LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

My husband was born and raised in Chicago, and I know everyone from there seems to adore the deep dish pizza. We had one when we were dating up there, and I just about choked on the cheese and stuffing which was far too much for me.

St. Louis makes a very thin crust, which we like, and they use provel cheese. Gene isn't a big fan of provel, but I love it.

I had pizza twice in Ontario when I was just there, and seems like no matter where you get it, they have an array of crusts, thin...thick...whole wheat...whatever you want. The choices are much greater than any places here.

Pizza is SO individual!

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

:blink:

Wow. You did know that you were in the Canada Forum, didn't you? The OT Forum is thataway ------------------>

I correct him every time, but I have thought about leaving him in the middle of Saskatoon prior to moving south.

:D

:lol:

iagree.gif

My mom's Canadian, but she calls a treadmill a "THREADmill". Yesterday she called and said "You want to go to the gym a bit before yoga and get on the threadmill?" and I said "Yeah, you gonna thread a needle on your threadmill?"

I noticed this THread (lol) is also about stupid questions you've asked to Americans. Well one day my future MIL was taking about how her daughter is training the cats to go on the "commode". After her long story I asked "What's a commode?" She thought I was joking until she saw the look on my face and said "It's a toilet".

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So maybe it is you that has the "brain the size of a peanut" because you go to the states where you know that people say "zee" and not "zed" and yet you repeatedly use a word that is unfamiliar to Americans. I guess it would take a person with a brain bigger than a peanut to just start out saying "zee" when in the United States.

So I take it you use 'zee' when in the U.S. then Scott?

Ok that was a cheap shot - nah, what the hell, you deserved that :lol:

On another note, I wouldn't expect any American to identify the word zee.

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Zee discussion is over children. :lol: Scott I sense some hostility, care to discuss?

Nah I just haven't been on VJ for a while and I got myself caught up on the old posts. It just ticks me off when people point a finger at someone else and say "this person must be stupid because they don't understand what I mean when I say 'zed'" when the person isn't stupid at all but rather the person speaking a language that is foreign to both -- Greek.

The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The point made a few times was that Canadians adjust if someone says 'zee' up in Canada, but sometimes you run into Americans who can't adjust and have hear what they're used to.

Wonder how many Americans start saying 'zed' when they move to Canada - shall we take a poll?

Yeah a poll!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya, if you want to speak English go to England. In America we speak American. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
I have always said Zee. Because it rhymes with Vee... to go with the alphabet song...

:lol:

Tomato - tomahto

I'm a Zee man myself. Oh, and it isn't pronounced tomahto, it's pronounced Boobie. :devil:

IR5

Timeline

I have never said Zed but I know the two are used. I just asked my coworkers and they had no idea what zed was and they have never heard of it. They all looked at me funny... :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I have never said Zed but I know the two are used. I just asked my coworkers and they had no idea what zed was and they have never heard of it. They all looked at me funny... :lol:

Ok, i'm going to start a real poll aboot this.

Timeline

Ok, i'm going to start a real poll aboot this.

Jeez no eh.

IR5

Timeline
American in Canada - I say "zee".

and hopefully you're understood :) I'll smack any Cdn who makes a big deal - you just tell me their name - I probably know them :) lol

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
American in Canada - I say "zee".

and hopefully you're understood :) I'll smack any Cdn who makes a big deal - you just tell me their name - I probably know them :) lol

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but always a weird look.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.