldn't change for us". My neice married an American as well, they live in Canada...he hasn't changed either.

I've been in Canada for over a year now and I say the following: soda, zee, sneakers and I don't add any U's to words that wouldn't normally have them in American English.

Do you know why I don't? Because the American sayings/spellings aren't seen as "weird" in Canada. If I say "zee" then everyone knows what I'm talking about. It's the same with "soda." Unless I was writing some sort of official/legally binding document, I wouldn't spell "color" as "colour" (or anything similar) because there would be no need to do so.

My wife told me that it's common for Canadians to use a mix of both American and British English. I can see she was right. I've even met Canadians who say "zee" instead of "zed." There's virtually no reason for me to change since Canada seems to acknowledge both.

Haha, silly woman with her geography rant.

As someone else pointed out: the southern-most point of Canada (attached to land) is Point Pelee, in Leamington, ON. But Pelee Island is just south of that as well. Guess she snoozed during Geography class just as much as I did! :dance:

Something random that always gets me the :blink: face: What does everyone call American Express?

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

My fiance lived in Canada for 2 and a half years and spent the whole time telling us that pop was soda, zee was zed and even went so far as to help the kids with spelling....colour had no U according to him. I didn't let him help the kids with spelling homework after that. So I really don't get the "Canadians are supposed to change to accomadate the Americans thing when I know for a fact they wouldn't change for us". My neice married an American as well, they live in Canada...he hasn't changed either.

I've been in Canada for over a year now and I say the following: soda, zee, sneakers and I don't add any U's to words that wouldn't normally have them in American English.

Do you know why I don't? Because the American sayings/spellings aren't seen as "weird" in Canada. If I say "zee" then everyone knows what I'm talking about. It's the same with "soda." Unless I was writing some sort of official/legally binding document, I wouldn't spell "color" as "colour" (or anything similar) because there would be no need to do so.

My wife told me that it's common for Canadians to use a mix of both American and British English. I can see she was right. I've even met Canadians who say "zee" instead of "zed." There's virtually no reason for me to change since Canada seems to acknowledge both.

Thank you - you've covered my point entirely sir

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

so, i was in Kentucky for the summer and the county magistrate was friends with the family i was staying with. He comes to me one day with a roll of wrapping paper and says " now, Melissa i would like you to take this to your president when you go back home. You tell him that America finds this unacceptable, for the price of this paper to be 3.49 in America and 6.89 in Canada."

yes, ladies and gentlemen he was completely serious about me taking this roll of paper and handing it to my " president" like he lives next door to me or something.

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Timeline
Something random that always gets me the :blink: face: What does everyone call American Express?

I've always either called it American Express or Amex.

My father has a very snide and sarcastic sense of humor. Since I have been pointing out to him Canadian holidays and generally my wife will explain them to him, he now asks what the "Canadian equivalent" is for every holiday. I wouldn't normally think it a bad thing, but this is my father and I know there is some punchline down the line. So after I explained to him about Canadian Thanksgiving, he asks me about Canadian Christmas :blink: I know he was joking, and have finally convinced my wife that he was too, but I am dreading when my inlaws meet my parents.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As someone else pointed out: the southern-most point of Canada (attached to land) is Point Pelee, in Leamington, ON. But Pelee Island is just south of that as well. Guess she snoozed during Geography class just as much as I did! :dance:

Amex.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

This isnt really weird, just appalling, so we might as well laugh...

The Border Patrol officer who gave me a secundary interview at customs in Texas asked me what currency we use in Canada!!

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Amex.

I call it AMEX too. And, my old company had them as a client and they call themselves AMEX for short too. But saying American Express is not wrong either.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

The Border Patrol officer who gave me a secundary interview at customs in Texas asked me what currency we use in Canada!!

That's easy: beaver pelts. Everyone knows that! :D

Timeline

Wow, I've been called many things in my life, but never someone else. :lol:

I call it American Express or AMEX.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Um no it's canadian tire money duh. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I had to explain we still rely on the good old bartering system

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.