ZansGirl

WoW'ers stand up and be counted!!!

1,116 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

THank you :)

Was this DPS warrior prot spec, or just geared as a tank? What did recount say as far as threat generated. In my experience, hunters and warlocks pull the most aggro off the tank.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It was a DK, spec'd as frost (if I remember correctly), his gear was all str/stam/def with crit and hit added. I couldn't figure out how to find the threat generated...I recently downloaded "recount". Haven't totally figured it out yet. I did see, however, that I was doing more dps than him. It was really strange.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Timeline

Well you've got me stumped then. LoL.

On recount, you can look and see "Threat Generated" on on of the many many things that it keeps track of. You can also check to see that stat for each fight.

What stumps me is that he was a DK. With the 3.1 patch I believe it was, they nerfed DK's ability to hold aggro a bit. Palis should be the best at holding aggro IMHO because they have more skills to keep aggro on them. On my lock, I pull a lot of aggro because I have really high crit and that does it for me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It was a DK, spec'd as frost (if I remember correctly), his gear was all str/stam/def with crit and hit added. I couldn't figure out how to find the threat generated...I recently downloaded "recount". Haven't totally figured it out yet. I did see, however, that I was doing more dps than him. It was really strange.

I'm not a wow guru - but you know, if you have someone playing that doesn't get it - no matter what you do, they can (and will) pull aggro. It's happens all the time - it happens to me (as dps pulling aggro) - not often but not never.

Him wearing tank gear and dpsing should not be a problem - in terms of your aggro and the green axe is not a problem either.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am sick of eggs! It feels like a waste of time to me because I know I won't complete all of the achievements so why bother? There's not enough time in the day, nor days of the week lolol!

We had a terrible experience in H VH 2 nights ago. I tanked it, hubby dps'd and it was a PUG. I was having difficulty keeping aggro and couldn't figure out why. I have all tank appropriate gear (strength, stam, def. and even an enchant or something that increases threat). I haven't had that issue in a while (since getting better gear :). One of the portals glitched so things kept coming out of it. Then on the last boss (we got the big dragon lady) she was flipping around constantly..I kept taunting, hitting, consecrating, doing everything possible and just couldn't keep her on me. Afterwards we looked up one of the other dps guys and found out he's geared as a tank, but was dps'ing, and with a GREEN axe!! In a heroic! I think that had to be the issue...he was pulling aggro due to his gear (?). What do you think? Remember I'm a noob, just trying to understand wth and if it could have been me, I want to know so I can fix the problem.

if it's a frost dk..then that is yoru issue.. frost pressence adds sooo much threat. my dk does the samd thing to my hubby's warrior if i'm in frost pressence. and he does it to me when i'm in Bear.

also..our guild the dk's are still the best tanks....even post patch.

also deathgrip..is his taunt as a dk..so if he was using that with death and decay in frost presence..it's still quite alot of threat.

if you can't watch omen / ktm..you shoulnd't be in the instance / raid. /boot imo.

oh and if your the tank..let the dps die..I do. i care about the boss and the healers..thats it. if dps wants to be stupid ie: the rogue lock mage..then they die. especially if they can't use their deagro abilities ice block feign death vanish fade etc.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I'm a little confused...it's My issue if they are frost? What can I do about it? And I wasn't sure what you meant by if I can't watch omen/ktm I should be booted from the instance. Did you mean me or the DK that was in our group?

What you say about DK's and if he was using deathgrip he was pulling lots of aggro makes sense and could be part of what the problem was. I am a pally and I was the tank and it was stated before we started that I was the tank, not him. So it's weird that i did more dps and that I was having a hard time keeping the aggro. I haven't had a hard time keeping aggro lately with other groups so it had to be something weird in this group. My issue with the green axe was that the DK had the green axe and was supposed to be DPS. You can't DPS enough with a green axe (and he wasn't, i confirmed that) in a heroic instance. It may be fine for a regular, but not heroic. It was also my clue that this guy was the problem and not me...he wasn't quite geared as a dps and not quite as a tank either. Possibly he dual spec'd and is confused.

