jhunjhun

Canadian High School education vs. US High School education

90 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Homeschooling is looking more and more attractive.

~ Catherine

After having many many problems with all 4 of my kids schools (4 kids 4 different schools), and the busing on top of it.

I have been homeschooling, I have been teaching them the same classes they would of learned if still in school bak in Canada. I dont regret it at all, Ive done my research. I even looked into the requirements for University concerning homeschoolers.

My kids are doing much better then they were in schools here.

Danielle

Have you ever heard of someone offering homeschooling to another child besides their own? is it legal? Maybe an odd question, but I know that I cannot quit work, we'd lose our house. Can I do it and still work? My daughter and I don't get along well enough atm :(

Any links to Homeschool support sites you can recommend? Feel free to send me a PM

She can do home correspondence can't she? What state are you living in?

Is there an alternative school in your area?

Does she have one year to finish? Talk to the board of education in your area and ask them for all available resources.

There are many support groups and yes you can have other parents help with homeschooling its normaly done for subjects that are harder for some to teach their kids. Also they have complete curriculums for high school all on cd's that would work since you work. I set up my kids subjects for the year and they go to town the younger too need more attention the older two pretty much work on their own. I just check to see they are doing it and doing it right.

If you google homeschooling for your state it should bring up a list with your states requirement and links to good info. If theirs a Mardel's in your area (i think its a Christian store) they have tons of homeschooling supplies. Their is so much she can do on her own while your at work. She can also talor what she needs for College and just keep a record of what subjects she takes the Colleges like to see what she has been working on. Most colleges/Universities just want to see what classes she took and then they go by the ACT/SAT score like every other kid.

If you have any trouble finding info for homeschooling let me know I'll help ya out. Its a big thing here the school distric here even help us out with a print out of the places to get supplies.

Danielle

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Racism will never go away until special interest groups and hyphenated American titles go away. If people in the U.S. cannot come to a agreement that each person is equal and that we're all Americans, then the only result is in-fighting. I eventually see the U.S. breaking into warring factions. It's happening now, only it's political. At some point, the fight will go from words to firearms.

I have a particular issue with the title of "African American." My brother's best friend -- who is American, white and Jewish -- was born in Africa while his parents were there. I don't know why they were there, but it had something to do with their job. Anyway... my brother's friend came back to the U.S. and initially wanted to mark himself as "African American." He was told he couldn't do that since he's not black.

Okay, let's run through this: he was born in Africa to American parents. He returns to the U.S. and is told he can't call himself an African American -- despite being American and born in Africa -- simply because of his skin color.

Does that make sense? It sure doesn't to me.

Timeline
Racism will never go away until special interest groups and hyphenated American titles go away. If people in the U.S. cannot come to a agreement that each person is equal and that we're all Americans, then the only result is in-fighting. I eventually see the U.S. breaking into warring factions. It's happening now, only it's political. At some point, the fight will go from words to firearms.

I have a particular issue with the title of "African American." My brother's best friend -- who is American, white and Jewish -- was born in Africa while his parents were there. I don't know why they were there, but it had something to do with their job. Anyway... my brother's friend came back to the U.S. and initially wanted to mark himself as "African American." He was told he couldn't do that since he's not black.

Okay, let's run through this: he was born in Africa to American parents. He returns to the U.S. and is told he can't call himself an African American -- despite being American and born in Africa -- simply because of his skin color.

I agree with you totaly, I remember you telling us about your friend before and I think its dum they won't let him use that term cause that is what he is, its like ppl saying their asain american, or canadian american and so on. Things are just so messed up with trying to be correct they take it too far.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Nope and I would have fought it. He was born in Africa that is his ethnicity.

They don't ask the colour of ones skin, they ask for ethnicity.

Ahh I hate it!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Their is so much she can do on her own while your at work. She can also talor what she needs for College and just keep a record of what subjects she takes the Colleges like to see what she has been working on.

Maybe it's just me, but if my mother who home schooled me left me home all day while she worked, I probably would have slacked...like a lot.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/school_cage_fights

And we all wonder why we are scared.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

:o

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

When I was in kindergarten, I got into a fight with this girl, like a normal kids fight, nothing big. But the teachers assistant felt that I was in the wrong and took us to the janitors closet which was located in the back of our class and had the girl kick me and punch me a couple of times and told me to stand there and take it.

