jhunjhun

Canadian High School education vs. US High School education

90 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
If your kids are white... they'll be tormented at an inner city Philly school.

I have heard many many horror stories about it.

I know that post isn't kosher but I am just being painfully honest.

Hmmm - imagine being my daughter, who is mixed (Blacka nd white).plenty kids of both races here, as well as plenty mixed kids too........my daughter has encountered very little, if any racism in her life and then she arrives here and it's HUGE deal. She doesn't fit in with the black kids perfectly because she doesn't have the same 'black history' as them, she doesn't fit in with the white kids (bunch of freaking snots as a whole - and yes, I'm white)............

There was racism back in Kitchener, but nothing like it is here.....even my daughter is like' what is everyone's problem...' She doesn't understand because she's from Canada and her black ancestors are straight from Africa and her dad didn't experience racism really because he lived in a country of all black people......it's new to her.

Please don't PM me or call me out in this thread about not understanding racism - trust me, I understand it and have experienced it thoroughly....I'm just saying it's more prevalent here and is affecting MY child directly, whereas it did not have as much of an impact in Canada

It is hard and it is sad and I don't think anyone has not experienced racism. You don't have to be a minority to experience racism. You just have to be a person.

Yet, I am the exact opposite. I experienced much racism in Canada for being native and have yet to experience it here. Only because natives aren't as prevalent in the area I am in, I get mistaken for Mexican all the time and get spoken to in Spanish. I don't mind that so much and I can handle that more than being called a wagon burner or a squaw.

But I do know that the racism here is quite different from the racism in Canada. It's more out there here, it's divided here, and its a constant circle here. And everyone has an excuse for their racism here I find... my BIL hates Mexicans and its all because his friend got raped by one. He doesn't hate that man, he hates his race.

If you said something like that in Canada it would be taboo.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

It has to be So tough. I can't imagine! I know I have felt odd for being white in some of the towns that I lived close to. I was actually the minority in hillside, where we used to live. I'm not saying it's bad to be the minority, but I wasn't used to being told, " You can't go down this street, ok?" by my family because of what might happen to me.

Even when the high school got out at 3:30pm, that was anotehr time of the day you couldn't go to the center of town. 1500 kids would storm out of the school and loiter in the town for the next hour or two. It's dangerous. I think overall the whole concept sucks.

But I moved because of that.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
why can't people judge a person on thew person and NOT on their skin color?? My cousin (cdn) taught school a few yrs back in S.carolina and was dating a African American, great guy!! Principal called her into the office and highly suggested that she not see him, as she didnt want to give the wrong idea to her students!! makes me soo mad!!!

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. Filled with racism, ignorance and bigotry.

yep!! but here is an EDUCATOR telling a staff member no tto date someone!! This person should be a changer!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Udella,

I agree with what you are saying. Atlanta is the most racist place I've ever lived in and I'm getting the impression that it's not an atypical city. Even my husband occasionally makes generalizations about black or hispanic people that horrify me and have caused the biggest fights we've ever had. He's been told that I will not tolerate him saying those sorts of things especially once we have children.

Bermuda is a country that is 70% black. My brother's wife is black so their child is mixed and that is pretty much the norm. Here I had wonder if I was going to have words with my in-laws when I showed them pictures of my beautiful niece.

I lived in Kitchener for many years also. I did see a little more racism there. I quit a job because of the way my boss and his wife treated my Indian and Chinese coworkers. However, Kitchener was certainly a lot better about racial and cultural differences than this place.

I'm really sorry that your child has had to deal with so much adversity.

~ Catherine

Timeline
why can't people judge a person on thew person and NOT on their skin color?? My cousin (cdn) taught school a few yrs back in S.carolina and was dating a African American, great guy!! Principal called her into the office and highly suggested that she not see him, as she didnt want to give the wrong idea to her students!! makes me soo mad!!!

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. Filled with racism, ignorance and bigotry.

yep!! but here is an EDUCATOR telling a staff member no tto date someone!! This person should be a changer!!

Should be, correct! But even educators and people we are supposed to look up to can be racist and horrible people, that's the sad thing about it all. No matter your class or education level, there are racists everywhere.

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Udella,

I agree with what you are saying. Atlanta is the most racist place I've ever lived in and I'm getting the impression that it's not an atypical city. Even my husband occasionally makes generalizations about black or hispanic people that horrify me and have caused the biggest fights we've ever had. He's been told that I will not tolerate him saying those sorts of things especially once we have children.

Bermuda is a country that is 70% black. My brother's wife is black so their child is mixed and that is pretty much the norm. Here I had wonder if I was going to have words with my in-laws when I showed them pictures of my beautiful niece.

I lived in Kitchener for many years also. I did see a little more racism there. I quit a job because of the way my boss and his wife treated my Indian and Chinese coworkers. However, Kitchener was certainly a lot better about racial and cultural differences than this place.

I'm really sorry that your child has had to deal with so much adversity.

~ Catherine

Yep my husband says things about hispanic people ALL the time and I don't understand it at all!

It really irks me! I am glad someone else is dealing with the same thing.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Homeschooling is looking more and more attractive.

~ Catherine

After having many many problems with all 4 of my kids schools (4 kids 4 different schools), and the busing on top of it.

I have been homeschooling, I have been teaching them the same classes they would of learned if still in school bak in Canada. I dont regret it at all, Ive done my research. I even looked into the requirements for University concerning homeschoolers.