Anyway, it's hard to fully explain I guess. I wish I could remember the guy's name so I could have you compare his and my gear to see if that was part of the problem. Gear Does matter doesn't it? Isn't that why I'm supposed to be gearing up with strength...to increase my threat/aggro? Stamina so I don't die so fast, Defense so I don't die so fast etc... That's what I read anyway.

It's unreal how much there is to learn in this game. I absolutely love love love it!! I have to say that those of you who started when WoW came out have a huge advantage over those (me) who started after WoTLK came out. This is my first character and I can see how advantageous it will be to roll other characters to see how they function.

I could nerdtalk all day about this but I will stop now :P

3/9/11 date of NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm a little confused...it's My issue if they are frost? What can I do about it? And I wasn't sure what you meant by if I can't watch omen/ktm I should be booted from the instance. Did you mean me or the DK that was in our group?

What you say about DK's and if he was using deathgrip he was pulling lots of aggro makes sense and could be part of what the problem was. I am a pally and I was the tank and it was stated before we started that I was the tank, not him. So it's weird that i did more dps and that I was having a hard time keeping the aggro. I haven't had a hard time keeping aggro lately with other groups so it had to be something weird in this group. My issue with the green axe was that the DK had the green axe and was supposed to be DPS. You can't DPS enough with a green axe (and he wasn't, i confirmed that) in a heroic instance. It may be fine for a regular, but not heroic. It was also my clue that this guy was the problem and not me...he wasn't quite geared as a dps and not quite as a tank either. Possibly he dual spec'd and is confused.

Anyway, it's hard to fully explain I guess. I wish I could remember the guy's name so I could have you compare his and my gear to see if that was part of the problem. Gear Does matter doesn't it? Isn't that why I'm supposed to be gearing up with strength...to increase my threat/aggro? Stamina so I don't die so fast, Defense so I don't die so fast etc... That's what I read anyway.

It's unreal how much there is to learn in this game. I absolutely love love love it!! I have to say that those of you who started when WoW came out have a huge advantage over those (me) who started after WoTLK came out. This is my first character and I can see how advantageous it will be to roll other characters to see how they function.

Nah, go ahead and nerd talk all day, we are here for you :lol:

I read what kimbear said to mean - that it was the DK's issue, not yours - I believe she meant it was your issue - as in that is why you couldn't keep aggro - not that it was your fault.

Yes, the green axe is an issue insofar as he should have better gear if he is going to be doing heroics - I thought you meant from an aggro standpoint.

The thing is, if a dps wants to pull aggro they can very easily.

Timeline

D'oh, I forgot about deathgrip and frost pressence. The tanks worst enemy (unless you've got a DK tank then..... /facepalm)

LoL, Kimbear, I've run with healers who only worry about the tank, if I die and we wipe, someone's gonna get a misdirect next time :whistle:

Timeline

no no no lol

you misunderstood me :) lol i meant if they pull agro not you it is their problem not yours :) your only responsibility as a tank is to tank the boss. Or if your the aoe tank concecrate exorcism etc.

ya there is alot to learn..i've been at it since the beginning :) if yoru not 100% sure of yoruself or your abilites you can always check out various sites to larn read about threat avoidance mitigation etc..i know for a while it was all overwhelming for me too.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

no no no lol

you misunderstood me :) lol i meant if they pull agro not you it is their problem not yours :) your only responsibility as a tank is to tank the boss. Or if your the aoe tank concecrate exorcism etc.

ya there is alot to learn..i've been at it since the beginning :)if yoru not 100% sure of yoruself or your abilites you can always check out various sites to larn read about threat avoidance mitigation etc..i know for a while it was all overwhelming for me too.

elitistjerks and tankspot are my friends :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

no no no lol

ya there is alot to learn..i've been at it since the beginning :)if yoru not 100% sure of yoruself or your abilites you can always check out various sites to larn read about threat avoidance mitigation etc..i know for a while it was all overwhelming for me too.

