KnightAndMagpie

Some amazing news regarding my cat

19 posts in this topic

Heya guys,

Some of you may already be aware that my parents were still pursuing custody of my cat to try and harass me through a solicitor instead, as a result of me leaving home with police assistance. This has been ongoing since December, and it was only in February that I was able to find a solicitor who would help me under Legal Aid. They had been sending letters to the boarding cattery where he's staying, not to mention through my advisor at Women's Aid. They were generally threats of sending him to court, or interrogations on where I got my money from (the cheek!), or generally nasty letters geared to stress me out.

They had a lot of money on their side, and they were pumping it all into paying a top solicitor from London to scare me. I've consistently been working with my solicitor to tell them that I'm not going to hand him over, and that they can go and complain to the courts if that's what they want. They've recently been trying to get around it by suggesting some kinda mediation, but they haven't specified what they want to achieve out of it. It's been a long, stressful road, because I'd rather eat scraps than let my Beanie languish. I would add that the boarding cattery he's staying in has cost me about £800-£900 for the time he's staying there, as it's a top-class place where I visit him weekly, and where the staff have taken amazing care of him. I've got a whole host of photographs and videos to show that he's happy there (and to keep for my own amusement :D).

Well, here's the wonderful news: they've chosen to stop pursuing the matter, for the moment, under the condition that should I no longer want my beautiful Bean (pff, yeah right) that I return him to them.

In their last letter, they more or less said things that completely undermined my reason for leaving, making it seem like I was some silly teenager who ran away from home (I'm 21, for the record). They made claims that I stole money to send to Knight, when that isn't true, and that Bean's microchip and insurance was arranged without them knowing (I signed the documents in front of my mother, with her explicit permission, when we took him from the rescue home). While it irked me, Knight put it like this: "Enjoy the bigger victory, and leave them to their pettiness."

This is one weight (temporarily!) off my mind, and I hope and pray it stays like this...then I can concentrate on finishing my studies, and the upcoming interview.

:D So, thought I'd let you guys know.

Magpie (and Bean).

DSC00317.jpg

If this isn't a happy kitty, I don't know what is.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Heya guys,

Some of you may already be aware that my parents were still pursuing custody of my cat to try and harass me through a solicitor instead, as a result of me leaving home with police assistance. This has been ongoing since December, and it was only in February that I was able to find a solicitor who would help me under Legal Aid. They had been sending letters to the boarding cattery where he's staying, not to mention through my advisor at Women's Aid. They were generally threats of sending him to court, or interrogations on where I got my money from (the cheek!), or generally nasty letters geared to stress me out.

They had a lot of money on their side, and they were pumping it all into paying a top solicitor from London to scare me. I've consistently been working with my solicitor to tell them that I'm not going to hand him over, and that they can go and complain to the courts if that's what they want. They've recently been trying to get around it by suggesting some kinda mediation, but they haven't specified what they want to achieve out of it. It's been a long, stressful road, because I'd rather eat scraps than let my Beanie languish. I would add that the boarding cattery he's staying in has cost me about £800-£900 for the time he's staying there, as it's a top-class place where I visit him weekly, and where the staff have taken amazing care of him. I've got a whole host of photographs and videos to show that he's happy there (and to keep for my own amusement :D).

Well, here's the wonderful news: they've chosen to stop pursuing the matter, for the moment, under the condition that should I no longer want my beautiful Bean (pff, yeah right) that I return him to them.

In their last letter, they more or less said things that completely undermined my reason for leaving, making it seem like I was some silly teenager who ran away from home (I'm 21, for the record). They made claims that I stole money to send to Knight, when that isn't true, and that Bean's microchip and insurance was arranged without them knowing (I signed the documents in front of my mother, with her explicit permission, when we took him from the rescue home). While it irked me, Knight put it like this: "Enjoy the bigger victory, and leave them to their pettiness."

This is one weight (temporarily!) off my mind, and I hope and pray it stays like this...then I can concentrate on finishing my studies, and the upcoming interview.

:D So, thought I'd let you guys know.

Magpie (and Bean).

DSC00317.jpg

If this isn't a happy kitty, I don't know what is.

Thats good news. It won't be long to your this side of the pond and I bet you can't wait. You deserve all the happiness etc.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

hi and congrats about your ordeal. just had a Q though: are you bringing him to the US with you? hope it wont be a hassle, i checked into bringing my cats traveling with me a year back and apparently there are some rather tight standards when it comes to pets, so i hope that youll have what you need in order to do that....he is adorable btw!

