Canadian Passport

32 posts in this topic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't get a new Canadian passport until my previous one expired. I just made sure I kept my certified marriage certificate with me to show why my name changed.

Now I have a new Canadian passport and a new U.S. passport, both in my married name.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For those of you who show your marriage certificate along with your old passport, do you carry around the original marriage certificate or will a copy suffice? And if a copy, does it need to be notarized?

TIA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My answer would be that I'll just present my two passports (my Canadian one, and the American one I will get), let them pick and choose which one they want to see and process, and say: "Dual"

I wouldn't do that. It'll tick them off. When you re-enter the US you're a US citizen.

When re-entering the USA, you have to show them your USA passport. In the eyes of the USA, your a USA citizen and thats that that!

When I recently traveled to canada,i used my Canada passport to enter Canada, and my USA passport to enter the USA, all went well.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline
For those of you who show your marriage certificate along with your old passport, do you carry around the original marriage certificate or will a copy suffice? And if a copy, does it need to be notarized?

TIA.

I carry a copy.... but I have never been asked to produce it. (Un-notarized) At the border they have never asked for my passport. They just want to see my greencard. When flying domestically they just want the passport. When flying internationally I have had to produce both the greencard and the passport. There have never been any questions regarding the difference in names.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi TeamJandB,

In answer to your question: I used to carry my original marriage cerficate with my old passport with my maiden last name in it.

However, after I got the "married name paper notation" in my Canadian passport (sadly, passport canada doesn't do this notation anymore), I didn't bother carrying my original certificate after that, as Passport Canada had updated that information with that paper notation in one of my passport pages.

Now that I have my new passport in my married name, I don't have to worry about this maiden name/married name issue anymore.

As for a copy of my marriage certificate, I carry a (lol..folded and scrunched up in my wallet) non-notarized photocopy of that, just in case someone does ask about it. Though in all the times that I've been over the border, I haven't been asked for it at all...

Hope this helps. Good luck with your immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting for I-751, Still waiting for Baby...)

For those of you who show your marriage certificate along with your old passport, do you carry around the original marriage certificate or will a copy suffice? And if a copy, does it need to be notarized?TIA.
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I'm bumping this thread to advise of two things that I just found out. One is that you have to have an epass and do an interactive application after the 31st of March of 2009 on the Passport Canada website. You will no longer be able to just print off the forms, fill them in and send them in.

Secondly, my passport expires in June, so I just did my application and sent everything to my girlfriend in Canada to finish and send off for me. She scrutinized everything, ensuring I had it filled out correctly, then took it to the passport office (?) she said to make sure there was nothing else needed, because she didn't want to just mail it in and then find out that it was sent back to me for something I didn't provide...

anyway, they told her that my marriage certificate was NOT sufficient documentation for a name change to my married name without something else in my married name. The staff person suggested a copy of my drivers license in my married name.

So, I scanned and emailed her a copy for her to include with my package. Gosh, unless I missed something in the documentation submission checklist then they've, or this staff member, added something else!

Just a head's up...

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm bumping this thread to advise of two things that I just found out. One is that you have to have an epass and do an interactive application after the 31st of March of 2009 on the Passport Canada website. You will no longer be able to just print off the forms, fill them in and send them in.

Secondly, my passport expires in June, so I just did my application and sent everything to my girlfriend in Canada to finish and send off for me. She scrutinized everything, ensuring I had it filled out correctly, then took it to the passport office (?) she said to make sure there was nothing else needed, because she didn't want to just mail it in and then find out that it was sent back to me for something I didn't provide...

anyway, they told her that my marriage certificate was NOT sufficient documentation for a name change to my married name without something else in my married name. The staff person suggested a copy of my drivers license in my married name.

So, I scanned and emailed her a copy for her to include with my package. Gosh, unless I missed something in the documentation submission checklist then they've, or this staff member, added something else!

Just a head's up...

When applying for a new passport in my married name they were not even interested in my marriage certificate. What was required was a piece of identification in my married name.

From Passport Canada:

At least ONE document to support your identity and the name to appear in the passport must be submitted with your application form.

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a head's up...

When applying for a new passport in my married name they were not even interested in my marriage certificate. What was required was a piece of identification in my married name.

From Passport Canada:

At least ONE document to support your identity and the name to appear in the passport must be submitted with your application form.

One would think, based on that, that a marriage certificate should suffice! I suppose they want to know that you are actually using that name. hmm

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

very good to know, thank you carla! I already did the epass thing when I got my current passport because it literally took me 10 minutes to get in and out of the passport office with it. They prioritized people with the epass so I got to walk ahead of about 20 ppl who were waiting :devil::lol: Its a very easy thing to do and will save them a lot of time for sure trying to read peoples hand writing!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

One would think, based on that, that a marriage certificate should suffice! I suppose they want to know that you are actually using that name. hmm

Yes, I still find the procedure strange. In my case I was still using my name from my first marriage, not my maiden name. They had no interest in either of my marriage certificates or divorce certificate. I suppose they figured if I could get a new drivers license and health card in my new married name that was good enough for them!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

I would post this in the Canada forum, there's been lots of discussion lately about that.

Or we can move this thread to the Canada forum. :innocent:

how do i do that?

AOS

Filed AOS............................October 17/08

NO1 for AOS,EAD, AP............October 31/08

Biometrics letter....................November 7/08

AOS sent to California.............................November 11/2008

Biometrics Appointment in York...............November 28/2008

AP Approved.............................................December 23/2008

EAD Card Received....................................January 3/2009

AP Received (I-512L)..................................January 5/2009

AOS Pending...............................................January 23/2009

AOS Approved, card on order will receive in 3 weeks..............March 10/2009

GREEN CARD RECIEVED MARCH 12/2009

ROC

VERMONT RECEIVED............................................DECEMBER 20/2010

NOA1 1 YEAR EXTENTION APPROVAL..............................DECEMBER 27/2010

RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APP.....................................JANUARY 7/2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT......................................JANUARY 21/2011

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................MAY 9/2011

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Okay, I got all my passport stuff back from the gov't yesterday with a note. :( My supporting documentation, which was my license, wasn't "certified" to be a true likeness of me by my guarantor! Ugh! AND, they said my passport pictures, from a LONG list of things wrong with the pictures...what was checked was that there is shadows/flashes in my face! I looked at the pictures, Gene looked at the pictures...I have NO idea what they're talking about....but it looks like I'll be going back and having them redone. Geesh!!

Back to square one! :huh:

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.