LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

I purposefully say "pop", since I know it annoys my fiance so much. :P "It's soooooooda."

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I purposefully say "pop", since I know it annoys my fiance so much. :P "It's soooooooda."

It would annoy me more to use the incorrect term than it would satisfy me to needly my wife :P

Timeline
He was pissed that this guy knew how to speak English but refused to do it in a English speaking city and province. Sorry for knocking on the french, but this previous post reminded me of that...

It's incidents like those that give the French-Canadians a bad name. I was once at a service area in Quebec when an english-speaking person came in and tried to order something. (I got the impression they were American but I could be wrong.) The employees all pretended that they couldn't understand or speak english, even though they could. I know this because they were talking about it to each other in French (while he was standing there). I ordered for him. So uncalled for.

I work for the government and only speak very limited French which hasn't went over well with a few of the French people I've had to deal with. There aren't many French people where I live (the French population in Alberta isn't exactly booming ;P) but the ones I have dealt with always seemed to be so shocked/upset that I'm not fluent. Many of them request to speak to a French agent. In our office we only have one fluently bilingual agent and if she's busy with someone else they're SOL -- so they have to deal with someone like me who isn't fluent. What gets me is that they speak English perfectly fine, yet they seem so upset they have to deal with me in English. I mean, I know that we have two official languages but like I said -- the French population in my area is almost nonexistant so it's a bit annoying.

/rant ;P

I think I read somewhere that the goverment has a policy that every Canadian has a right to be served by their government in either English or French? In which case, if they prefer to be served in French, they are reacting to not being served in French with annoyance, since it's what they expect. However, it's understandable to me that Alberta wouldn't have a need to serve many French people and thus can get away with hiring not-so-fluent people for front line work. I'm not sure whether Canadian govt in Quebec can get away with hiring French people who are not-so-fluent in English.

It's such a political hot-button. I think bilingualism is a good thing, and I suck for not being able to speak French :hehe:

I started learning sign language when I worked with a woman who is deaf. I think I'd try the same if I spent a lot of time with someone who was native French speaking, even though I struggle with learning verbal languages. I'd probably need immersion.

I still can't get past "soda". I can't understand it. It takes me long seconds before I figure out they aren't talking about Club Soda, Baking Soda... ohhhh. You mean pop (which is also a strange useage, but hey). I have an aversion to saying Soda. I'll say cola, or a brand name.

You're right, it IS a political hot-button ... and you're right, they do have a right to be served in French ... which we give them: "I'm sorry, I'm not fluent in French though my French is passable -- however, you can wait to speak with LadywhospeaksFrench if you're willing". Usually they do not want to wait ... they just deal with someone who speaks English only. I just don't think it is reasonable for them to become angry/annoyed.

And I agree with you about soda ;P I will always, ALWAYS say pop ... if for nothing else but the fact that it confuses some people, haha!

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Timeline

I get the part about providing service in both languages. To a lesser degree, I can understand the need for billingual signs/product labeling. I do not see why this pertains to all of Canada except Quebec, where nothing is in english whatsoever.

Pop is an interjection, dammit! IT'S SODA.

So true.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think if I was French speaking I would be annoyed as well. I'm not sure what part of the Government you work for, Federal or Provincial, but regardless they should have adequate coverage for French. One person speaking French is not sufficient.

Like you, who speaks passable French, some of them may only speak passable English and as you know it's MUCH easier to speak to someone who is fluent, so it must be very frustrating for them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
*high five Rob*

Go Soda!

Well it is derived from soda water :P

Or soda jerk. ;)

hahaha so we could call it "jerk"

not to be confused with jerky.

I still wonder whether someone spilled something on themselves and thus need some soda. I don't drink it anyway.

HA there's actually a wikipedia entry on regional terms for "soft drinks" linkie

The best one is fizzy bubbly (Israel)

Timeline
I think if I was French speaking I would be annoyed as well. I'm not sure what part of the Government you work for, Federal or Provincial, but regardless they should have adequate coverage for French. One person speaking French is not sufficient.

Like you, who speaks passable French, some of them may only speak passable English and as you know it's MUCH easier to speak to someone who is fluent, so it must be very frustrating for them.

According to Statistics Canada, less than 2% of citizens in Alberta speak primarily French. If this is correct, then having only a few people to accomodate them in an office is proper. It seems according to this table that a large proportion of the population is not bilingual

Source: http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement...5/Index-eng.cfm

Timeline

According to Statistics Canada, less than 2% of citizens in Alberta speak primarily French. If this is correct, then having only a few people to accomodate them in an office is proper. It seems according to this table that a large proportion of the population is not bilingual

Source: http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement...5/Index-eng.cfm

I might deal with one person a month who wants to speak French, and I work in a high-volume environment. Even then, they are usually quite understanding and will speak English no problem -- it's only from time to time that a person is insistent about speaking French and causes a fuss. Bear in mind, they will be able to speak to a bilingual agent -- they might just have to wait a few minutes. There are not enough primarily French people in my area to have everyone working in our office fluent in French. Beyond that, there are just not enough bilingual people in this area who want to do my job. We are constantly hiring and "bilingual is an asset" is always on our job postings, but if no one bilingual is applying then what can we do? Bring someone over from Quebec for the one person a month who doesn't want to wait to speak to a bilingual agent? It just bothers me, especially considering that I deal with many people everyday who really struggle with English but they still try -- and then someone who can speak English comes in and is angry that we don't have someone there at their convenience to speak French.

I fully understand that it would be frustrating to the person who speaks French and that they would prefer to communicate in their language -- but at the same time, I fully understand how unrealistic it is to employ only bilingual people in this part of the country. The problem I have is not with bilingualism -- no, I think bilingualism is fantastic and I am always working towards improving my French. I wish that they were more persistent in teaching French in school and that there was more opportunity to work on my French. I just have a problem with people who are not realistic about bilingualism. Alberta is very, very different than any of the eastern provinces and to have the same expectation of bilingualism in Alberta as out east is just not realistic.

Edited by alicjaftw

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Pop is what some people call their dad... So I'm going to drink my dad?? EWWWWWWW that's just wrong. Soda all the way!

In some areas of Southern US, they call all drinks Coke then ask what flavor. :huh:

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Timeline

Pop is what some people call their dad... So I'm going to drink my dad?? EWWWWWWW that's just wrong. Soda all the way!

In some areas of Southern US, they call all drinks Coke then ask what flavor. :huh:

They totally do that in Texas! I was so confused by that the first time I was offered a "Coke" and given Dr. Pepper. I was like ... "Huh? Didn't you say Coke?"

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.