Marina-Del

What cultural differences come up in your relationship?

83 posts in this topic

IMO, if your parents would get into a shouting match whenever they argued, chances are you will too, whether you were born in Brazil or France. For us, our family traits have a bigger influence on how we handle conflict than any cultural influences. My wife's mother is temperamental from time to time. She has 3 older sisters and none of them inherited this gift, but she definitely has been blessed with the same temperament.

my parents were screaming, cursing maniacs. in my last relationship, we never fought or name-called. maybe that's why it ended. too boring :devil:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
elote3.jpg

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I also would rather have a good lunch and something light in the evening, my body feels so much better, but husband has a light lunch at work, so sometimes I cook dinner. It's nice, we can sit with the brats (1 teen girl :girlwerewolf2xn: my son is moving in on July) and have a nice 'family time'. At least we try.

But I've been trying to understand american teenagers' behavior, which for me is something out of this world. I have a hard time with the the whole concept as to speak. My husband otherwise, doesn't seem to bother.

For instance, I look at my step-daughter and there is no way she will be able to drive when she turns 15. To me this is like giving a gun to a murderer, really. :dead:

My husband and I have a fairly stress-free relationship, he is american but has lived a long time abroad, so he is one of these that is willing to understand the differences and we don't argue much about it.

Only when it comes to his ex-wife and her strange ways of relating to her kid :angry:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
because it's gross!

Since the majority rules...we declare PB&J gross. Period.

PB&J is the ultimate comfort food!!!!

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
IMO, if your parents would get into a shouting match whenever they argued, chances are you will too, whether you were born in Brazil or France. For us, our family traits have a bigger influence on how we handle conflict than any cultural influences. My wife's mother is temperamental from time to time. She has 3 older sisters and none of them inherited this gift, but she definitely has been blessed with the same temperament.

my parents were screaming, cursing maniacs. in my last relationship, we never fought or name-called. maybe that's why it ended. too boring :devil:

Hmmm...interesting. Maybe? My parents were always calm with one another and they did express their anger, but mostly it was, "Now, honey..." My wife doesn't typically yell, but once she's made up her mind that she's angry about something, she lets it consume her. If I say anything, she gets more angry...if I don't say anything she won't let it go.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
planning and "personal space," which whites seem to love... :lol:

besides that she is crazy about me, ohhh yeah B)

You are so right! lol

My husband doesn't know what "personal space" is and we used to have arguments about that, well not arguments... but he didn't understand WHY on earth I would need something like that... ha ha.... And I also like to plan things(vacation etc)My husband never plan anything. Well at least that's how he used to be... He have changed his ways and so have I... Things are going great, now that we really know each other and understand each other.... :)

Timeline
Yeah! I'm having to get used to that here too -but the opposite side as you! I just can't seem to get used to the fact that I'm supposed to have bread and butter or a small sandwich for dinner! I'm getting better though! Often times it will be around dinner time and I'll start to think about how good it will be to have a big nice hot meal, and then I remember that I've already HAD a big nice hot meal and I only get to have a sandwich for dinner! hehe!

well, you don't have to eat bread and butter for dinner. I always make enough food so we can have leftover later on. charles hardly wants a repeat, so i usually make him a BLT sandwich or he'll have whatever he feels like, milk and cereal, etc. Usually he's still full from the main meal we had earlier, so he winds up only having strawberry milk or ice cream.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
boiled kernels with mayo and hot sauce and lime :P

u forgot the cheese!

*drooling*

and yeah the wife is grossed out especially about that, I'm grossed out about PB&J :P guacala!

Cucumbers/mango, hot sauce, salt and lime..... :) Or... corn on the cob, mayo, mustard and ketchup plus cheese! It stinks! I like it tho!(well, now i do....)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't know if it's cultural or not but he won't pass gas in front of me. Since all the men in my family have absolutely no problem with doing that and have actually had contests on both volume and smell, this is something new to me. :blush:

Edited by humpkinpumpkin

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
I don't know if it's cultural or not but he won't pass gas in front of me. Since all the men in my family have absolutely no problem with doing that and have actually had contests on both volume and smell, this is something new to me. :blush:

that's no cultural, that has to do with the way u were raised.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You would think that cultural differences would not be an issue between brits and americans but unfortunately they exist. Nothing that has been a problem or caused arguments but the adjusting to the new culture still has its issues. Mainly just the outlook on life and the rest of the worls is so different here. I seem to meet so many ignorant people in my day to day work. People without basic manners and good ol' common courtesy. I found myself complaining to my wife about it but I realized it made her feel bad. I feel she would have a harder time adjusting to england though so we will wait a few years before moving to england.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

being messy and doing something..half-azz

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline
You would think that cultural differences would not be an issue between brits and americans but unfortunately they exist. Nothing that has been a problem or caused arguments but the adjusting to the new culture still has its issues. Mainly just the outlook on life and the rest of the worls is so different here. I seem to meet so many ignorant people in my day to day work. People without basic manners and good ol' common courtesy. I found myself complaining to my wife about it but I realized it made her feel bad. I feel she would have a harder time adjusting to england though so we will wait a few years before moving to england.

I get the same impression fozzie. Americans seem to misunderstand courtesy and politeness with being 'weak'. So using terms like madam and sir seems to be polite enough. In the beginning I use to make some comments about my own observations and comparison between cultures was almost inevitable, but my husband seems to understand that this is also a part of the adjustment. Sometimes he even agrees with me. :)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

WOW, if only we all had that problem! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

elote3.jpg

omigod omigod omigod!!! :shocked:

Cucumbers/mango, hot sauce, salt and lime..... :) Or... corn on the cob, mayo, mustard and ketchup plus cheese! It stinks! I like it tho!(well, now i do....)

huh?

R u sure your husband isn't Mexican? :huh:

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview