LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Pop is an interjection, dammit! IT'S SODA.

Pop is what some people call their dad... So I'm going to drink my dad?? EWWWWWWW that's just wrong. Soda all the way!

In some areas of Southern US, they call all drinks Coke then ask what flavor. :huh:

I'm from the South, I know all about Coke. ;)

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was a Guelph thing, didn't live in Windsor until College and that's when I noticed Canadians pronouncing it as Zed instead of Z.

I've lived in Guelph almost my whole life and I say "Zed". My daughter had to do a vision screening test here in California for school in August, and when she read the Z's she said "Zed" and the person marked her wrong for every one. If she had failed the vision test I would have said something but she passed even having been marked wrong for the Z's.

On another note, I was wedding dress shopping last month at David's Bridal in Modesto and was waiting for one of their salespeople to help me. She was taking a long time so I asked the greeter where the washroom was. The woman looked really confused and said "the what...?". I said "washroom". There was an awkward moment and she said "I don't understand....". Then my daughter said "THE TOILET". To which she responded "Oh... the RESTROOMS... they are through that hall on your left." Wow. :blink:

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually it was a Guelph thing, didn't live in Windsor until College and that's when I noticed Canadians pronouncing it as Zed instead of Z.

I've lived in Guelph almost my whole life and I say "Zed". My daughter had to do a vision screening test here in California for school in August, and when she read the Z's she said "Zed" and the person marked her wrong for every one. If she had failed the vision test I would have said something but she passed even having been marked wrong for the Z's.

On another note, I was wedding dress shopping last month at David's Bridal in Modesto and was waiting for one of their salespeople to help me. She was taking a long time so I asked the greeter where the washroom was. The woman looked really confused and said "the what...?". I said "washroom". There was an awkward moment and she said "I don't understand....". Then my daughter said "THE TOILET". To which she responded "Oh... the RESTROOMS... they are through that hall on your left." Wow. :blink:

That one gets me.... is it hard to figure out what we mean when we say washroom? Bathroom, restroom, etc. they all end in room, and washroom makes more sense because you wash up after. I don't go to the toilet to rest, thank you very much! Restroom makes less sense to me

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That one gets me.... is it hard to figure out what we mean when we say washroom? Bathroom, restroom, etc. they all end in room, and washroom makes more sense because you wash up after. I don't go to the toilet to rest, thank you very much! Restroom makes less sense to me

Totally. If someone asks for the restroom here, I know what they're saying. To me, bathrooms should have a bath in them, but I use either washroom or bathroom. I bathe my hands, dontcha know.

I think this thread could go on endlessly. It is a constant source of amusement.

But I have to say, there is really no "better" -- we could call automobiles "salamanders" and that would be fine, except that an outside would look at us like #######.

So debating coke/pop/soda/fizzy drink is kind of like debating coke vs pepsi. regional flavour is human diversity and that's what makes us interesting organisms.

I will always cleave to British spellings. I think I enjoy defying my computer's spell checker :whistle:

Timeline

Fun link to read regarding Soda vs Pop vs Coke vs Fizzy Drink vs Ginger vs Lolly Water

http://tastyresearch.com/2006/10/05/pop-vs-soda-vs-coke/ and another one at http://www.popvssoda.com/

Edited by Greg - Andrea

Greg / Andrea

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate: Vancouver, CA

I-129 F Timeline

2009/06/17 - I-129F Sent

2009/06/18 - I-129F NOA1

2009/06/18 - Check Posted

2009/06/22 - I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy

2009/09/15 - In pre-adjudication area (not certain what this means but it sounds good)

I don't know if this has been added to the thread yet but here it goes:

Hubby calls to order pizza...."I'd like to order a jumbo pizza with light sauce, italian sausage, pepperoni, extra cheese and tomatoes on one side"...

Pizza guy, "which side do you want the cheese on, left or right?"

Hubby, "huh?"

lol....my son said, "when you get the pizza, open it up turn the pizza around and tell them that they put it on the wrong side...you want your money back!"

Too funny! NEVER have I been asked that in Canada!

effective May 13, 2011 - back in Canada, journey is over

Timeline

Hubby calls to order pizza...."I'd like to order a jumbo pizza with light sauce, italian sausage, pepperoni, extra cheese and tomatoes on one side"...

Hubby, "huh?"

lol....my son said, "when you get the pizza, open it up turn the pizza around and tell them that they put it on the wrong side...you want your money back!"

omg lol!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Timeline

:lol: I had that happen so many times that it finally sunk into my head. Now I just ask where the ladies room is. lol

Hubby, "huh?"

:blink: That would make me super confused. lol. I love what your son said. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Pop is an interjection, dammit! IT'S SODA.

Pop is what some people call their dad... So I'm going to drink my dad?? EWWWWWWW that's just wrong. Soda all the way!

In some areas of Southern US, they call all drinks Coke then ask what flavor. :huh:

I'm from the South, I know all about Coke. ;)

I posted this a long while back. But here is the Pop vs. Soda controversy and the regions of the country that say "pop" or "coke" or "soda".

This is pretty accurate as we had that debate at work here for our christmas party last year. Someone mentined to bring Pop and someone said what's that you mean soda. A huge inter-company email debate insued (it was hysterical) and finally someone found the GIS maps (better then this one, but can't find the original) to say it depends on what area of the country you were brought up.

Being in Colorado, we have so many transplants from every state (Texas, California and lots of mid-west and east coast) that it's a massive mix on what people call it. This is why in the map for Denver, it's both...

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Update, the good map is on that page, below the other one

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Hubby, "huh?"

:blink: I don't get it....

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Hubby, "huh?"

Haha me either. I'm guessing they want everything but the tomatoes on both sides and then the tomatoes on only one side??

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Hubby, "huh?"

Haha me either. I'm guessing they want everything but the tomatoes on both sides and then the tomatoes on only one side??

Really?? you haven't heard of that? If one person wants one thing & the other person doesn't, you just ask for half the pizza with that topping.

effective May 13, 2011 - back in Canada, journey is over

Timeline

Hubby, "huh?"

yes....but why does it matter if its on the left or right side...pizza's are round...if you spin it the toppings will go from the left to the right side. even on a square pizza that would happen :lol:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

On the pop/soda subject, I call it pop.

When I ordered pizza today, it came with 4 of them and they called it pop on the website.

I'm TRYING to get used to calling it soda.

Everytime I say "pop" to an american they're like "What...?"

It just seems too weird to say soda to me.

And I've been saying "Zee" forever instead of "Zed". It rhymes better with the other letters.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

hehehe I throw a monkey wrench into the pop/soda debate - I call them soft drinks!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.