LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has been added to the thread yet but here it goes:

Hubby calls to order pizza...."I'd like to order a jumbo pizza with light sauce, italian sausage, pepperoni, extra cheese and tomatoes on one side"...

Pizza guy, "which side do you want the cheese on, left or right?"

Hubby, "huh?"

lol....my son said, "when you get the pizza, open it up turn the pizza around and tell them that they put it on the wrong side...you want your money back!"

Too funny! NEVER have I been asked that in Canada!

:blink: I don't get it....

Haha me either. I'm guessing they want everything but the tomatoes on both sides and then the tomatoes on only one side??

yes....but why does it matter if its on the left or right side...pizza's are round...if you spin it the toppings will go from the left to the right side. even on a square pizza that would happen :lol:

that is EXACTLY my point! lol....what DOES it matter???

effective May 13, 2011 - back in Canada, journey is over

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband always calls provinces: PROVIDENCES. :lol:

Hubby calls "espresso" expresso. *sigh*

You should shoot him. However if you don't want to go to jail you should just leave him in Canada when you go back to the States.

I correct him every time, but I have thought about leaving him in the middle of Saskatoon prior to moving south.

:D

I don't think that would be any sort of punishment at all! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Id love to be dropped off in Sasaktoon,lol of course my parents live there,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I'd love to be dropped off there, too, and I don't know anyone who lives there! lol

:lol:

I don't really want to be dropped off there because then I would have to drive all the way back to Calgary :hehe:

I got laughed at pretty hard at work when I asked if "we had any elastics"..... they're rubber bands down here!!!!!

You can't call a shopping cart a "buggy" here either.

And when I say "I was pissed".... I don't mean I was mad!!!!!!

And I MISS TIM HORTON'S SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! Why aren't there any here????????

I was appalled when my English husband asked me for an eraser - only it was, "Do you have a rubber I can use?"

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NOA2: 2010-03-05

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Timeline
I got laughed at pretty hard at work when I asked if "we had any elastics"..... they're rubber bands down here!!!!!

I was appalled when my English husband asked me for an eraser - only it was, "Do you have a rubber I can use?"

:rofl:

That's like "elastic" and "rubber-band".

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
I have never said Zed but I know the two are used. I just asked my coworkers and they had no idea what zed was and they have never heard of it. They all looked at me funny... :lol:

Wasn't Zed a character in the movie Men In Black???? :jest: :jest: :rofl: :rofl: :whistle:

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, Pop still bugs me for a torch when it's dark outside. I keep wondering if he wants to burn down Castle Frankenstein. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

This thread makes me laugh! Before we got married I also heard the warnings of "make sure he isn't just trying to get a green card." Because you know about all those Canadians...trying to sneak across the border into the US. The best, though, was after I got back from a trip to Winnipeg a coworker said to me "they don't have roads in Canada, right?" I'm sure I gave him the deer-in-the-headlights look for a minute before saying "...nope...no they don't." him: "Ahhh...that makes sense...because it's too cold to have roads" me: "yeah...they have to just use snowmobiles everywhere they go...until it gets cold enough that the gas freezes. Then they use their dogsleds." :jest:

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

the first time i heard that, a british army officer asked a female us army officer for one.....the look on her face was priceless!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Again yesterday at work I was saying I have to go to the bank and I really don't want to because it's about 34 degrees outside due to this Canadian cold front blasting us now.

My coworker said "But you're from Canada". Again I had to remind her and everyone else that just because I'm from somewhere doesn't make me naturally immune to cold freaking weather. I told her yes, and I couldn't stand the weather or climate when I lived there. And then had to remind her that I used to go hiking in Arizona and Nevada and Californian deserts in summertime all the time in my jeans and black tee shirt.

Just because I'm from Canada does NOT make me like cold, like skiing, like snow, like hockey or anything else winter related. I'm sorry my perfect temps are in the low to mid 80's. I don't shrivel up though when it's over 100 and will still enjoy going outside (especially in the west away from the humidity which I do not like).

Ugh this just irratates me when people just assume you love the cold...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
Again yesterday at work I was saying I have to go to the bank and I really don't want to because it's about 34 degrees outside due to this Canadian cold front blasting us now.

It is kind of funny if you think about it :lol:

The thing is the longer you live in a colder climate, the more adjusted to it you become - same with heat of course. Now logically, once you leave that climate for a different one for a year or more, you tend to get used to your new climate - however that's logic :lol:

Plus people probably think that if Canadians didn't LOVE the cold, they would just move, either not realizing that A. There is no place in Canada that isnt cold in the winter or B. We would just all move to California.

I also don't think there is any such thing as an 'Alberta Clipper' and you cannot blame your cold weather on us - we have no control over it and if you must blame an area - blame Alaska :hehe:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.