Nessa

Manual Transmission - Shifting Gears

Manual Transmission - Shifting Gears  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you downshift into 1st gear while still moving?

• no
    • yes
    • i don't drive manual
    • i don't drive
  2. 2. What do you believe is best for the transmission?

• never downshift into first gear unless you've come to a complete stop
    • downshift all you want, it's not bad for the transmission
    • i don't drive manual
    • i don't drive
  3. 3. Read question #3 below:

• totally
    • no
    • no idea

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nessa,

I guess you should put this question to the guys from the Car Talk show. They love family conflicts when it comes to cars! :P

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Nessa,

I guess you should put this question to the guys from the Car Talk show. They love family conflicts when it comes to cars! :P

I used to listen to that program every Sunday a few years back (on AFN). So much fun!! Thanks for reminding me, I have to see if AFN is still airing it over here.

Timeline
Nessa,

I used to listen to that program every Sunday a few years back (on AFN). So much fun!! Thanks for reminding me, I have to see if AFN is still airing it over here.

Here in Houston we listen to it every saturday morning in the public radio. Those guys crack me up! :lol:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
:whistle: i think it depends on the year and the model of the car

sara

Exactly correct.

Older cars that did not have synchromesh would cause severe gear grinding and probably permanent transmission damage by downshifting to 1st while still in motion. My mother had a 1972 MG Midget without synchromesh. I learned the hard way about the need to have the car idling at an absolute STOP before daring to put it into first.

For any cars built after the 60s or early 70s, I think synchromesh has been universally standard on manual transmissions. I try to avoid downshifting at speeds that will cause the engine to race, but otherwise I can/do downshift to 1st , e.g. when approaching a red light, so that I stay in gear and have control over the car, rather than just coasting in neutral.

Timeline
not according to a guy here at the office who's an auto mechanic. lugging an engine is very bad for the engine, and downshifting to 1st can be done as long as the rpm does not go high. also, as the engine idles at 800-1000 rpm, it's best to shift down when the rpm is 1200-1300 or less due to lugging the engine.
:bonk: Personal experience trumps hearsay!

apparently my personal experience does not count with you, as i've put 110k on that car doing exactly what was described.

:bonk: back to you! :bonk:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

sara

Exactly correct.

Older cars that did not have synchromesh would cause severe gear grinding and probably permanent transmission damage by downshifting to 1st while still in motion. My mother had a 1972 MG Midget without synchromesh. I learned the hard way about the need to have the car idling at an absolute STOP before daring to put it into first.

For any cars built after the 60s or early 70s, I think synchromesh has been universally standard on manual transmissions. I try to avoid downshifting at speeds that will cause the engine to race, but otherwise I can/do downshift to 1st , e.g. when approaching a red light, so that I stay in gear and have control over the car, rather than just coasting in neutral.

How do you not have control of the car in neutral?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

sara

Exactly correct.

How do you not have control of the car in neutral?

Read carefully - I didn't say you have NO control over the car in neutral. Obviously you have control over the steering, and presumably you are braking as you slow to a red light or a turn etc.

However, you have LESS control, merely due to the fact that your wheels are spinning freely disconnected from the drivetrain and engine. The engine provides a natural braking mechanism on the moving vehicle, esp. in low gear while decelerating. For example, the scenario I always think of (defensive drivngi), is the guy behind you who isn't watching the road and rear ends you. If you are in neutral, you are much more liable to carry the momentum of the collision into the car in front of you in a chain reaction crash. If you are in 1st gear, your car will absorb most of the momentum of the collision and either avoid hitting the guy in front, or at least make it a less severe impact. Just basic physics.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I never said that you had no control anymore than you did.

I guess this is a personal preference thing. When you are coming to a stop and are going to be in first gear anyway, you wouldn't be going that fast in neutral or first gear. You generally have to be below a certain speed to use it. My car locks me out at 15mph+...Ground gears, pissed off the engine, and learned my lesson.

Timeline
If you are in 1st gear, your car will absorb most of the momentum of the collision and either avoid hitting the guy in front, or at least make it a less severe impact. Just basic physics.

