LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

Instead of a poll let's do some research and find out what percentage of Canadians travel to the United States compared to the percentage of Americans that travel to Canada. The point being that the numbers weigh heavily in favor of the average American having no idea what you are talking about if you say "zed", while on the same hand the average Canadian knows that Americans use "zee". This same type of mentality is used by those French-Canadians that expect everyone in the world that dares to visit Quebec, to speak and understand French.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Instead of a poll let's do some research and find out what percentage of Canadians travel to the United States compared to the percentage of Americans that travel to Canada. The point being that the numbers weigh heavily in favor of the average American having no idea what you are talking about if you say "zed", while on the same hand the average Canadian knows that Americans use "zee". This same type of mentality is used by those French-Canadians that expect everyone in the world that dares to visit Quebec, to speak and understand French.

Are we bitter at all? :lol:

I would think it has very little to do with actually travelling to the U.S. - I don't know if you are the Canadian or the American Scott - what are the odds that if you are visiting the U.S. that you would hear the word Zee? I think it has more to do with the fact that we get a lot of American television up here.

Also - 'those French-Canadians' you speak of are 'our' French Canadians and while, for some of us they are like an annoying Brother or Sister - they are OUR Brothers and Sisters and it's not nice to insult someone elses family.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

Mmmm.. stereotypes for breakfast!

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

I would think it has very little to do with actually travelling to the U.S. - I don't know if you are the Canadian or the American Scott - what are the odds that if you are visiting the U.S. that you would hear the word Zee? I think it has more to do with the fact that we get a lot of American television up here.

Also - 'those French-Canadians' you speak of are 'our' French Canadians and while, for some of us they are like an annoying Brother or Sister - they are OUR Brothers and Sisters and it's not nice to insult someone elses family.

I'm the American and I apologize if you feel that I insulted your fellow countrymen but could you point out what I said that was insulting? That being said, did it ever occur to you that one of your fellow countrymen insulted at least one of MY brothers/sisters by saying the person encountered must have a brain the size of a peanut? Perhaps the same ire you feel for me simply commenting on a well known habit of Quebecers, is the same ire that I have been talking about this whole time. Introspection -- think about it.

Timeline

I'm the American and I apologize if you feel that I insulted your fellow countrymen but could you point out what I said that was insulting? That being said, did it ever occur to you that one of your fellow countrymen insulted at least one of MY brothers/sisters by saying the person encountered must have a brain the size of a peanut? Perhaps the same ire you feel for me simply commenting on a well known habit of Quebecers, is the same ire that I have been talking about this whole time. Introspection -- think about it.

Why are you such a bitter, hateful person?

event.png

Timeline

OK, so let me see if I got this right...a Canadian visits America, speaks a language unfamiliar to the American (Greek), the Canadian then goes to a forum where she states the person she encountered must have a brain the size of a peanut, I chime in to defend the American by noting the correlation between the English speaking Canadian and French speaking Canadians, yet you say that it is me that is bitter and hateful. As a web site dedicated to helping people immigrate to the United States I would think that the forum member would say the bitter, hateful person is the person that insulted the American by saying she had a brain the size of a peanut. I am actually not bitter and hateful, I sincerely apologized, I simply asked that you look at the facts and ask yourselves who indeed is the bitter person.

Timeline

Word, Trailmix!

Ca c'est vrai...

;)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

OK, so let me see if I got this right...a Canadian visits America, speaks a language unfamiliar to the American (Greek), the Canadian then goes to a forum where she states the person she encountered must have a brain the size of a peanut, I chime in to defend the American by noting the correlation between the English speaking Canadian and French speaking Canadians, yet you say that it is me that is bitter and hateful. As a web site dedicated to helping people immigrate to the United States I would think that the forum member would say the bitter, hateful person is the person that insulted the American by saying she had a brain the size of a peanut. I am actually not bitter and hateful, I sincerely apologized, I simply asked that you look at the facts and ask yourselves who indeed is the bitter person.

By the way - I'm American, I am not Canadian.

I'm not sure who said anything about a brain the size of a peanut, but if you took that personally, then hey, nothing I can do about that.

