• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Scott are you DPX in disguise? :lol:

:rofl:

So funny because you'd swear it was him.

Who the hell is Scott? And why is he trying to mimic my routine? :blink:

We thought you started a new profile and renamed yourself Scott. :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We thought you started a new profile and renamed yourself Scott. :lol:

If I made a second profile, I'd have it start a fight with me. That way I could argue both sides! B)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
:lol: Long time no see, DPX! Don't worry, we haven't missed you too much, as there is a new member that's acting totally like you :lol: It's like you never left LOL

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Long story short:

-A person posts a derogatory comment about Americans

-As an American myself, I defend the peanut brained receptionist and flame the poster

-Then a couple of self righteous Canadians basically say "how dare you post flames on here"

You guys feel free to let me know what I missed.

I personally found the original insult more derogatory against receptionists. Won't anyone think of receptionists everywhere, and defend them?!?!?

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Long story short:

-A person posts a derogatory comment about Americans

-As an American myself, I defend the peanut brained receptionist and flame the poster

-Then a couple of self righteous Canadians basically say "how dare you post flames on here"

You guys feel free to let me know what I missed.

So you aver that the cranial vault of the receptionist does in fact contain a peanut. Is that correct? :whistle:

You forgot the next line in the script. "Hey, Scott. Welcome to my DeadPoolX."

maybe we should have a hockey game to settle this? :unsure:

Don't be silly, Americans don't know how to play hockey. :innocent:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
maybe we should have a hockey game to settle this? :unsure:

Don't be silly, Americans don't know how to play hockey. :innocent:

shhhh i'm stacking the deck. ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

My fiance lived in Canada for 2 and a half years and spent the whole time telling us that pop was soda, zee was zed and even went so far as to help the kids with spelling....colour had no U according to him. I didn't let him help the kids with spelling homework after that. So I really don't get the "Canadians are supposed to change to accomadate the Americans thing when I know for a fact they wouldn't change for us". My neice married an American as well, they live in Canada...he hasn't changed either.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Timeline

Having been an American who had just moved to Canada, I was at a dinner party mingling when I asked a woman where she was from in Canada. She replied that she was from Windsor, Ontario and so I asked nicely where that was because I really didn't know. Her reply was rude as she went on to tell me, in front of a few others, that it was only the most southern point in Canada and she wasn't surprised that I didn't know because Americans never bother to learn geography, blah, blah, blah... The funny thing is that within 30 seconds, she went on to tell me about how she knew the U.S. so well because she had traveled there extensively and that Baja California was her favorite part. I was like, "Baja California? That's in Mexico!" Karma was quick in that instance. It still makes me laugh to this day!

Timeline
Having been an American who had just moved to Canada, I was at a dinner party mingling when I asked a woman where she was from in Canada. She replied that she was from Windsor, Ontario and so I asked nicely where that was because I really didn't know. Her reply was rude as she went on to tell me, in front of a few others, that it was only the most southern point in Canada and she wasn't surprised that I didn't know because Americans never bother to learn geography, blah, blah, blah... The funny thing is that within 30 seconds, she went on to tell me about how she knew the U.S. so well because she had traveled there extensively and that Baja California was her favorite part. I was like, "Baja California? That's in Mexico!" Karma was quick in that instance. It still makes me laugh to this day!

:lol:

nice!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

My husband gives me the geography rant. Then I ask him something about geography of the US and he doesn't know. SO THERE!

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

That was like a few months ago my coworker seemed offended that I knew nothing about NJ prior to living here. I didn't know the capital or anything and she just seemed put off so I asked her what the capital of Ontario was and had no idea. :lol:

That felt awesome. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

My fiance lived in Canada for 2 and a half years and spent the whole time telling us that pop was soda, zee was zed and even went so far as to help the kids with spelling....colour had no U according to him. I didn't let him help the kids with spelling homework after that. So I really don't get the "Canadians are supposed to change to accomadate the Americans thing when I know for a fact they wouldn't change for us". My neice married an American as well, they live in Canada...he hasn't changed either.

Don't judge every american this way please. I think that too many people on this board are quick to assume any comment or tease made by an American is stupidity or is made from an intent to be mean. So many of the things you have quoted americans as saying to you that you call ignorance, sounds to me like they're trying to kid around with you. Do you really think they're being serious?

I love the differences I find in the things my hubby says and what we say here in Wisconsin. We are from a "soda" region, but I call it "pop" (whenever remember to.) I say Zed occasionally, it's more fun than Zee and I love to say it at work and make my co-workers notice. I make poutine every so often to remind him of home. I started putting malt vinegar on my fries when he does (which isn't really Canadian, I know, but I learned it from him and I'm just adding it cuz I want to). And we pick up some Timmies coffee (and hot chocolate for my son) whenever we visit, even though we are both Starbucks addicts.

Anyway, I share these things with friends and co-workers and have not received the same type of responses people write about on this board. People are genuinely interested, amused and curious. They are not morons because they haven't been to Canada and aren't aware of all the little nuances that are different.

And now a word from wiki (just to beat a dead horse)

In many dialects of English, the letter's name is zed, pronounced /ˈzɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta (see below). In American English, its name is zee /ˈziː/, deriving from a late 17th century English dialectal form.[1] Another English dialectal form is izzard /ˈɪzərd/, which dates from the mid-18th century and probably derives from the French et zède "and z".[2] Other Indo-European languages pronounce the letter's name in a similar fashion, such as zet in Dutch, German, Romanian and Czech, zède in French, zæt in Danish, zäta in Swedish, zeta in Italian and in Spanish dialects with seseo, and in Portuguese.

In Chinese (Mandarin) pinyin the name of the letter Z is pronounced [tsɛ], although the English zed and zee have become very common.

In the Philippines, it is quite common to hear people pronounce the name of the letter Z as "zay" rhyming with "say".

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.