:star:

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

hi and congrats about your ordeal. just had a Q though: are you bringing him to the US with you? hope it wont be a hassle, i checked into bringing my cats traveling with me a year back and apparently there are some rather tight standards when it comes to pets, so i hope that youll have what you need in order to do that....he is adorable btw!

:star:

He's certainly coming with me -- I wouldn't dream of leaving him here. I've already done some research (on here, mostly!) about taking cats within the cabin, and he's got his Sherpa bags and a few other things prepared already. I'm planning on having his medical checkup about three weeks before I fly out, hopefully.

:D Thank you guys. He is my adorable baby.

Magpie.

funny stripey cat.

im glad, mags, about the cat. and i am even more glad about a slight de-escalation of the family drama. what meanies they are! despite the fact that you dont seem to show any signs of cracking under ALL of this pressure (poor girl), that getting one source of stress off the table will give you a little more energy to devote to getting yourself ready and through this whole process. so im very very pleased to hear your news.

im also slightly jealous that you will be going through immigration with a cat at your side. (this is a HUGE statement for me to make as i generally do not care for cats. there, ive said it, im a bad person.) having your cat with you is the next best thing to having knight with you. moral support, something to talk to (quiet, mind. you will be in a public place. hee!) to keep you from thinking about the details too much, and a CAT to distract the immigration officer with! how brilliant! 'yes, sir/ma'am, i do have all of my documents. oh, have you seen my really nice cat?'

good for you, lady.

sincerely,

lisabette.

ps in reading an old post, i somehow thought your cat's name was condor. in fact, i believe condor is the name of the airline that is flying from london to frankfurt, or something. hee.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wooo hooo, that's brilliant news and one less thing to think about.

As you said I don't believe they ever really had a case and were just doing it to get to you emotionally.

Bean does look very happy too, he's a cute kitty.

funny stripey cat.

im glad, mags, about the cat. and i am even more glad about a slight de-escalation of the family drama. what meanies they are! despite the fact that you dont seem to show any signs of cracking under ALL of this pressure (poor girl), that getting one source of stress off the table will give you a little more energy to devote to getting yourself ready and through this whole process. so im very very pleased to hear your news.

im also slightly jealous that you will be going through immigration with a cat at your side. (this is a HUGE statement for me to make as i generally do not care for cats. there, ive said it, im a bad person.) having your cat with you is the next best thing to having knight with you. moral support, something to talk to (quiet, mind. you will be in a public place. hee!) to keep you from thinking about the details too much, and a CAT to distract the immigration officer with! how brilliant! 'yes, sir/ma'am, i do have all of my documents. oh, have you seen my really nice cat?'

good for you, lady.

sincerely,

lisabette.

ps in reading an old post, i somehow thought your cat's name was condor. in fact, i believe condor is the name of the airline that is flying from london to frankfurt, or something. hee.

You're right :D Condor is the name of the connecting airline that goes from Frankfurt to Anchorage. I'm looking at it as a possible airline.

I'm just sad that they chose to end things on such a spiteful note -- they very well know the circumstances under which I left, and twenty-one years of abuse under their roof does not simply vanish into thin air. Knight will never be able to forgive them because he's seen me through all of it, and he's even witnessed my mother's behaviour when I was camming with him once (this was before his first visit). It appalled him to no end, and his opinion of them only deterioriated as they failed again and again to show they could be as human as any of us here.

It was even worse that they've said I have no right to my clothes, to the savings (most of which I've got on my own merit, thank you very much) -- and they claim I signed the documents for Bean's microchip without them knowing. My mother, in fact, witnessed me do it, and I even asked her while we were at the rescue home. They've more or less tried every angle to discredit me because people usually side with the family and not with the person who's left.

So @_@ that's a load off...for now. I'm not letting my guard down in case they throw another curveball at me.

Magpie.

Edited by KnightAndMagpie

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
funny stripey cat.

good for you, lady.

sincerely,

lisabette.

You're right :D Condor is the name of the connecting airline that goes from Frankfurt to Anchorage. I'm looking at it as a possible airline.

I'm just sad that they chose to end things on such a spiteful note -- they very well know the circumstances under which I left, and twenty-one years of abuse under their roof does not simply vanish into thin air. Knight will never be able to forgive them because he's seen me through all of it, and he's even witnessed my mother's behaviour when I was camming with him once (this was before his first visit). It appalled him to no end, and his opinion of them only deterioriated as they failed again and again to show they could be as human as any of us here.