However, Canadians don't speak Greek. They call a single letter in the alphabet by the greek way of pronunciation. Soo.. yeah.

event.png

Timeline

Well, I thought the peanut comment was rude too, there does that make you feel better? The thing is, there is a right way and a wrong way to say something - you just sling insults to get your point across and that, honestly, doesn't work very well here - or anywhere.

I don't want to think about introspection.

Timeline
We were at a car dealership the other day on a car search. The salesman asked if there'd be a trade-in. I said yes if we get a good price for it so he asked me what it was. I said "A ZX2." He said "How do you spell that?" I said "Z. X. 2." :unsure: He went :blink: . My husband looked up and said "Zee X2." :lol:

When I get the blank stare after saying 'zed'.....I now add...oh that's right, youre American...you say 'zee'.

As a Canadian - why is it that I can be flexible if someone says either? not to pick, but why is it that every American receptionist I deal with has a brain the size of a peanut? Guess they've never been further then around the corner to the mall???????

Yah - I'm generalizing - but not a word of a lie, I always have to repeat it - they NEVER get it the first time

Fair enough about the pronunciation of the letter, to each his own.

For your review...and I quote "every American receptionist I deal with has a brain the size of a peanut? Guess they've never been further then (should be 'than' by the way) around the corner to the mall". Yet you rail against me, saying I am bitter and hateful. Yet you accuse me of insulting Quebecers. You are right in one thing that if I am offended, there is nothing you can do about that, however, you were quick to come to the defense of Quebec when you felt offended by what I said. All I ask for is equality in flames.

Edited by Sc0tt28

Timeline
We were at a car dealership the other day on a car search. The salesman asked if there'd be a trade-in. I said yes if we get a good price for it so he asked me what it was. I said "A ZX2." He said "How do you spell that?" I said "Z. X. 2." :unsure: He went :blink: . My husband looked up and said "Zee X2." :lol:

When I get the blank stare after saying 'zed'.....I now add...oh that's right, youre American...you say 'zee'.

As a Canadian - why is it that I can be flexible if someone says either? not to pick, but why is it that every American receptionist I deal with has a brain the size of a peanut? Guess they've never been further then around the corner to the mall???????

Yah - I'm generalizing - but not a word of a lie, I always have to repeat it - they NEVER get it the first time

For your review...and I quote "every American receptionist I deal with has a brain the size of a peanut? Guess they've never been further then (should be 'than' by the way) around the corner to the mall". Yet you rail against me, saying I am bitter and hateful. Yet you accuse me of insulting Quebecers. You are right in one thing that if I am offended, there is nothing you can do about that, however, you were quick to come to the defense of Quebec when you felt offended by what I said. All I ask for is equality in flames.

I think you're confusing whomever you're responding to. I have never defended Quebec. Yes, I did say you are bitter and hateful and your posts come across that way.

event.png

Timeline
Fair enough about the pronunciation of the letter, to each his own.

It was me who defended Quebec, well actually I wasn't defending Que. I think they can take care of themselves.

You see Scott, when you do a ####### for tat exchange, expect a little flaming. As I said, the peanut comment was rude, what you said was rude - so I guess what you are really complaining about is unequal critisism of posts.

Well geez, we are just posters, not the ####### for tat posts complaints department.

Timeline

*ahem*

Can't we all just get along???

~ We are the world

We are the children

We are the ones who make a brighter day

So let's start giving

There's a choice we're making

We're saving our own lives

It's true we'll make a better day

Just you and meeeeeeeeee ~

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:huh:

ummmmm.... I have a good stupid thing I've said. On Sunday I asked my husband and my FIL if there was water in the Grand Canyon :D

Timeline

I think you're confusing whomever you're responding to. I have never defended Quebec. Yes, I did say you are bitter and hateful and your posts come across that way.

In what way have my posts come across as bitter and hateful? That I would ask that the facts be reviewed? In your defense, I have responded to replies as though they have all come from the same person. I was not confused, I was actually doing that on purpose because everyone seems to have the same opinion in that, for me to defend the peanut brained receptionist is somehow wrong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.