I'm so glad I never made a DK, you guys made my mind turn to mush...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

no no no lol

I'm so glad I never made a DK, you guys made my mind turn to mush...

I don't like a lot of DK's...... my mind is slowly changing. Here is why. It is a completely new class, and the starting area, you fight lvl 40's and nothing remotely close to your own lvl. It is meant to teach you about the lore, and not about the skills and talents of the class. As with every new class you play, it takes several levels to figure out your rotations and what skills work best in each scenario. With DK's you are just thrown into it and there are far too many who just randomly click their skills as soon as they regen enough runes to use it. On my realm, there is a general disdain for DK's. I will admit that I have run with several who are very skilled at what they do, and know their class. But, I have more than enough screenshots of a DK doing 900 DPS in a heroic 5 man :rofl:

There is an all DK guild on my realm called <DK R Failed Huntards> :rofl:

Timeline

Yep yep I see where i misunderstood lol. I have read tons on elitistjerks and tankspot, they are awesome resources for tanking. That's why I'm pretty sure I've geared and spec'd myself the best I can so far. I've followed their advice and opinions of others more experienced than myself in the game. I probably already ruined my reputation as a tank though. I did some downright boneheaded things the first few weeks of tanking. People sure do like to share their opinions on what you should be doing then lolol. I take it all in and have improved greatly from it.

On the DK subject...I made one. Got to lvl 59, finally through that starter area and I think I'm done with the DK. I just can't get into it. Maybe it's cuz I still have so much to learn about being a pally tank, idk.

Also just started a gnome mage. I just HAD to have a gnome (even though we play Horde). Wow, mages are powerful to start off!! Not sure how it is later on, but just wow! Compared to my pally I couldn't believe it. I think I leveled during the first quest with the mage lol.

3/9/11 date of NOA

Timeline
Yep yep I see where i misunderstood lol. I have read tons on elitistjerks and tankspot, they are awesome resources for tanking. That's why I'm pretty sure I've geared and spec'd myself the best I can so far. I've followed their advice and opinions of others more experienced than myself in the game. I probably already ruined my reputation as a tank though. I did some downright boneheaded things the first few weeks of tanking. People sure do like to share their opinions on what you should be doing then lolol. I take it all in and have improved greatly from it.

On the DK subject...I made one. Got to lvl 59, finally through that starter area and I think I'm done with the DK. I just can't get into it. Maybe it's cuz I still have so much to learn about being a pally tank, idk.

Also just started a gnome mage. I just HAD to have a gnome (even though we play Horde). Wow, mages are powerful to start off!! Not sure how it is later on, but just wow! Compared to my pally I couldn't believe it. I think I leveled during the first quest with the mage lol.

Mages are really strong in raiding. Mages, Locks, and Hunters are always tops in DPS in every raid i've ever been in. I think they nerfed them a bit a few patches ago by making mages take a lot more spirit, but they are still beastly. I'm not too impressed with their PvP abilities though. I love to PvP on my Ret Pali. Only reason I made him a human is because of every man for himself. The best racial ability i've seen, well besides expansive mind for a mage :D

Timeline

my dk is 61..and i'ts fun..i'im blood my fiance is unholy..my fav thing..is corpse exploding gnomes..we went to hellfire and had a ball..we were laughing so hard we were crying :P

as others have said Elitest jerks and tankspot are great for info..although sometimes overwhelming..too much math makes my head hurt..since my fiance is a dnd nerd i get him to do the math and tell me if something is a better upgrade for me :)

gnomes..should ...not...exist...LOL :devil:

my mage hit 42 tonight..undead mage...and she already does over 300dps..i'm frost spec atm..but at 60 i'm going frostfire baby :P

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.