10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm nearing my wedding date. When I was reading the instructions for the I-864 that you are financially responsible for your wife even after divorce. That the I-864 is valid until she becomes a USC or 40 quarters of work. I tend to have negative thoughts (part of my personality) and I am concerned that I might be financially responsible if she becomes sick and knowing health costs are so costly and concerned the hospitals will go after me. Now I have no reason to think that we will get a divorce or she is using me for a GC. I would like to know though what my responsibilities will be though if that did happen. Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

hum, hum..

yes, you will be the one that has to pay.

this is why it's far from being neutral...when things are turning bad...then you are f***ed. y-ou just win the right to pay. and then you will feel abused. Some posters mentionned about misadventures. and the irnoy is that, those ones, they have all signed to say

"i will supposrt her under any circumstances"! but yet, once they are separated..the support is not under any circumstances anymore!

i find that too funny. in fact, they doin't mean what they sign...but they signed it so after it's too late and they are trying at all cost to get rid of what it is a burden at the end.

I don't know from where you future wife is coming, but this is why when you are with a girl from the third world, i think that it's nec. to take time and the sending money game t hat a lot are doing for the philip. girls is a sign of something is not right.

that's my personal opinion.

bc if things are not right, is your girl going to be able to be a big a girl and try to be financially indepedent from you?

maybe you can ask her that you accept to sign that, bc they(iscis) want it, but implicitly, you ask her not to use that right if things turn bad, and she can stay here(in the usa) if she likes, and if she can "afford" or then be back in her country and ,to not depend on you. For you, you are willing to support her as long as she is with you.but if you are sperated you don't see the point of paying for someone you no longer love and share life or no connection.

just a thought abotu how to feel you ok with that process.

Edited by Ginger cat

Marriage: 01-26-2032

homesick: 01-30-2032

Divorce: 10-13-2032

you will stay married for 290 days.

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

Stop with the negative thinking. If you were to get married to a USC and she gets sick you will have to pay as well... we all do. However, if everyone getting married thought the same way, nobody will get married. Ask yourself, "do I love her enough to go through whatever?" the answer should guide you... not us. :star:

I WILL SAY IT LIKE IT IS, DO NOT TAKE MY COMMENTS PERSONALLY

Stop with the negative thinking. If you were to get married to a USC and she gets sick you will have to pay as well... we all do. However, if everyone getting married thought the same way, nobody will get married. Ask yourself, "do I love her enough to go through whatever?" the answer should guide you... not us. :star:

OMG...EXACTLY! I just don't understand how some think!

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm nearing my wedding date. When I was reading the instructions for the I-864 that you are financially responsible for your wife even after divorce. That the I-864 is valid until she becomes a USC or 40 quarters of work. I tend to have negative thoughts (part of my personality) and I am concerned that I might be financially responsible if she becomes sick and knowing health costs are so costly and concerned the hospitals will go after me. Now I have no reason to think that we will get a divorce or she is using me for a GC. I would like to know though what my responsibilities will be though if that did happen. Thank you.

Read the contract on the I-864 form. It explains your obligations as a sponsor.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Ok, your a little misinformed there, some of what you wrote is correct, but your missing some things..

These are the reasons the support stops:

1. She becomes an USC.

2. She completes 40 qtrs of work (usually takes 10 years, but can be longer if she works part time/never works, or qtrs can be added on by work you do (certain cases)

3. She dies, or you die.

4. She ceases to be an LPR and departs the USA.

Now, the only money you are responsible for is "means tested" benefits from a government agency (Fed/State/City).

(for example, food stamps, government housing)

If she applies for them, they will you use your income to judge if she gets them (or the amount), then, if she is allowed to get the benefits, the agency has the right to go after you to pay them back. If you don't, they can sue you for that amount.

It does not mean you have to pay your (wife/x/husband) whatever the poverty level was for your application (actual case of this posted on the site here), nor does it mean you have to pay them anything, you actually pay the government agencies, and only if they request/sue you.

Of course, this is not withstanding any divorce settlements.

Sponsoring someone is a big step, if your in doubt of the intentions of the beneficiary, you should double-check if this for you.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
Now, the only money you are responsible for is "means tested" benefits from a government agency (Fed/State/City).

If she applies for them, they will you use your income to judge if she gets them (or the amount), then, if she is allowed to get the benefits, the agency has the right to go after you to pay them back. If you don't, they can sue you for that amount.

It does not mean you have to pay your (wife/x/husband) whatever the poverty level was for your application (actual case of this posted on the site here), nor does it mean you have to pay them anything, you actually pay the government agencies, and only if they request/sue you.

What you have said seems to be a common understanding of the contract, but I'm not sure it is correct. The form says the following:

What Does Signing the Form I-864 Require Me to do?

If an intending immigrant becomes a permanent resident in the United States based on a Form I-864 that you have signed, then, until your obligations under the Form I-864 terminate, you must:

-- Provide the intending immigrant any support necessary to maintain him or her at an income that is at least 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for his or her household size (100 percent if you are the petitioning sponsor and are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and the person is your husband, wife, unmarried child under 21 years old.)

-- Notify USCIS of any change in your address, within 30 days of the change, by filing Form I-865.

What If I Do Not Fulfill My Obligations?

If you do not provide sufficient support to the person who becomes a permanent resident based on the Form I-864 that you signed, that person may sue you for this support.

These clauses of the contract seem to require much more responsibility than just the means-tested benefits (which are discussed in other clauses of the contract.)

Thank you for your replies. She comes from the Philippines from a middle class family. She has never asked for money during our relationship and has brought her own money to buy her own things here. She has many relatives in my area who will always help her. It has been a rocky relationship at times which gives me some concern for our upcoming marriage though I must stop my negative thinking. Again thank you for all the replies.

What you have said seems to be a common understanding of the contract, but I'm not sure it is correct. The form says the following:

What Does Signing the Form I-864 Require Me to do?

If an intending immigrant becomes a permanent resident in the United States based on a Form I-864 that you have signed, then, until your obligations under the Form I-864 terminate, you must:

-- Provide the intending immigrant any support necessary to maintain him or her at an income that is at least 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for his or her household size (100 percent if you are the petitioning sponsor and are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and the person is your husband, wife, unmarried child under 21 years old.)

-- Notify USCIS of any change in your address, within 30 days of the change, by filing Form I-865.

What If I Do Not Fulfill My Obligations?

If you do not provide sufficient support to the person who becomes a permanent resident based on the Form I-864 that you signed, that person may sue you for this support.

These clauses of the contract seem to require much more responsibility than just the means-tested benefits (which are discussed in other clauses of the contract.)

That is why I put in the divorce settlement clause. That usually covers income/support which is not "means tested".

I was emphasizing the "means tested".

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.