It was really warped. I never told on her either, I should have though. My mom would have KILLED her. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Their is so much she can do on her own while your at work. She can also talor what she needs for College and just keep a record of what subjects she takes the Colleges like to see what she has been working on.

Maybe it's just me, but if my mother who home schooled me left me home all day while she worked, I probably would have slacked...like a lot.

Me too, I also learn much better in a group setting. It definitely would depend on the person for sure. but I also agree with you... if teachers must be qualified at a University to teach at a school - what makes it okay for parents to just do it at home without the teaching credentials? Even in University when I took an online course, sure I learned stuff, but definitely less than in a classroom setting. I'm not against homeschooling or anything, but I think I just don't get it.

Udella - It makes me sad to hear that your daughter is having a hard time. I was always okay socially in high school and then when I went to University, I totally didn't fit in and I remember that miserable feeling quite well. It was terrible, but it only took 1 new friend to make it better, so I pray that your daughter finds someone she connects with. If she's almost finished, College would probably be sooooo much better for her if she goes somewhere big and diverse.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
When I was in kindergarten, I got into a fight with this girl, like a normal kids fight, nothing big. But the teachers assistant felt that I was in the wrong and took us to the janitors closet which was located in the back of our class and had the girl kick me and punch me a couple of times and told me to stand there and take it.

It was really warped. I never told on her either, I should have though. My mom would have KILLED her. :lol:

What the hell?! :o

If you tell your mom now, she just might still go whoop someone.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I got into quite a few fights when I was a teenager.

I had been psychologically and physically tormented by my so-called peers since elementary school. By the time high school came around I said "** it." If someone messed with me, I broke their nose. If they kept on me, I'd hurt them again and again. They finally learned better and stopped.

The funny thing is that so many people -- most of whom had never been bullied -- say "talk to the bully and explain to him that he's hurting your feelings." That's not only hilarious, but incredibly stupid. Bullies thrive on making others feel like scum. The only thing they understand is violence.

Timeline

What the hell?! :o

If you tell your mom now, she just might still go whoop someone.

I told her years later and she got mad at me for not telling her. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I got into quite a few fights when I was a teenager.

I had been psychologically and physically tormented by my so-called peers since elementary school. By the time high school came around I said "** it." If someone messed with me, I broke their nose. If they kept on me, I'd hurt them again and again. They finally learned better and stopped.

The funny thing is that so many people -- most of whom had never been bullied -- say "talk to the bully and explain to him that he's hurting your feelings." That's not only hilarious, but incredibly stupid. Bullies thrive on making others feel like scum. The only thing they understand is violence.

When Ethan was in grade 1 he was being bullied by this kid in his class, your typical fat kid bully. So I invited the kid to his birthday party. You could tell why the kid was a bully, his parents dropped him off and gave him ####### before leaving yet the kid hadn't done anything yet. His parents seemed like bullies themselves and back wood types. Anyways I treated him like a person at the party and maybe even a little better than the other kids.

After that he never bullied Ethan again.

I figure you just try to understand a bully, not shame them or cower away from them. There's a reason they are the way they are. Talking to them isn't going to work, they don't want to hear your feelings, they're the ones who are crying out for help.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Very smart of you, Nev. That is a great idea and a great way to handle it.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I've heard of schools were all the kids and teachers sign a social contract stating that not one of them would ever stand by and tolerate a bully in their midst. Every child and teacher agrees to do something if they see a bully in action. That contract is talked about and reinforced every day.

It sounds kind of naive but I've seen something similiar work. I went to a Catholic grade school where they drilled it into our heads over and over that witnessing someone hurting others and doing absolutely nothing was as much of a sin as abusing the people yourself is. They said that you have to do something, even if it's just going to get a teacher or parent. Again, it sounds naive but time and time again, I saw groups of children intervening when someone was being bullied. You'd be amazed at how quickly someone will run and hide when confronted by 5 or 10 classmates.

I'm not sure that it's something that would work in larger schools. It really the size of the schools here that terrify me. The largest school I ever went to before university had about 500 people.

~ Catherine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.