VetsWife328

OK to file AOS 4-5 months after entering the US on a k1 ???

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

OK we have entered the US on 01/27/2009 on a k1 and k2 visa.James and me are getting married in 10 days (61 days after entering the US),but due to our Wedding turning out bigger than planned (his family is coming from Minnesota) and him missing a week of work (which meant losing 1200 $ ) plus a Pay Cut going into effect next week and my son and me needing another Medical (had it on april 2nd last year ) we can't come up with the AOS fees until probably late May or mid June.Is that still ok or are we in for trouble ??? Our local office is Seattle.

Also,is there gonna be another FBI check on me and if so what are they looking for seeing that the US Consulate in Frankfurt got a brandnew Police Record in January. (Of course that was crystal clear.)

And also,how much would or will the new medical be for my. 8 year old son and me¿?

Thanks

Aat

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
OK we have entered the US on 01/27/2009 on a k1 and k2 visa.James and me are getting married in 10 days (61 days after entering the US),but due to our Wedding turning out bigger than planned (his family is coming from Minnesota) and him missing a week of work (which meant losing 1200 $ ) plus a Pay Cut going into effect next week and my son and me needing another Medical (had it on april 2nd last year ) we can't come up with the AOS fees until probably late May or mid June.Is that still ok or are we in for trouble ??? Our local office is Seattle.

Also,is there gonna be another FBI check on me and if so what are they looking for seeing that the US Consulate in Frankfurt got a brandnew Police Record in January. (Of course that was crystal clear.)

And also,how much would or will the new medical be for my. 8 year old son and me¿?

Thanks

Aat

I would advise against it. Try instead to have just the civil wedding (in the meantime) and borrow if you must for the USCIS fees. If you don't get married within the 90 day timeframe you are technically no longer on K-1 status, and even though you might be able to adjust status, I believe you would then need to pay an additional $1000 fine and fill supplement A

http://immigration.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawye...-File-7227.html

Edited by vicmo

AOS Timeline (From H1-B)

09/27/2008 Sent AOS package (I-130/I-485)

09/28/2008 USPS delivered package

10/03/2008 NOA I-130, I-485

10/14/2008 Received Biometrics letter

10/16/2008 *TOUCH* I-130

10/17/2008 *TOUCH* I-130... The suspense!

10/25/2008 Biometrics appointment.. easy peasy!

10/27/2008 *TOUCH* I-485

12/29/2008 Interview Notice Date

03/02/2009 AOS interview.. Approved!

03/06/2009 Welcome letter received today! (Letter is postmarked March 4th)

01/05/2011 Applied for removal of conditions (I-751)

01/07/2011 USPS delivered package

05/19/2011 I-751 approved

10/15/2012 Applied for Naturalization (N-400)

Thanks

Aat

I would advise against it. Try instead to have just the civil wedding (in the meantime) and borrow if you must for the USCIS fees. If you don't get married within the 90 day timeframe you are technically no longer on K-1 status, and even though you might be able to adjust status, I believe you would then need to pay an additional $1000 fine and fill supplement A

Just to clarify, the OP will be marrying in 61 days after arrival in the U.S. and your link says nothing about her having to file Supplement A- please cite a source for that info...

USCIS TIMELINE

N400 (Citizenship Application):

Package sent: 02/17/2012

NOA Date: 02/21/2012

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks

Aat

Just to clarify, the OP will be marrying in 61 days after arrival in the U.S. and your link says nothing about her having to file Supplement A- please cite a source for that info...

Sorry I wasn't clear enough:

From the VisaJourney FAQ it states that your K-1 visa status expires after 90 days, married or not:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires.

If you file for AOS after 90 days, it would be based on a I-130 petition, rather than K-1:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2090827

About necessity to fill Supplement A, they may need to consult with a immigration lawyer. If you read USCIS instructions, It specifies that it is required for people who entered legally, but have fallen out of status. By not applying for AOS within 90 days the intending immigrant is out-of-status. On the other hand the instructions also state that people who entered on a K-1 visa do not need to fill supplement A, so it is a little bit unclear

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485supainstr.pdf

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17088

AOS Timeline (From H1-B)

09/27/2008 Sent AOS package (I-130/I-485)

09/28/2008 USPS delivered package

10/03/2008 NOA I-130, I-485

10/14/2008 Received Biometrics letter

10/16/2008 *TOUCH* I-130

10/17/2008 *TOUCH* I-130... The suspense!

10/25/2008 Biometrics appointment.. easy peasy!

10/27/2008 *TOUCH* I-485

12/29/2008 Interview Notice Date

03/02/2009 AOS interview.. Approved!

03/06/2009 Welcome letter received today! (Letter is postmarked March 4th)

01/05/2011 Applied for removal of conditions (I-751)

01/07/2011 USPS delivered package

05/19/2011 I-751 approved

10/15/2012 Applied for Naturalization (N-400)

Thanks

Aat

As long as you married within 90 days, you comply with the K1 requirement. Some VJ members filed AOS beyond 3 months. But do it as soon as possible.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Thanks

Aat

As long as you get married within the 90 days you should be fine. After 90 days you will be out of status until you get the NOA1 from AOS. The USCIS normally does not take any action if you Adjust Status a few months late.

You will be required to take Biometrics and another background check. The new medical will probably be $200 - $300 for each of you. You should call several Civil Surgeons to get the best price.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Congratulations by the way.... :thumbs:

Filing AOS in May/June will be perfectly OK - of course sooner rather than later is always better but nonetheless, it is OK. (Reason for filing sooner than later is to protect your status since once the I-94 expires you technically become 'Out of Status.' Again, not a huge issue if you file shortly after that.

Medical (from Germany) is valid for 1-year so as long as you file AOS before that time, you won't need another medical.

Also - unlike a previous post stated - your AOS will not be based on an I-130 (since you will have married withing the 90-day time limit). Just follow the AOS Guide and you should be just fine.

Edited by Karin und Otto

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.