It was even worse that they've said I have no right to my clothes, to the savings (most of which I've got on my own merit, thank you very much) -- and they claim I signed the documents for Bean's microchip without them knowing. My mother, in fact, witnessed me do it, and I even asked her while we were at the rescue home. They've more or less tried every angle to discredit me because people usually side with the family and not with the person who's left.

So @_@ that's a load off...for now. I'm not letting my guard down in case they throw another curveball at me.

Magpie.

I hope you breeak the cycle and become a good parent! Not yet mind, your only 21 and have a cat.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Magpie, that is really good news, and something for you to hold onto. I guess as I'm relatively new round here I hadn't heard about your cat, although I have read about your birth certificate problem and your family. You have my utmost sympathies for having to deal with all you do at once - studies aswell. But I have to say it sounds like you handle it great. Gosh, if anyone deserves all this visa stuff to go right for them it's you - the thought of starting a brand new life over there must be even more amazing. I try and remember your story when my own parents start guilt-tripping me and upsetting me about my emigration - it reminds me that they are just trying to care and that I'm lucky for that. Well, anyway I know I'm not particularly great at writing stuff like this but just wanted to say something! I have my fingers crossed for you and everyone else on here who is waiting for visas. I just wrote on another thread that I hope some of you are still around on here when I'm (hopefully) doing AOS and I really mean it :)

Edited by H&V

That's really good news! You certainly deserve some.

I'm leaving my kitty here :( but he'll have a good home with my parents, so it's not too bad.

Here's Darcy:

3280786379_56e0aff603.jpg

10 Nov 08 - I-129F Sent

13 Nov 08 - I-129F NOA1

06 Feb 09 - I-129F NOA2

09 Feb 09 - NVC Received

11 Feb 09 - NVC Left

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Rec'd

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Sent

24 Mar 09 - Medical

30 Mar 09 - Packet 4 Rec'd

24 Apr 09 - Interview Date

03 Jun 09 - US entry

20 Jul 09 - AOS filed

12 Aug 09 - Biometrics

05 Oct 09 - Green Card rec'd

Magpie, that is really good news, and something for you to hold onto. I guess as I'm relatively new round here I hadn't heard about your cat, although I have read about your birth certificate problem and your family. You have my utmost sympathies for having to deal with all you do at once - studies aswell. But I have to say it sounds like you handle it great. Gosh, if anyone deserves all this visa stuff to go right for them it's you - the thought of starting a brand new life over there must be even more amazing. I try and remember your story when my own parents start guilt-tripping me and upsetting me about my emigration - it reminds me that they are just trying to care and that I'm lucky for that. Well, anyway I know I'm not particularly great at writing stuff like this but just wanted to say something! I have my fingers crossed for you and everyone else on here who is waiting for visas. I just wrote on another thread that I hope some of you are still around on here when I'm (hopefully) doing AOS and I really mean it :)

Thank you so much...that really made me smile! I'll certainly be around and keep checking the forums after I get my visa (fingers crossed)! My parents, sadly, weren't behaving as they did because they cared, but rather because a girl from the culture they had tried to clamp down on me was expected to do something different and be more subservient.

:: Hugs :: Thank you again for those wonderful words.

That's really good news! You certainly deserve some.

I'm leaving my kitty here :( but he'll have a good home with my parents, so it's not too bad.

Here's Darcy:

3280786379_56e0aff603.jpg

Thank you! And ooh, he's lovely, and looks a lot like my baby! At Darcy's in loving hands, though. Bean's a silly kitty and I adore him (because I'm just as silly as he is, or the other way around). :: Hugs! ::

Magpie.

ooh. i like the live-action cat video!

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Bean is so handsome. I'm glad he's out of the tug of war now.

Here's my boy in his calendar photo. He won a contest to be Spokespet of the local SPCA (animal shelter) because he was a rescued pet.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Bean is so handsome. I'm glad he's out of the tug of war now.

Here's my boy in his calendar photo. He won a contest to be Spokespet of the local SPCA (animal shelter) because he was a rescued pet.

What a lovely thing he is. I know I'll be wanting another cat, and I'd rather go to a rescue home. Waah, the only drawback to doing that is I want to take them ALL home then, staring at me with soulful eyes...

Hugs! Thankums, Nich.

Magpie.

ms. nich -your cat has very fancy whiskers! : )

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.