RexT

Joint Bank Account

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee and I opened up a bank account together the last time I went to visit. Could and would that be a good piece of evidence for proof of ongoing relationship, or could/would there be something lurking in the shadows to come back and bite us by doing that? Has anyone done this before? RexT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My fiancee and I opened up a bank account together the last time I went to visit. Could and would that be a good piece of evidence for proof of ongoing relationship, or could/would there be something lurking in the shadows to come back and bite us by doing that? Has anyone done this before? RexT

Well, it is evidence. I think all evidence should be taken in total context. For our interview I brought evidence of sending a regular contribution for family expenses to me finacee. It was never looked at during the interview, but some say it is a bad thing. I can't say for sure, wasn't an issue for us and I would do it again. A bank account is the same thing. If the eveidence you present is heavily financial and nothing else, I suppose it could be considered suspicious, but serious love relationships resulting in marraige involve financial matters, so if what you have done is a "matter-of-course" normal, responsible, adult decision on how to live life together, I think it is a good thing.

I also did not deal with the Bangkok consulate and you should definitely consider the advice of someone more familiar with that consul

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yes..but it's 'evidence' that could potentially throw up a red flag at certain Embassies.

While sharing finances is quite normal for most couples, one of the things considered at the time of the interview is whether or not this relationship is bona-fide and if the intending immigrant is simply looking for a green card. Proof of financial 'support' from the USC could send the wrong message...again, quite dependant on the Embassy/Country you are dealing with.

moving from k-1 filing to discussin

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

hummm, didn't think of that...

We have also opened a joint account, in the country where she lives, however it is only because we intend to throw a "party" before she leaves to come to the US. Basically it's so I can send money and she can pay for the arrangements. Don't think it would be a bad thing. But the more info you can gather on the Consulate the better!

Felipe

Time line

Mar-01-08 Met

July-18-08 Got engaged (inside a plane while flying)

Nov-03-08 I-129F sent

Nov-06-08 I-129F received by Vermont USCIS

Nov-14-08 NOA1 - Letter received confirming acceptance of application

Mar-02-09 NOA2 - Approval notice received

Mar-06-09 Letter informing file was sent to local Consulate where interview will take place

May-07-09 Appointment at Consulate in Rio De Janeiro (VISA approved)

May-12-09 TNT envelope delivered with VISA

May-26-09 Arrived in Miami

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.