My kids are doing much better then they were in schools here.

Danielle

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
If your kids are white... they'll be tormented at an inner city Philly school.

I have heard many many horror stories about it.

I know that post isn't kosher but I am just being painfully honest.

Hmmm - imagine being my daughter, who is mixed (Blacka nd white).plenty kids of both races here, as well as plenty mixed kids too........my daughter has encountered very little, if any racism in her life and then she arrives here and it's HUGE deal. She doesn't fit in with the black kids perfectly because she doesn't have the same 'black history' as them, she doesn't fit in with the white kids (bunch of freaking snots as a whole - and yes, I'm white)............

There was racism back in Kitchener, but nothing like it is here.....even my daughter is like' what is everyone's problem...' She doesn't understand because she's from Canada and her black ancestors are straight from Africa and her dad didn't experience racism really because he lived in a country of all black people......it's new to her.

Please don't PM me or call me out in this thread about not understanding racism - trust me, I understand it and have experienced it thoroughly....I'm just saying it's more prevalent here and is affecting MY child directly, whereas it did not have as much of an impact in Canada

You mean people actually have done that? :o (PM you or call you out about it, I mean.)

The US has definitely not progressed as much as they should have with regard to racism. It is very sad and very frustrating. If your daughter's counselling does not work, is there a possibility you could send her home to complete her diploma? Just a thought.

:o

That is shocking. :(

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have experienced those racist comments in both Canada and here, it is shocking.

My Son is half Polynesian - people always assume he is native or african american or whatever (Polynesian rarely crosses anyones mind, probably because there are so few of them - but anyway).

I remember two racists comments in Canada - first from our neighbour who came over to see me about something - she was having a hard time and was actually drugged - so I cut her some slack - with her comment about the new neighbours 'at least they aren't black or something'.

Then one day my son was out and someone was taking photos of him not far from where we were living at the time and someone yelled out to him 'why don't you go back where you came from'.

And here - at the first job my Husband had - working for the Elections people doing tech work - someone made a comment about the blacks and hispanics and how lazy they are. He was like :o and when he told me I was like :o

Yes, dumb people are everywhere.

Timeline

It's a shame and it happens everywhere. Even my inlaws can be racist at times, and it really bothers me. It's more my husband's grandparents than parents. They "defend" themselves by claiming all the crime in Philly is commited by young black men. Well it may be true that a predominant amount of the crimes are, unfortunately, it's not ALL and it doesn't mean all black people are criminals. So wrong. My sister and her husband are looking into adoptions from Ethiopia right now, and I told Glen if his family EVER says a word about my future niece or nephew I will kick their a$$!!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

I have no idea why I continue to be shocked by these stories. I guess that's a good thing.

I hope your sister's adoption plans go smoothly, Jill. I've often thought it would be a good thing to adopt a child from Haiti because their living conditions are terrible there. Can't stand the thought of children growing up all alone in that squalor with very little hope of getting ahead. :(

iagree.gif

Timeline
I have no idea why I continue to be shocked by these stories. I guess that's a good thing.

I hope your sister's adoption plans go smoothly, Jill. I've often thought it would be a good thing to adopt a child from Haiti because their living conditions are terrible there. Can't stand the thought of children growing up all alone in that squalor with very little hope of getting ahead. :(

Me too! :D They've been unable to conceive naturally, after quite some time and many tests, they've decided to go the adoption route. After looking at many different countries, Ethiopia seemed to be one of the "easier" countries to adopt from, so hopefully by next year! I have 2 cousins that were adopted from China (One was found in a dumpster :( ) and they were giving a warm/loving home in Canada!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

~ Catherine

After having many many problems with all 4 of my kids schools (4 kids 4 different schools), and the busing on top of it.

I have been homeschooling, I have been teaching them the same classes they would of learned if still in school bak in Canada. I dont regret it at all, Ive done my research. I even looked into the requirements for University concerning homeschoolers.

Danielle

Have you ever heard of someone offering homeschooling to another child besides their own? is it legal? Maybe an odd question, but I know that I cannot quit work, we'd lose our house. Can I do it and still work? My daughter and I don't get along well enough atm :(

Any links to Homeschool support sites you can recommend? Feel free to send me a PM

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

~ Catherine

Danielle

Have you ever heard of someone offering homeschooling to another child besides their own? is it legal? Maybe an odd question, but I know that I cannot quit work, we'd lose our house. Can I do it and still work? My daughter and I don't get along well enough atm :(

Any links to Homeschool support sites you can recommend? Feel free to send me a PM

She can do home correspondence can't she? What state are you living in?

Is there an alternative school in your area?

Does she have one year to finish? Talk to the board of education in your area and ask them for all available resources.

Donne moi une poptart!

Me too! :D They've been unable to conceive naturally, after quite some time and many tests, they've decided to go the adoption route. After looking at many different countries, Ethiopia seemed to be one of the "easier" countries to adopt from, so hopefully by next year! I have 2 cousins that were adopted from China (One was found in a dumpster :( ) and they were giving a warm/loving home in Canada!

Ohmygosh! :o:crying:

I have a friend in Canada who was adopted from Ethiopia by missionary parents. But that was a long time ago so I have no idea what the process is like now. I love watching Adoption Stories on TV. I always cry. :blush:

She can do home correspondence can't she? What state are you living in?

Is there an alternative school in your area?

Does she have one year to finish? Talk to the board of education in your area and ask them for all available resources.

I think that's a great idea.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.