Hmm interesting, never had though about that one. I drive the Mini sometimes and I use to have the car on 1st gear when I'm at the stop sign, for instance. But at the lights I usually shift to neutral because I don't want to 'wear off' the clutch. I keep my eyes in the rear mirror at ALL TIMES though. You never know what is coming from behind :hehe:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I remember a similar question came up on Car Talk once and their answer was that you really shouldn't down shift unless it's absolutely necessary, due to the wear and tear on the transmission. It's a lot cheaper to replace the clutch.

Nessa = 1, Charles = 0

I remember a similar question came up on Car Talk once and their answer was that you really shouldn't down shift unless it's absolutely necessary, due to the wear and tear on the transmission. It's a lot cheaper to replace the clutch.

Nessa = 1, Charles = 0

:thumbs:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dear Tom and Ray:

When coming to a stop, my wife uses only the clutch and brakes of her 5-speed Honda Accord and doesn't shift until she has stopped. I was taught to slow a car with a manual transmission by downshifting through the gears and then applying the brakes after shifting into second gear. My wife says that either alternative wears out parts of the car and she would just as soon wear out the brakes and not go through the hassle of downshifting. I maintain that the transmission is designed to take the strain of downshifting and that my method will result in fewer repair costs. Who's right?

Mike

RAY: Well, Mike, on behalf of the Board Of Augmented Transmission-related Payments (BOAT-Payments), I'd like to thank you for increasing the number of clutch replacements this year, and in doing so, helping local mechanics keep current on their discretionary installment loans.

TOM: You're right that the engine and transmission really couldn't care less when you downshift, but what you don't realize is that the clutch really suffers.

RAY: So, Mike, as much as we hate to do this in so public a forum, we're going to have print right here in the newspaper that your wife seems to know more about driving than you do. We realize that your pride and reputation were both on the line when you sent in this question, and that because of our answer, you'll probably be saying a lot more "yes, dears" than you would have liked over the next twenty to thirty years, but that's the risk you take when you go public with something like this, Mike.

TOM: When approaching a red light, the first thing you should do is step on the brakes. When the engine speed drops to near idle (before it starts to buck), step on the clutch. Then put the car in Neutral and let the clutch out. If you keep your foot on the clutch pedal while coasting or waiting for the light to change, you're wearing out an important part of the clutch called the clutch release bearing.

TOM: When it's time to move again, push in the clutch, put the car in first gear, and drive away. If you're not sure when to do this, just wait for guy behind you to start blowing the horn.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...January/02.html

i learned something today

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline
Dear Tom and Ray:

When coming to a stop, my wife uses only the clutch and brakes of her 5-speed Honda Accord and doesn't shift until she has stopped. I was taught to slow a car with a manual transmission by downshifting through the gears and then applying the brakes after shifting into second gear. My wife says that either alternative wears out parts of the car and she would just as soon wear out the brakes and not go through the hassle of downshifting. I maintain that the transmission is designed to take the strain of downshifting and that my method will result in fewer repair costs. Who's right?

Mike

RAY: Well, Mike, on behalf of the Board Of Augmented Transmission-related Payments (BOAT-Payments), I'd like to thank you for increasing the number of clutch replacements this year, and in doing so, helping local mechanics keep current on their discretionary installment loans.

TOM: You're right that the engine and transmission really couldn't care less when you downshift, but what you don't realize is that the clutch really suffers.

RAY: So, Mike, as much as we hate to do this in so public a forum, we're going to have print right here in the newspaper that your wife seems to know more about driving than you do. We realize that your pride and reputation were both on the line when you sent in this question, and that because of our answer, you'll probably be saying a lot more "yes, dears" than you would have liked over the next twenty to thirty years, but that's the risk you take when you go public with something like this, Mike.

TOM: When approaching a red light, the first thing you should do is step on the brakes. When the engine speed drops to near idle (before it starts to buck), step on the clutch. Then put the car in Neutral and let the clutch out. If you keep your foot on the clutch pedal while coasting or waiting for the light to change, you're wearing out an important part of the clutch called the clutch release bearing.

TOM: When it's time to move again, push in the clutch, put the car in first gear, and drive away. If you're not sure when to do this, just wait for guy behind you to start blowing the horn.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...January/02.html

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:pop:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil